Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 12:41 PM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times

Advertisements

At my age, when I see at "hot women", only thing I can think of is "she's young enough to be my daughter! After that thought hits my mind, the words "hot woman" disappears!
When I was single, a good-looking (ok, HOT) gal would turn my head very fast, but now that I'm married, the old head doesn't turn that fast anymore at all!
Years ago, some 20 plus, I'd see a really good looking gal at a nightclub and think to myself "would I have a chance?" I think really hard about that question, watch what the guys looked like that asked the gal to dance and know right then and there "nope, not a chance!". I was very relationship/marriage minded during those years and I knew I couldn't afford a wedding in Cabo! Heck, I was a rodeo cowboy and, THANK GOD, that's exactly what my wife wanted at that time.
BUT, thinking about what you have told me, I can see your point now! Jax does have some great looking (ok, the word HOT again) ladies, but surely not like Vegas, Beverly Hills, Marina Del Rey, Chicago and NYC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Would you say that "hot chicks" cost money?? Your quote in bold sounds like something I would say, and I don't see it as disrespect, please LoveBoating lets not turn this into a women's rights agenda. This has nothing to do with the respect of women. Whether I respect them or not, do you really think you will change my opinion and thought process anyway? The POINT is, is Jacksonville Florida a young or old city. My take was that because of how the younger people behave ie, staying home, getting married too fast, having kids too fast, not exploring ALL of their options etc etc. This culture is the reasoning for why a young outsider might think its a city full of old people. Nothing wrong with old people at all, hell I hope to live to be an old person with many Stories to tell, but in order to tell some stories I need to have LIVED. As for as Whiskey River, from what Ive seen on the internet, it has babes that come out, but that is just one location and hot women are supposed to be there. Heck Ill even add Mavericks at the Landing that has many women that come though there, but these are bars and clubs we are talking about. I am talking about seeing women in other places, everyday places. I'm not speaking from a married mans perspective, I think you may be, but again I am not. I am in Chicago and even up here in cold I see many ladies. Its an amenity.

Last edited by BabyBoomers2; 10-18-2011 at 12:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 01:17 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,734,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
BUT, thinking about what you have told me, I can see your point now! Jax does have some great looking (ok, the word HOT again) ladies, but surely not like Vegas, Beverly Hills, Marina Del Rey, Chicago and NYC!
LOL ... Beauty (hot, good looking, whatever) is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:05 AM

1,626 posts, read 3,897,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I'm not saying Orlando is nicer than Jax, but no I do not think Jax is more of "a real city" than Orlando. In general you'll find more history and character in Jax, but there's a larger concentration of young people in Orlando. UCF is set to become the largest university in the state of FL...60,000 students certainly brings the population's age down. And in general, the Orlando metro population is just much larger than Jax's even before you factor in the number of tourists.

I'm surprised about Vancouver. I've visited a number of times but not in the last decade. Two of my uncles have invested in several condos downtown; it was my understanding that the infrastructure downtown had come a long way as a result of the Olympics. I guess if you grew up with things a certain way then change isn't always a good thing?

I still have to warn you that Jax is not gonna outdo Vancouver in amenities. The restaurants listed above are great but it's not like if THAT's what you're missing in Vancouver it's gonna be found here.

That said, maybe Jax will work for you. Keep researching.

I invested in Vancouver condos as well and did well, the cost of living is way lower here in Florida,.Food is cheaper, insurance and half are literally half of what they are up there and salaries are better, as per what I have seen so far

I don't see how Jax won't out do vancouver for amenities, there isn't much up there. Everyone I know has left, Vancouver has literally nothing but great marketing, even still I can drive somewhere if I have to in Vancouver you are stuck and the closest city is seattle
, which you have to cross the border for.Or Calgary 12 hours away

Vancouver is a town or a fishing village, it's not a big city or hub for anything at all. I have been googling around the past couple days and yes there is more here.

Vancouver wasn't dubbed " no fun city" for 10 years straight, with a documentary about it for no reason.They have literally bulldozed everything and put up condos, that's all there is down there. I lived there for 11 years

I have noticed since I have been here that Americans often think that Canadian cities are like big metropolises with everything to offer it's just not true, maybe Toronto, Canada is not the same as the USA

Old 10-19-2011, 11:34 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
I'm certainly not debating you on Vancouver as you clearly know it far better than I, and I do take your commentary seriously. That said, if you're going by reputation, Jax is also a No Fun City. That's the stigma/stereotype here. The University of North Florida (UNF) is the Univ of No Fun.

I mean, I think that objectively you're definitely taking a step down (though perhaps not a drastic one) in amenities from a purely quantitative standpoint. Greater Vancouver is about 50% larger than Greater Jax, not counting Victoria which is far closer to Vancouver than any other large city in FL is to Jax. From what I can tell, the Gross Metropolitan Product in the Vancouver metro is about 50% greater than Jax as well. There's incredible amounts of wealth which I can attest to anecdotally (is that a word?) investing in the area. I believe I've seen statistics showing it to be by far the largest destination for second homes among the rich from China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan. The urban area density for Vancouver is four times that of Jax, which does somewhat characterize how urban and cosmopolitan an area appears to be. The Skytrain in Vancouver is far more extensive than our local transit. It also helps that Vancouver is the big boy in the entire region. We aren't...in FL we are the 4th largest metro and in the entire Southeast region we fall even farther back, while Vancouver is also one of the big boys in all of Canada.

As for the restaurants that madcap mentioned which was the primary context of my comment, I don't think there's any comparison between the two cuisines. How many celebrity chefs have restaurants in Vancouver? How many times have I seen the city on tv depicted for its culinary offerings? Far more often than Jax. Diners, Drive Thrus and Dives came here once. And so did Restaurant Impossible. =P

Again, all of that said...I get your point that maybe the reputation Vancouver has gained is not really indicative of what it's like when you really live there. And I also think Jax is a pretty decent city. But I stand by my comment that we've got fewer amenities here than Vancouver.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:36 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,734,764 times
Here is a classic example of objective analysis and subjective opinion. The issue is what rates a city like Vancouver a "fun city" or "no fun city" from one's perspective. Projectmaximus (who does not live in Vancouver) has done a commendable job of researching Vancouver, perhaps thanks to Google, and come up with a host of reasons why Vancouver is anything but a "no fun city" from its Skytrain to its culinary offerings all of which are lacking in Jacksonville. Statistically he is right.

OTOH, Swan Dive, who has lived in Vancouver for 11 years, immersed in the life of the city, says it is a 'no fun city." To Project's credit, he did say "it is not indicative of what it's like when you really live there." Which brings me to the point that fun is what you make it and is not necessarily what someone else thinks it should be

Old 10-20-2011, 06:46 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
How TRUE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
Here is a classic example of objective analysis and subjective opinion. The issue is what rates a city like Vancouver a "fun city" or "no fun city" from one's perspective. Projectmaximus (who does not live in Vancouver) has done a commendable job of researching Vancouver, perhaps thanks to Google, and come up with a host of reasons why Vancouver is anything but a "no fun city" from its Skytrain to its culinary offerings all of which are lacking in Jacksonville. Statistically he is right.

OTOH, Swan Dive, who has lived in Vancouver for 11 years, immersed in the life of the city, says it is a 'no fun city." To Project's credit, he did say "it is not indicative of what it's like when you really live there." Which brings me to the point that fun is what you make it and is not necessarily what someone else thinks it should be

Old 10-23-2011, 01:28 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,566,031 times
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha hah OMG lol.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:50 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Quote:

Hehe thanks, cricket. I often try to make my analyses as objective as possible and my opinions subjective.

As for research on Vancouver...I am fairly "knowledgeable" (in quotes because as we've established there's a difference between knowing facts or knowing first-hand as a resident) about a decent number of cities...Vancouver is one of them because it was my favorite city growing up and the place I had planned to move to after I got married and started a family. (lol the marriage and family haven't happened either) Silly childhood dreams.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:36 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,566,031 times
Quote:
LOL ... Beauty (hot, good looking, whatever) is in the eye of the beholder.
No doubt, I totally agree with that.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:49 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,897,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I'm certainly not debating you on Vancouver as you clearly know it far better than I, and I do take your commentary seriously. That said, if you're going by reputation, Jax is also a No Fun City. That's the stigma/stereotype here. The University of North Florida (UNF) is the Univ of No Fun.

I mean, I think that objectively you're definitely taking a step down (though perhaps not a drastic one) in amenities from a purely quantitative standpoint. Greater Vancouver is about 50% larger than Greater Jax, not counting Victoria which is far closer to Vancouver than any other large city in FL is to Jax. From what I can tell, the Gross Metropolitan Product in the Vancouver metro is about 50% greater than Jax as well. There's incredible amounts of wealth which I can attest to anecdotally (is that a word?) investing in the area. I believe I've seen statistics showing it to be by far the largest destination for second homes among the rich from China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan. The urban area density for Vancouver is four times that of Jax, which does somewhat characterize how urban and cosmopolitan an area appears to be. The Skytrain in Vancouver is far more extensive than our local transit. It also helps that Vancouver is the big boy in the entire region. We aren't...in FL we are the 4th largest metro and in the entire Southeast region we fall even farther back, while Vancouver is also one of the big boys in all of Canada.

As for the restaurants that madcap mentioned which was the primary context of my comment, I don't think there's any comparison between the two cuisines. How many celebrity chefs have restaurants in Vancouver? How many times have I seen the city on tv depicted for its culinary offerings? Far more often than Jax. Diners, Drive Thrus and Dives came here once. And so did Restaurant Impossible. =P

Again, all of that said...I get your point that maybe the reputation Vancouver has gained is not really indicative of what it's like when you really live there. And I also think Jax is a pretty decent city. But I stand by my comment that we've got fewer amenities here than Vancouver.
Vancouver the big boys of canada? no offense but you clearly know nothing about the place.nothing personal but you don't know what you're talking about
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville