Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City Data ranks Jacksonville FL
Jacksonville is a great city, yes I would live there. 38 37.25%
Jacksonville is a terrible city, I would never live there. 20 19.61%
Jacksonville is pretty much middle of the pack, nothing special. 37 36.27%
I have no opinion of Jacksonville, not sure where it is exactly. 7 6.86%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 05:38 AM

23 posts, read 44,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldee View Post
Hey AmericanBosnian, have you ever considered positive thinking? You are an outsider only if your mind tells you so. You might consider reading "The Road Less Traveled" by M. Scott Peck. I hope it all works out with you. Smile and enjoy life!
Hmm by outsider I meant from ANOTHER STATE, not country. But as if that matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 05:40 AM

23 posts, read 44,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
I have met and employed several Bosnian refugees. And generally they are an industrious hard working people, they are not what I would describe as positive thinking or a smiling type people.
People are people, there is no such thing as an American. My biological father is a 9th generation "American" and my mom is from Bosnia. I smile, laugh and think positively. This is a forum, not real life. No one here even knows what I look like.

Also, hence the name AmericanBosnian. I speak Bosnian obviously, and I know many Bosnians that smile and laugh too.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:37 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanBosnian View Post
People are people, there is no such thing as an American. My biological father is a 9th generation "American" and my mom is from Bosnia. I smile, laugh and think positively. This is a forum, not real life. No one here even knows what I look like.

Also, hence the name AmericanBosnian. I speak Bosnian obviously, and I know many Bosnians that smile and laugh too.
They are a very dour and untrusting people, but you can't blame them with what's happened to them in their history.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,190 times
I recently moved to Jacksonville and I don't like it at all. I am not going to quote murder rates, etc... The city actually seems pretty safe as a whole. My two gripes are there is no city planning and things are ridiculously spread out for no reason. Its like people threw a dart and put a store there, or thugs did the same thing and moved to a nice area. Apartments are also really overpriced for what you get. I have lived in Tampa and it is a way better city.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:19 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattis View Post
I recently moved to Jacksonville and I don't like it at all. I am not going to quote murder rates, etc... The city actually seems pretty safe as a whole. My two gripes are there is no city planning and things are ridiculously spread out for no reason. Its like people threw a dart and put a store there, or thugs did the same thing and moved to a nice area. Apartments are also really overpriced for what you get. I have lived in Tampa and it is a way better city.

Move to Tampa! It's that simple.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:50 AM

399 posts, read 719,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanBosnian View Post
I agree, they try to make places seem so amazing and 1st world on TV but when you're really here its a slum and so 3rd world its ridiculous. Miami is one of the roughest, most dangerous places I have ever experienced in my life.
I agree. I live in Miami and I'm tired of this place. Over hyped. Things are over priced. People are not very nice at all. Just bad attitudes all over the place. I guess there are many miserable people here. It is 3rd world-ish. It's a rough place. I've visited Jacksonville a couple times, but never really been around the city. I've really been considering a move to Jacksonville. But is it really that bad as people make it out to be. I'm a family guy. I just want to work and provide a good environment for my family. I prefer somewhere more laid back than the crap in Miami. Cost of living is so much lower in Jax, which looks great for me. Since I need to save and cut my costs. Is Jacksonville more family friendly? I've seen real ghettos..miami has some really bad areas. Now, I know every city has it's bad spots. But is Jacksonville that bad compared to Miami in crime?

Old 11-05-2011, 10:43 AM

801 posts, read 1,512,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmain View Post
I agree. I live in Miami and I'm tired of this place. Over hyped. Things are over priced. People are not very nice at all. Just bad attitudes all over the place. I guess there are many miserable people here. It is 3rd world-ish. It's a rough place. I've visited Jacksonville a couple times, but never really been around the city. I've really been considering a move to Jacksonville. But is it really that bad as people make it out to be. I'm a family guy. I just want to work and provide a good environment for my family. I prefer somewhere more laid back than the crap in Miami. Cost of living is so much lower in Jax, which looks great for me. Since I need to save and cut my costs. Is Jacksonville more family friendly? I've seen real ghettos..miami has some really bad areas. Now, I know every city has it's bad spots. But is Jacksonville that bad compared to Miami in crime?
Jacksonville has its pockets of crime but it doesn't compare to Miami. Jacksonville is very laid back and very family friendly. A lot of people move here because of that. Based on what you said, it sounds like Jacksonville is the perfect place.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:02 AM

345 posts, read 976,388 times
I've always found Jacksonville to be a beautiful, underrated city. Great beaches, great weather, nice zoo, pleasant airport. My favorite major Florida city, and Florida is my favorite state in the lower 48, so Jax has to be near the top.

Of course, I've always preferred more humble, down to earth, non-pretentious cities over overhyped, overrated big name cities. Give me a Baltimore or a Jacksonville over a New York or a DC any day.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:45 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmain View Post
I always find it amusing that people move to Miami and think it's some nice laid back place like portrayed in the "Golden Girls"! When ever I hear the teirm "third world" to describe Miami I'm thinking of xenophobic white Anglos who are shocked that Miami is a tri-lingual multi cultural city.

How can you compare JAX to Miami regarding crime? Miami's metro population in Dade county is 3 times larger in addition that Miami's urbanized area is half of that of JAX so you have an extremely densley compacted city/metro.

If you enjoy a "city" (and I use that term loosely) that is more like a sea of suburban sprawl with a downtown area that resembles that of Omaha instead than Jacksonville is for you.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:10 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,117,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I always find it amusing that people move to Miami and think it's some nice laid back place like portrayed in the "Golden Girls"! When ever I hear the teirm "third world" to describe Miami I'm thinking of xenophobic white Anglos who are shocked that Miami is a tri-lingual multi cultural city.

How can you compare JAX to Miami regarding crime? Miami's metro population in Dade county is 3 times larger in addition that Miami's urbanized area is half of that of JAX so you have an extremely densley compacted city/metro.

If you enjoy a "city" (and I use that term loosely) that is more like a sea of suburban sprawl with a downtown area that resembles that of Omaha instead than Jacksonville is for you.
You give Miami a bad name with your indirect Jacksonville potshots. If you enjoy a city that was developed by drug money, Miami is for you. In Jacksonville, you have one hood area (Inner Northside) and pockets of hood all over. Miami has the largest concentration of ghetto from NW 8th to 215th Sts and 12th-27th Avenues along 95. Miami's multicultural, that's good, really it is. There is no middle class in Miami, you're either filthy rich or dirt poor. If you're dirt poor, you have no choice but to live in the ghetto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville