Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 05:48 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times

Advertisements

I know it's a little early, but I have some time today so I thought I'd do some serious trip planning.

We can take Jet Blue to ORL for $180 or United to JAX for $206. We will then be driving to Anastasia Island (we'll take a look at Amelia Island on the July trip). I think we'll fly out (and return) on a Sunday so we can avoid traffic as much as possible.

1. Would it be better to fly to Orlando? We like Jet Blue and don't mind a longer drive if it's a pleasant drive.

2. Is there a better time of day to fly. Our biggest concern is traffic driving from the airport to St. Augustine (and back).

3. How scary is the Dames Point bridge? Does it get bad traffic? My husband does not like driving over bridges with high arcs and lots of trucks. And since the airport is north of the city, do you hit a lot of city traffic or does 9A skirt around it?

4. How about the drive from ORL? I presume the best route is 95N--does the traffic get bad?

5. Is one airport nicer than the other, and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 06:27 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,831 times
1) Its cheaper to fly Jet Blue, as far as pleasant it's all interstate I-4 to Daytona and I-95 to St Augustine and Jax. Unless you take the back roads which can be scenic. 528 east (Beachline expressway) to A-1-A in Titusville and follow the coast road north, 528 goes right in front of the Orlando airport.

2) In January traffic should be fairly light headed out of Orlando.

3) LOL The Dames Point bridge isn't scary at all. It's tall, it's 6 lanes wide, it's long and it's a beautiful bridge. Especially when illuminated at night.

4) see # 1 above. Except I-95 doesn't go through Orlando, you would have to take I-4 east to I-95 and I-4 is considered the most dangerous road in Florida by some.

5)Airports are airports, they are what they are.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:46 AM

5,125 posts, read 6,123,485 times
I know it's a little early, but I have some time today so I thought I'd do some serious trip planning.

We can take Jet Blue to ORL for $180 or United to JAX for $206. We will then be driving to Anastasia Island (we'll take a look at Amelia Island on the July trip). I think we'll fly out (and return) on a Sunday so we can avoid traffic as much as possible.

1. Would it be better to fly to Orlando? We like Jet Blue and don't mind a longer drive if it's a pleasant drive.

Fly out of JIA, it is a great airport and traffic in and out and at curbside is minimal. Rental cars are exremely close by. If your going to be possibly moving here, check out the airport here.

2. Is there a better time of day to fly. Our biggest concern is traffic driving from the airport to St. Augustine (and back).

Traffic can get bad in Orlando on I-4. JIA is a breeze, taking 295 or 9A during rush hour will diminsh your traffic woes.

3. How scary is the Dames Point bridge? Does it get bad traffic? My husband does not like driving over bridges with high arcs and lots of trucks. And since the airport is north of the city, do you hit a lot of city traffic or does 9A skirt around it?

It's not bad at all, the bridge is on 9A. Alternate out of JIA would be I-95S or 295S.

4. How about the drive from ORL? I presume the best route is 95N--does the traffic get bad?

Yes it can get bad depending on the accidents or commuter times

5. Is one airport nicer than the other, and why?

We travel a lot and JIA is such an easy airport to get in and out of. I am comparing to Boston, Chicago, Atlanta, San Diego, LA etc.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:46 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,777 times
Jacksonville's airport has a reputation for it's pubic art and ease of use, fyi.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:49 AM

5,125 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
Jacksonville's airport has a reputation for it's pubic art and ease of use, fyi.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:37 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,733,784 times
Quote:
You mean in the restrooms?

Old 11-03-2011, 11:51 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times

You'll definitely have to time your flight to avoid traffic (typical rush hours) in and out of Orlando. The wrong times would make that drive as unpleasant as possible.

See above. Mid-day or late evening.

Hmm, I know some people who are scared to drive over it. I like it, but I don't really have a fear of that so I wouldn't know what it's like for him. Yes, 9A usually is a better alternative to I-95 during rush hour, but honestly the traffic on 95 shouldn't be bad unless you're traveling at peak times (around...8-9am, 5-6pm) If you avoid that, then 95 is your best bet to and from JIA.

I don't think the traffic is bad between ORL and St Aug once you're on I-95. Your concern would be I-4 when you're in and near ORL.

5. Is one airport nicer than the other, and why?[/quote]

JIA is much nicer. A lot smaller, very clean, easily accessible and security is a breeze.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:44 PM

I'll show it to my husband and see what he thinks. JIA sounds like a nice airport, but when you have gephyrophobia tall bridges and long bridges are not good things. Six lanes is good news, though--I could do the driving and drive down the middle, and that might help. We manage to get over the Bay Bridge to get to Rehoboth, and surely this can't be worse than that.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
For the pubic art?????? What a hairy experience viewing that must be.

(Sorry, couldn't resist. Actually an airport with a reputation for art sounds cool!)

Old 11-03-2011, 01:59 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,072 times
For $26 more, I'd certainly fly into Jacksonville. Traffic in Orlando can get pretty bad (and I'm from NJ just outside of NY). Normally, it's about 2 hours from Orlando (although I don't know from the airport) to Jacksonville. If you take the scenic route (up A1A), it will get SIGNIFICANTLY longer.

I'd fly into Jacksonville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville