Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 04:07 PM

1 posts, read 6,382 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am currently living in Denver and have recently been offered a position in Jacksonville. I have never been to Jacksonville before (I have been to Florida though) and so was hoping people could shed some light on some questions and concerns that I have.

I am a 26 year old single male and so am slightly concerned about the lack of nightlife that I have read about in other posts. Coming from Denver, where there seems to be an abundance of nightlife and I have many friends, I am worried that meeting new people and going out will be tough in a place like Jacksonville. This assumption is based off of posts that I have read and so they may be exaggerating the situation. If anyone could clarify as to how limited the nightlife options are in Jacksonville it would be greatly appreciated. Also, before people resond to this question by saying you make your own destiny in terms of meeting people and developing friendships, I would like to respond now and say that I am a friendly, likeable guy (i think) and have no problem making friends, but I am just worried about the opportunities that Jacksonville will offer.

My second question has to do with where to live. I believe the business that I would work for is just west of University of Northern Florida and so I would like a nice area close to this that has lots to do, but isnt outrageously priced (if this is possible).

I am also concerned about fitting into a "southern" atmosphere. I know that this is a little stereotypical, but I do believe to a certain extent that cities in the south have a different atmosphere than say Denver. I have never lived in the Southeast and so am a little hesitant about moving there, especially since I wont know anyone. I am a very open person and so I dont think that it will be a huge problem, but probably more me just getting used to it. I am really into the beach (surfing, snorkeling, watersports) so I think Jacksonville will be very accomodating in that aspect. I also read that there are many golf courses? What about tennis?

Thank you for any advice or feedback that is given. I really appreciate any information that can be given to help me out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 05:15 PM

154 posts, read 323,843 times
You would find plenty of nightlife at Jacksonville Beach and it would be relatively close to your work location. The mild winters in northeast Florida are nice. You should do fine if you don't start comparing life in Jax to Denver.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:10 PM

530 posts, read 1,350,919 times
Given that I would cut off my right arm ( ok left big toe) to be living in Denver, I might not fully grasp why on earth someone would move to here from there. ( I was dragged here kicking and screaming ). On the plus side ................. well.... let me think........ok....I'm trying.........the girls your age around the area UNF are a plus...ok other then that ..what the hell are you thinking?....It is hot as hell here on a cool day, I work up a sweat when I walk out the door and breath, the beach is like a bath tub, it is the south so every other individual at the beach might be mistaken for a beached mammal, the food here is awful , ( I know it seems like the last two should not go together, go figure) there is no MLB team, no NFL team ( well sort of true ), people actually drive
around with confederate flags on their cars and don't get shot at, and it is as flat as Dennys pancake! Other then that , it isn't too bad of a place to live.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:26 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,777 times
If you move to the beaches (Jax Beach, Atlantic Beach, Neptune Beach) or the general Downtown area (Riverside & Avondale historic dsitrict, San Marco, Springfield historic district) you'll be close to plenty of night life and young professionals.

Here's some websites of these areas that will help you out, and some random photos that capture the character of each neighborhood:

www.riverside-avondale.com

This neighborhood is sort of similar to lower Downtown in Denver....both made APA's Top 10 Neighborhoods list in 2010: Great Places in America: Neighborhoods. Super trendy & popular, artistic, vibrant, walkable/bikeable with lots of parks, few big box stores, and many young professionals. Lots of other awesome press too, if you're interested. It's Jax's "it" neighborhood, per se. It's the standard for cool neighborhoods.

www.myspringfield.org

Similar in many ways to RA, but much less vibrant and in the middle of gentrification. It's also had a lot of postive press of late, in Florida Trend Magazine, Southern Living Magazine, Chicago Sun-Times, etc. I have the articles and others if you're interested.

www.mysanmarco.com &www.smpsjax.org

Again, somewhat similar to RA but more posh, less vibrant.

These neighborhoods all surrond Downtown, and are just a few miles, literally, away from eachother as well. Downtown isn't great compared to many of our peers, but still has more going on than any other part of town: Downtown Jacksonville Information and Improvement District

I prefer these to the Beaches, but they're ok too. Less unique, eclectic, and cultural...but more beach & waves though.

The Atlantic Beach Official Website!
Welcome to the City of Neptune Beach, Florida
Official Website of the City of Jacksonville Beach, FL | City of Jacksonville Beach

Old 09-28-2011, 07:34 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donisanasfan View Post
Given that I would cut off my right arm ( ok left big toe) to be living in Denver, I might not fully grasp why on earth someone would move to here from there. ( I was dragged here kicking and screaming ). On the plus side ................. well.... let me think........ok....I'm trying.........the girls your age around the area UNF are a plus...ok other then that ..what the hell are you thinking?....It is hot as hell here on a cool day, I work up a sweat when I walk out the door and breath, the beach is like a bath tub, it is the south so every other individual at the beach might be mistaken for a beached mammal, the food here is awful , ( I know it seems like the last two should not go together, go figure) there is no MLB team, no NFL team ( well sort of true ), people actually drive
around with confederate flags on their cars and don't get shot at, and it is as flat as Dennys pancake! Other then that , it isn't too bad of a place to live.
Ohh and another thing, there are miserable people like donisanasfan who live here, so that should be a definete strike against living on the First Coast of Florida. (he is still kicking and screaming)

A plus though for living here, is if your a hunter and your out for late season deer, you will have no problem on whipping it out and relieving yourself in the woods here, as you winkie won't freeze solid turn blue and fall of like it would in ''bonechillincoldass'' Denver.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:42 PM

530 posts, read 1,350,919 times
Thanks for showing the low class red neck side of Jacksonville, as that could just spare him the trip out in the first place. Even my 8 year old doesn't use the term "winkle " by the way- though maybe in your case it is appropriate.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:53 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donisanasfan View Post
Thanks for showing the low class red neck side of Jacksonville, as that could just spare him the trip out in the first place. Even my 8 year old doesn't use the term "winkle " by the way- though maybe in your case it is appropriate.
wow, don. I dont think he posts here all that often, or he'd know madcap is just being silly. let's play nice, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver303 View Post
Hi,

I am currently living in Denver and have recently been offered a position in Jacksonville. I have never been to Jacksonville before (I have been to Florida though) and so was hoping people could shed some light on some questions and concerns that I have.

I am a 26 year old single male and so am slightly concerned about the lack of nightlife that I have read about in other posts. Coming from Denver, where there seems to be an abundance of nightlife and I have many friends, I am worried that meeting new people and going out will be tough in a place like Jacksonville. This assumption is based off of posts that I have read and so they may be exaggerating the situation. If anyone could clarify as to how limited the nightlife options are in Jacksonville it would be greatly appreciated. Also, before people resond to this question by saying you make your own destiny in terms of meeting people and developing friendships, I would like to respond now and say that I am a friendly, likeable guy (i think) and have no problem making friends, but I am just worried about the opportunities that Jacksonville will offer.

My second question has to do with where to live. I believe the business that I would work for is just west of University of Northern Florida and so I would like a nice area close to this that has lots to do, but isnt outrageously priced (if this is possible).

I am also concerned about fitting into a "southern" atmosphere. I know that this is a little stereotypical, but I do believe to a certain extent that cities in the south have a different atmosphere than say Denver. I have never lived in the Southeast and so am a little hesitant about moving there, especially since I wont know anyone. I am a very open person and so I dont think that it will be a huge problem, but probably more me just getting used to it. I am really into the beach (surfing, snorkeling, watersports) so I think Jacksonville will be very accomodating in that aspect. I also read that there are many golf courses? What about tennis?

Thank you for any advice or feedback that is given. I really appreciate any information that can be given to help me out!
1) Obviously this position is important enough for you to consider leaving your friends and network in Denver. I guess you have to decide if it's also worth coming to a less exciting social scene. The short answer is that yes, the nightlife is going to be less abundant and in my opinion it will be much harder to make friends. Which doesn't necessarily mean it's gonna be hard for you, just not as easy. I think you might be disappointed in the social aspect of Jax, but not enough that you'll be unhappy and regret taking a good job opportunity.
2) I really like the Riverside area. (including Five Points, King Street District, and Shoppes of Avondale) You'd be wise to check it out and decide if it suits you. For something comparable but a bit closer to your work, look at San Marco as well. Then there's the beaches. It will give you the easiest access to dependable nightlife, but it can get old quick. Just depends on your disposition I guess. You'll also want to check out the Tinseltown/St Johns Town Center area. Sounds like this is exactly where you will work and it also offers a plethora of residential options (mostly new). It also is home to a wide assortment of bars and clubs that are quite popular with yuppies. But I'd caution, (which you'd notice immediately if you visit) that it's a quintessential suburban layout, very generic and pretty devoid of any character. If this matters to you then you'll want to go with one of those other neighborhoods. If not, then this area would probably be the easy choice.
3) Jax is full of transplants. I doubt you'd feel like an outcast in that sense. There's also plenty of water (beach of course, but also rivers, creeks, lakes, inlets, intracoastal waterway) to partake in water sports. Tons of golf courses...most in the country outside of Myrtle Beach, I believe. And yes, tennis is big here although I'm not sure there are very many popular public courts.

Overall, I seriously think that if you are outgoing and sociable you won't have too much trouble making friends in Jax. It's not the greatest social scene, but it's not horrible either. On the other hand, if that means that your social life is the most important factor in this decision, then maybe it is cause for concern because Jax may fall a little short for you.

Good luck.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:04 PM

147 posts, read 286,547 times
Riverside/Avondale has Boone Park a nationally recognized tennis facility. (so I have been told)
The Beaches area has Huguenot Park (sp?) in south Jax Beach It looked nice also.
I have been told also that over on the westside there is a newer facility on Crystal Springs Rd with nice tennis courts. I no longer play tennis due to my disability, balance being a great asset when you play tennis. I al

Old 09-29-2011, 05:16 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,503,929 times
How do you move some place kicking and sCreaming? Life is too short.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:21 AM

801 posts, read 1,512,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notSilverman View Post
Riverside/Avondale has Boone Park a nationally recognized tennis facility. (so I have been told)
The Beaches area has Huguenot Park (sp?) in south Jax Beach It looked nice also.
I have been told also that over on the westside there is a newer facility on Crystal Springs Rd with nice tennis courts. I no longer play tennis due to my disability, balance being a great asset when you play tennis. I al
Hueguenot Park is off of Hecksher Dr north of the St. Johns River.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville