Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 07:40 AM

24 posts, read 92,682 times

Advertisements

I am 25 moving to Jax. How is the town for younger adults less worried about raising a family but more into meeting people my own age and and activities to do, social life, music scene etc etc? What is the best part of town to live in(things to do vs affordability)? It's seems past threads are geared more for people wanting to start families and buy houses. I am just looking for info on young adults starting out. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 07:57 AM

227 posts, read 970,436 times
What city are you moving to Jacksonville from? I think a lot of what you will think about social life, music scene, etc. will depend on what city you are living in now.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:31 AM

24 posts, read 92,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in JAX View Post
What city are you moving to Jacksonville from? I think a lot of what you will think about social life, music scene, etc. will depend on what city you are living in now.

Moving from Miami Fortlauderdal Area

Old 08-22-2007, 10:09 AM

57 posts, read 156,560 times
I would say don't do it. I came from there myself. Jacksonville is very subdued and quiet. People seem to pretty much stay to themselves and just go to work and lock themselves in their houses. Pretty strange place. The pay scale is terrible and people just don't have the money to go out like in Ft. Lauderdale or anywhere in S. Florida. I have asked so many people where to hang out on the Southside and they all have no clue. They just stay home and don't try. Not a healthy social scene to say the least. S. Florida is full of beautiful upscale shopping areas with tons of bars and restaurants mixed in. The beaches are also the best and second to none. Zillions places to just hang out and meet people. Not here.

I know the grass always seems greener on the other side but you hail from one of the wealthiest and socially active areas in the country. People always hang out and have fun everywhere down there. Always new blood and tourists coming in. Everywhere gets boring but Jacksonville was never exciting. By the way you won't find any of the good stores here that you have there. Mostly low end. The money is just not here to support it.

Atlanta would be the place to go if you really want to move out of S. Florida. I can guarantee the social scene there. All young and vibrant.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:15 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guffb View Post
I am 25 moving to Jax. How is the town for younger adults less worried about raising a family but more into meeting people my own age and and activities to do, social life, music scene etc etc? What is the best part of town to live in(things to do vs affordability)? It's seems past threads are geared more for people wanting to start families and buy houses. I am just looking for info on young adults starting out. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
There are couple of threads on clubs and other things. There are a lot of young people there so no worries on that. Hooking up is like a sport there if you like to do that sort of thing. It's easy to date there if you want to do that b/c there are alot of singles. If you want a older woman, hot woman with nice fake breasts that is there as well. As a matter of fact I couldn't get away from that when I was there two weeks ago. Do a search for clubs and bars. There are places downtown, San Marco, Riverside (if you're into the alternative scene), Southside has numerous clubs but the Southside area is pretty large so have a focus, beaches has some bars and clubs, Orange Park as well. The music scene is pretty good. Yellow Card and Red Jump Suit aperatus were apart of the local music scene. I know there are a couple of venues were local bands get to show their wares. The hip hop scene for local rappers is somewhat strong. Not like ATL but still strong for local artists.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:49 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guffb View Post

Hi Guff,

Jax is divided into 3 main regions: Northside, Westside and Southside.

I would highly recommend choosing a location to live in the Southside region of the city. Anywhere from the Saint Johns River all the way to the Ocean.

The median age for the residents of Jax is 33, so it's a pretty young city, especially by Florida standards. Jax is not NYC, LA or Chicago, but there is plenty going on here.

There are quite a few colleges in Jacksonville, but the 2 main ones, the University of North Florida (UNF) and the Florida Communiy College of Jacksonville (FCCJ) are both located on the Southside (about 15 minutes in from the beach), so a lot of people in their early 20's live on the Southside.

For your age, I'd look into the beach communities. There's a good 20-something scene there. Affordability can be an issue, so if you can't live beach-side, consider "crossing the ditch" (crossing the Intracoastal Waterway) and coming in just a few miles from the beach (5 or 6 miles).

As Hessohott said, there are all different kinds of clubs and scenes and there are different areas of the city where the clubs are located. If you'll be visiting anytime soon, pick up an issue of Folio (free at any grocery store, pizza parlor, etc.) - this is a good resource for what's going on in the city.

I can't possibly put up all the links here, and I don't know what kind of music you like, but here's just two to give you an idea of some of the music scene here:

http://www.jackrabbitsonline.com/

http://www.freebirdlive.com/

You can also google: The Atlantic, Endo Exo, Fly's Tie......and for big venues:
http://www.jaxevents.com/jacksonvillearena/ (broken link)

http://www.jaxevents.com/timesunioncenter/ (broken link)

Other activities are whatever you're into . There are plenty of outdoor activities, many of them involving the water: kyacking, boating, surfing, jet ski, parasailing, etc. There's a decent art scene and some museums, tons of restaurants and shopping, great day trips to surrounding smaller cities (St. Augustine, Savannah...), lots of events and festivals - there's always one going on somewhere.

Again, Jax is not a top-tier city like NYC, no one is going to hand it to you, you have to seek things out yourself in this city, but if you're not a boring person, you won't be bored !

Old 08-22-2007, 11:13 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,165 times
I will say this and no disrespect to the OP or anyone else, but if you can't have fun there or hookup/date hot people there, then there's something wrong. It's one of the easiest cities to live in and the young people are spread throughout the city. If you can't get with that city then you need to check yourself!

Old 08-22-2007, 02:02 PM

57 posts, read 156,560 times
Yes, Atlanta would be the place for you. World class all the way. No comparison.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:31 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,107,768 times
I have to echo what riveree said.
When I moved here I was single and there are lots of fun places at the beach.
I wasn't bored lol the stories I could tell

karla

Old 08-22-2007, 08:12 PM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
Jacksonville Landing is a great spot for crowds and meeting people -- just as an example, this Saturday night will be hopping with a free performance by the Little River Band at 8 pm followed by an 80s party at Twisted Martini at 9. No, it's not Times Square, but Jax is not boring!
Jacksonville Landing for more info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville