Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 04:44 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
Houses today, at least from my own observation, are built more hastily than houses at the height of the market and my guess is that in order to maximize profitability in a buyers' market builders are more likely to skimp. That is true of many industries, not just housing...

I do agree that houses back of the sand dunes in St. Augustine Beach are largely cheap decrepit houses, some of which are not even occupied and only used as getaway beach houses ruined by neglect and exposure to the elements. But on Anastasia and farther along A1A heading towards the Marina there are some very nice homes with alot of character that might appeal to the OP.
I think we can both agree that no matter where a house is - or when it was built - you really have to check it out - top to bottom - soup to nuts.

I'm not sure what area you're talking about when you say "towards the Marina". If you're talking north on A1A in the direction of the other side of the Bridge of Lions - the marina smack in downtown St. Augustine - I disagree. Is that the area you're talking about? Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 05:11 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post

I'm not sure what area you're talking about when you say "towards the Marina". If you're talking north on A1A in the direction of the other side of the Bridge of Lions - the marina smack in downtown St. Augustine - I disagree. Is that the area you're talking about? Robyn
I mis-typed. I meant south "towards Marineland" on A1A just outside of St. Augustine.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:23 PM

43 posts, read 83,635 times
St. Aug has changed so much since I was a kid. Too commercialized getting way too crowded for my liking. But the world in general is overpopulated. But I digress...

Old 10-28-2011, 06:54 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
I'm getting confused. Are you guys saying, literally, that every single bit of construction built since 1990 is shoddy? How shoddy? Can I expect to find nothing that would stand up to a severe storm?

Because if it's really that bad, then there's no point in considering the area. For one thing I've always managed to live in a well built home, even though I like newer construction, and I'm not about to move into something shoddy. Also, I worry about what this means for the financial health of the area. I mean, newer construction represents a huge percentage of what can be found there--so if everything is really that shoddy that means one big storm would result in financial ruin for the whole island.

Or, is this a little bit overblown? I know sometimes it's fun to say everything new is crap, even though the truth is it's quite possible to find homes that are just fine even if they are new (that's how it is up here in VA and also how it was when I lived in Los Angeles). On the other hand, is it possible Florida doesn't have building inspectors (or that they don't have high standards--I would expect a state with insect and storms to have some strict standards)? If that's the case that would be a good reason to reconsider moving there.

Please let me know. When you say it's not well built, exactly what do you mean? Are we talking about cosmetic stuff, medium stuff (windows might need to be replaced or something like that) or serious structural defects? Chinese drywall? Are we talking about construction so bad it's on a par with mobile homes? If it's really true that the construction there is that bad that crosses St. Augustine off the list.

Last edited by Caladium; 10-28-2011 at 07:05 PM..

Old 10-28-2011, 07:49 PM

There's the good and the bad and the ugly.

And - when it comes to storms - a big storm will wipe out the best built houses (I went through Hurricane Andrew in Miami in 1992).

Hope you find answers to some of your questions when you visit and get to look around. Robyn

Old 10-28-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
I mis-typed. I meant south "towards Marineland" on A1A just outside of St. Augustine.
Ok - gotcha. It does get nicer as you head south IMO (it's not real high end - but it isn't tacky either). Robyn

Old 10-28-2011, 08:01 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemo View Post
St. Aug has changed so much since I was a kid. Too commercialized getting way too crowded for my liking. But the world in general is overpopulated. But I digress...
Saw on the news this evening that earths population will hit 7 Billion. That 7 billionth person will be born this Monday (10-31-11) ... sometime ... somewhere.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:37 AM

1,071 posts, read 2,896,725 times
Caladium: I was out of town for a week. It appears that several posters who do not live on Anastasia Island, believe that their little corner of St. Johns County is the only piece of real estate worthy of consideration and that everything else is tacky. Trust me-- there are plenty of very nice, newer homes on Anastasia Island which will appeal to you, your home will be able to be insured by a reputable company if it is less than 18 years old, is located off the front row beachfront and you live in it full-time, and the schools here are highly rated. St. Johns County building codes are very tough. Newer homes built to their code are solidly built but everyone should hire a highly recommended building inspector to go over a house thoroughly before buying. It is true that you must drive to JAX for warehouse stores such as Costco & BJs. If this is a must for you, then look in P.V. Beach. There is no senior center on Anastasia Island. An awesome new senior center is on the downtown side of the river approx. 5 min. from the Bridge of Lions. I would not recommend Davis Shores for your needs. No beach is easily walkable from there and there is not much new construction. Aside from the main state park drive in entrance, the only walkway into the State Park which by-passes gates and is allowed for entry is at the end of Pope Road in St. Augustine Beach. There is a gate at the end of San Juan but it is locked and annual pass holders are the only ones who are supposed to have the access code. An annual pass is $63.60 for 365 continuous days. The pass is good at all Florida State Parks. Traffic going across the Bridge of Lions can get backed up on Friday and Saturday nights when there are special events going on downtown in the summertime. You may wait up to 10 minutes to get across the bridge during those times. When you live here, you learn when to expect a back-up and adjust your schedule accordingly. Ormond Beach was mentioned by a poster. I would not bother with that location. It does not have what you have indicated is important to you. If you intend to visit in Janury, keep in mind that January and most of February are our coldest months and many plants go dormant during those months.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:05 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssclulow View Post
Caladium: I was out of town for a week. It appears that several posters who do not live on Anastasia Island, believe that their little corner of St. Johns County is the only piece of real estate worthy of consideration and that everything else is tacky. Trust me-- there are plenty of very nice, newer homes on Anastasia Island which will appeal to you, your home will be able to be insured by a reputable company if it is less than 18 years old, is located off the front row beachfront and you live in it full-time, and the schools here are highly rated. St. Johns County building codes are very tough. Newer homes built to their code are solidly built but everyone should hire a highly recommended building inspector to go over a house thoroughly before buying. It is true that you must drive to JAX for warehouse stores such as Costco & BJs. If this is a must for you, then look in P.V. Beach. There is no senior center on Anastasia Island. An awesome new senior center is on the downtown side of the river approx. 5 min. from the Bridge of Lions. I would not recommend Davis Shores for your needs. No beach is easily walkable from there and there is not much new construction. Aside from the main state park drive in entrance, the only walkway into the State Park which by-passes gates and is allowed for entry is at the end of Pope Road in St. Augustine Beach. There is a gate at the end of San Juan but it is locked and annual pass holders are the only ones who are supposed to have the access code. An annual pass is $63.60 for 365 continuous days. The pass is good at all Florida State Parks. Traffic going across the Bridge of Lions can get backed up on Friday and Saturday nights when there are special events going on downtown in the summertime. You may wait up to 10 minutes to get across the bridge during those times. When you live here, you learn when to expect a back-up and adjust your schedule accordingly. Ormond Beach was mentioned by a poster. I would not bother with that location. It does not have what you have indicated is important to you. If you intend to visit in Janury, keep in mind that January and most of February are our coldest months and many plants go dormant during those months.
This is probably the best post on the subject from someone who actually lives in St Augustine itself. I myself just visit there about every other weekend to see friends and eat at some great restaurants in the area. And amble about the walkable neighborhoods (without sidewalks) on Anastasia Island with my many friends down there.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:00 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssclulow View Post
Caladium: I was out of town for a week. It appears that several posters who do not live on Anastasia Island, believe that their little corner of St. Johns County is the only piece of real estate worthy of consideration and that everything else is tacky. Trust me-- there are plenty of very nice, newer homes on Anastasia Island which will appeal to you,
Yeah, I kind of guessed that's what was going on. If there really is a serious problem with construction quality, people tend to post links, newspaper articles, and other specific data. If all you read is general sneers and comments like "come see for yourself" or "everything there is crap" then it's usually just a matter of someone not liking a certain part of town for some personal reason or maybe it isn't their cup of tea.

As for tackiness--I'll have to see just how tacky it is, but to be honest a little bit of tackiness can be very amusing. You're more likely to find your favorite hangout for a morning cuppa joe on a tacky street than along some oh-so-tasteful avenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville