Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 07:23 PM

27 posts, read 38,756 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a one bedroom apartment that is pretty cheap yet safe. I don't care if it's old or small or ugly. I just want it to be in a relatively safe area. I'm single. I have no pets.

I want to stay within a 30 minute commute to work which is near the corner of University and Beach. I'd prefer to spend under $700 a month. Under $650 would be even better. The less I can spend, the better (the more I can save). I could afford more, but I want to save money each month. I'm trying to save up while I build a credit history so I can get a mortgage to buy a house.

I've seen a few places. I lived in Hunter's Way in Mandarin which was fine, but I'd prefer to spend less if I could. Mandarin Lanai maybe? I'm not set on that part of town either. I could go anywhere. Riviera Parkway apartments? I don't know. There are so many within 30 minutes of work.

I'd really, really appreciate any help/advice. I've been searching guides and apartmentratings.com. There are so many complexes and so many conflicting reviews. I'd really, really appreciate your input. Thanks so much!

Oh and assuming my job stays stable and I stay in the Jacksonville area, I'd eventually want to buy a small house in the Riverside/Avondale area. I know there are some rooms for rent in duplexes and such in that area sometimes, but I'd want to have a place that has a porch or something with easy access to outside (I smoke...not very much, but enough to make me want a porch or something. I never smoke inside.)

Thanks again!

Last edited by jaxrehabtech; 10-27-2011 at 07:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 09:22 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,850 times
There are several apartment complexes on University Blvd just south of Beach Blvd that should meet your criteria. And also a couple just north of Beach Blvd, but just off of University Blvd.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:55 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Yeah, I think madcap is talking about the University Square Apts which are cheap, and you'd probably be able to walk to work. (and some stores too)

I also have a friend who lives up off Bartram and Atlantic. Not sure what that place is called but it's pretty nice.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Yeah, I think madcap is talking about the University Square Apts which are cheap, and you'd probably be able to walk to work. (and some stores too)

I also have a friend who lives up off Bartram and Atlantic. Not sure what that place is called but it's pretty nice.
Your right projectmaximus, Thanks! I didn't know the names of those apartments. But I believe the one on Bartram Rd and Atlantic might be Magnolia Village. If it's the one that was built where Hope Haven Childrens Hospital used to be across the street from the Publix.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:59 PM

Thanks for the info! I will add those as places to check out.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:59 PM

Hmmm...yeah University Square...literally is almost right across the street from where I work. Not what I would consider to be a safe area though. Will keep looking...

Old 11-03-2011, 10:34 AM

I've been searching more east of where I work lately. Anybody know anything about the Ocean Oaks apartments in Neptune Beach? Or the Beach Bluff apartments? Or maybe other complexes towards the beaches?

Old 11-03-2011, 03:55 PM

A few more I thought might be okay:

The Dunes, Villas at Bridge Point, Brookwood Club

Any thoughts on these?

Old 11-03-2011, 05:32 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
Your right projectmaximus, Thanks! I didn't know the names of those apartments. But I believe the one on Bartram Rd and Atlantic might be Magnolia Village. If it's the one that was built where Hope Haven Childrens Hospital used to be across the street from the Publix.
Yep, Magnolia Village. Drove by yesterday and that was the one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxrehabtech View Post
I've been searching more east of where I work lately. Anybody know anything about the Ocean Oaks apartments in Neptune Beach? Or the Beach Bluff apartments? Or maybe other complexes towards the beaches?
Ocean Oaks is alright. I've partied there a number of times, but don't know what it's like to live there. Are you really saving money by living at the beach, though? Not that you shouldn't do it...but just sayin.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:19 PM

The Brookwood club used to be fantastic back in the late 80's early 90's now it seems a bit sketchy. IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville