Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 05:08 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,933 times

Advertisements

Besides the price from Comcast (a different type of problem entirely), I have lots and lots of outages. I have an outage about once every week or so. Now, other than that fact that you're paying for the service 24/7 and it's not always there, I also need my connection for my photography business to upload photos and to communicate with people (and they need to communicate with me).

When I talk to them they say, "There doesn't seem to be a problem on our end. We'll need to send someone out to take a look." Of course, you have to waste (at least) half a day for someone to come out and they never find a problem.

This all started from the, "installation," to be quite honest. Was moving in, first they came late. Not a HUGE deal since we were unloading the truck. The guy does all of his stuff, shows me it's working on his laptop (I was busy unloading the truck). When I go to use it, nothing.

I call Comcast. I get different answers from everyone I spoke to as to what it was (this went on for over an hour, btw). They then had to send someone out (who was late again). Turns out the original guy never did the install!!

Then, they tried to charge me for the installation which was never done!

There are more details but I don't have the time to go into them. Just know...Comcast just plain sucks....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 12:09 PM

104 posts, read 341,116 times
I also had outage after outage. I finally got fed up and switched to directv.

I can honestly say I have lost my satellite signal due to bad weather less often that I used to lose my comcast for no reason.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:28 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,933 times
I use DTV for TV and have very few problems with it. Not to mention, they've got top-notch customer support. If Comcast had reasonable support, I'd probably not hate them as much as I do...

Old 10-17-2011, 12:35 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
Note I said "customer service." I have zero problems too with my phone line and internet (which is faster than DSL). I was tempted to go with cable as well but stayed with Directv and I am glad I did.

Have you called their customer service lately and asked a simple question and got a straight answer the first time? They are so horrible they even lost my account, which is okay because they stopped billing me. LOL.
I haven't called Comcast in a pretty long time (can't remember the last time) because I haven't had any problems with the service. Robyn

Old 10-17-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post
Besides the price from Comcast (a different type of problem entirely), I have lots and lots of outages. I have an outage about once every week or so. Now, other than that fact that you're paying for the service 24/7 and it's not always there, I also need my connection for my photography business to upload photos and to communicate with people (and they need to communicate with me).

When I talk to them they say, "There doesn't seem to be a problem on our end. We'll need to send someone out to take a look." Of course, you have to waste (at least) half a day for someone to come out and they never find a problem.

This all started from the, "installation," to be quite honest. Was moving in, first they came late. Not a HUGE deal since we were unloading the truck. The guy does all of his stuff, shows me it's working on his laptop (I was busy unloading the truck). When I go to use it, nothing.

I call Comcast. I get different answers from everyone I spoke to as to what it was (this went on for over an hour, btw). They then had to send someone out (who was late again). Turns out the original guy never did the install!!

Then, they tried to charge me for the installation which was never done!

There are more details but I don't have the time to go into them. Just know...Comcast just plain sucks....
If your outages are specific to you - and not community-wide - it's possible your cable was nicked or cut partially (the cables aren't buried very deep). If I recall correctly - a service person can detect problems in the line without digging it up. But I would just have someone come out and put in a new line. Also check the cable box near the street (and the connections into the house). Last time we started having some problems (maybe 3 years ago) - the service person found the cause - a super huge fire ant's nest that had overtaken everything in the cable box near the street. Can't blame that on Comcast. Robyn

Old 10-17-2011, 12:45 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,506,210 times
I have DirectV, but am stuck with comcast for high speed internet. I have no problem with them other than I think they charge too much. Too bad I couldn't keep DSL out here.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:43 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,502,391 times
At my old house, I had constant issues with the Comcast internet dropping out at, what seemed to be, the same time of day. It took a few tech visits to figure it out, even after I replaced some of my aging network equipment, but it turned out to be their own amplifier at the street that was grounded and needed replacement. It would have been nice for them to find that sooner than later, but I'm glad they didn't keep pushing it off on me and my equipment.

Aside from that, my experience with their provided service (Cable/Internet) has been top notch.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:47 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I haven't called Comcast in a pretty long time (can't remember the last time) because I haven't had any problems with the service. Robyn
Well it stands to reason why you haven't had a problem with their service, you haven't interacted with a CSR. In general their products are pretty solid, it's their people, they are either untrained or plain dumb. Pick up the phone and ask them a simple question like having your phone number unpublished or inquire about a change in service and you get 3 different answers from 3 different people.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:45 PM

Agreed - the people on the phone are pretty dumb (OTOH - the guys who come out to the house seem to be very knowledgeable). And the JAX Beach office is simply awful - looks like a tiny pawnshop in a slum - with banged up used equipment. So now - when I need new equipment - I go to the main office on the south side.

Not that the AT&T people aren't any better. When I upgraded my internet service to the new top tier maybe 3 years ago - I wasn't getting the speed I was supposed to get. Took about 5 phone calls for AT&T to figure out that I wasn't getting the right speed because it hadn't changed my account settings .

FWIW - last summer - when I was recuperating from surgery - I did a promo trial offer from Comcast for internet service. Ran AT&T and Comcast side-by-side on 2 computers. And they were pretty much the same IMO. Same price too Eric (why do you think DSL is cheaper? - or perhaps you're talking about one of the DSL light packages).

Note that we've been in our house for 15 years - and my POV is if a service is working well - doing what I want it to do - I don't change it. So I am with AT&T for phone and internet - Comcast for cable TV. Can't use a dish because I have too many big trees that would block a dish. We used to have the companies that came before Comcast for internet (think one name was MediaOne - something like that) - but when Comcast initially took over (years ago) - it refused to support networking. That's when I switched to DSL.

The one thing all of these companies (not only A&T and Comcast - but similar companies like cell phone companies) have in common IMO is they're charging too much (I think the only thing going up faster than communication type costs is health care costs). Robyn

Old 10-17-2011, 03:51 PM

78 posts, read 243,453 times
We didn't have TOO many issues with Comcast service, other than the daily modem reset at about 2:00pm. My contract expired recently, and the price about doubled, so we downgraded to internet only (got a fantastic deal), and upgraded to Direct TV. Unfortunately, I have no other option for high speed internet But, for the price, I'm more than happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville