Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 07:14 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
there are many that come on the Jax forum, from out-of-state, asking how employment/job searching is here......do we lie to them or tell them the truth?
Just stick to the simple truth: "Unemployment is high and it's difficult to get a job here."

Lying about something like that doesn't benefit anyone. And, IMO, it's equally dumb to go to the other extreme and exaggerate how bad it is. It's fun to get dramatic, but people see through that, and then they don't believe anything you say from that point on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 08:45 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Lying about something like that doesn't benefit anyone. And, IMO, it's equally dumb to go to the other extreme and exaggerate how bad it is. It's fun to get dramatic, but people see through that, and then they don't believe anything you say from that point on.
I agree. 10% unemployment is high, no question. We need to tell the truth. But some of us tend to be overdramatic, like one poster who insinuated that out-of-state people are moving here to immediately sign up for Medicaid and eat into the state's budget as if they didn't have their own Medicaid.

Things are bad but we are not in 1929-30 either. Plus we need to take into account the exceptions, people with particular skills (e.g. the medical, technical fields) are finding opportunities right here in Jacksonville. The advice I would give is do your homework before you move and think twice if you are unskilled.

A large percentage of people moving here are self-sufficient and not looking to work, retirees. Because of our climate and slow pace this part of the country (NEFL) still has a huge appeal to retired people who had enough of the rat race.

Last edited by cricketfan; 11-09-2011 at 08:54 AM..

Old 11-09-2011, 09:08 AM

8,948 posts, read 20,372,776 times
I was being a little sarcastic when I asked about telling a lie or the truth.
There is one new OP on the forum who was asking about employment as a Massage Therapist and I told her to check out this thread before making a decision to move here.
In order for my wife to get a job when we first moved here in Jan '09, she had to take a small cut in pay, but that was for a Contract position at the time. After that Contract ended, she found another job (banking industry), but had to take a $12K cut from the job she got laid-off from in North Carolina in '08. But, even with that big of a cut in salary, the benefits she gets now are really outstanding! Unlike me, she has a Bachelor's Degree and lots of experience with numerous computer softwares, analyzing skills, finance and Accounting. Her resume is pretty impressing.
Seems as if a number of people checking on the employment thing here, still have some schooling to go thru. I think a lot of company's want to hire people with whom their schooling is done and they have the major degree in their hands now! And, the folks just out of school, with that major degree in their hand, aren't necessarily going to get the salary like someone with the degee and years of experience. I guess the nice salary doesn't always go hand-in-hand with a new degree.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:45 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
I agree. 10% unemployment is high, no question. We need to tell the truth. But some of us tend to be overdramatic, like one poster who insinuated that out-of-state people are moving here to immediately sign up for Medicaid and eat into the state's budget as if they didn't have their own Medicaid.

Things are bad but we are not in 1929-30 either. Plus we need to take into account the exceptions, people with particular skills (e.g. the medical, technical fields) are finding opportunities right here in Jacksonville. The advice I would give is do your homework before you move and think twice if you are unskilled.

A large percentage of people moving here are self-sufficient and not looking to work, retirees. Because of our climate and slow pace this part of the country (NEFL) still has a huge appeal to retired people who had enough of the rat race.
The official unemployment rate of 10% is kind of misleading. Because it doesn't include people who are underemployed (in terms of their hours or their jobs) - "discouraged" workers who have "dropped out" - etc. - etc. Also - the unemployment rates vary widely in terms of different demographic factors (education - race - etc.). I think the unofficial unemployment rate is much higher.

I used to think that getting a great job in med tech was a slam dunk here. But we know a recently certified respiratory therapist - and he is having problems finding a full time job in his field (he is still working hours at the job that put him through school - being a bartender). Seems that because of the economic downturn - and higher co-pays and deductibles - people are consuming less health care unless and until they absolutely need it.

I am sure there are people whose sole access to medical care has been and always will be Medicaid. So if they're on Medicaid in state X - and they move here - they'll just sign up for Medicaid here.

And retired seniors aren't any bargain in terms of moving to a state unless they have money. If they don't - they're dual-eligible for Medicare and Medicaid (and Medicare and Medicaid have huge fights over who should pay for what). Also - one of the largest components of the Florida Medicaid budget is payments for care in skilled nursing facilities (well over 50% of all residents in skilled nursing facilities are on Medicaid). IIRC - this figure is about 30-40% of the total state Medicaid budget. The economic downturn hasn't been kind to a lot of seniors. And there are a fair number of messages on the Retirement Forum about how different states handle benefits that are of interest to lower income seniors.

I do agree with you 100% about 2 things. I wouldn't move from A to B today if I needed a job to survive unless I had a job waiting for me in place B. And what we're going through now is nothing like the Great Depression. My father is 93 - still alive - has all his marbles - and he lived through the Great Depression. And he will be glad to tell you what it was like. If you have a couple of hours . If you have a couple of more hours - he will throw in WWII . FWIW - all of our parents were children of the Great Depression. And - because my husband and I are both oldest children - some (not all) of our parents' thinking rubbed off on us - more than it rubbed off on our younger siblings.

The closest period to today that I have lived through was the recessionary/inflationary era of the 70's. I was pretty young then - just out of school - just married. Wasn't particularly unhappy. Didn't earn much - but didn't spend much or expect much either. Liked the music too - especially disco - and the Bee Gees .

I guess one difference between me and many people in my generation and many recent grads are the recent grads took on a lot of debt to get many degrees that are kind of worthless in today's job market. I place most of the blame on the grads for this (and some on the government programs that encouraged them to take on so much debt). I realized in college that if I didn't get an advanced degree and become something - I was destined to become a secretary or maybe an elementary school teacher (there was no equal opportunity for women in hiring back then). Today - the career path I chose - law - is really crowded - and probably not the best way to go. Still - you have to be kind of dense taking on $50k in debt to get a degree in fine arts (unless you think you'll inherit a trust fund soon). Note that neither I nor my husband came from wealthy families - and we worked when we were in college. My husband worked more than I did - because his family had less money than mine did. He worked as a bartender during the school year - and on a Ford Motor Company assembly line during the summers (he was a member of the UAW). Robyn

Old 11-09-2011, 06:39 PM

73 posts, read 105,139 times
I Agree with everyone else, even though my husband and I haven't lived here that long (7 months), I would HIGHLY recommend not moving here unless you have a plan, come and visit first, scope out the job market, see the prices on houses, etc, do your research before you move away from where you currently are (especially if you are employed). The only reason why my husband and I moved here is due to his school, Florida is the only state that offers the training he needs for the career he want's to be in, if it were not for that we would of probably moved to St. Louis (where our family is), Florida is an okay state, just not really found of Jacksonville in general. When we moved here it took me about 2 months to find a job, and it was a retail job not even making $8.00 an hour barely at 20 hours a week (but was thankful for the job, I try not to be picky but retail brings out the worst in me lol), my husband found a decent job while on the side going to school, but even then, while being employed, it's still difficult to make ends meet. Especially with all the good area's being so expensive for apartment wise, most apartments will cost you 700 or more in rent for a one bedroom (if your lucky), if a person is wanting a two bedroom in a 'safe, quiet' area, that would be a task, you will be lucky if you even find one for 850 a month....

I said it once and I'll say it again, my advice to someone who would be thinking of moving here would be, "Do your research, visit first, see how the job market is, etc before you make a final decision."

on the positive side; You'll always have some sunshine!! =p (even during winter, though there are days when its a bit over cast)

Old 11-09-2011, 06:44 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower82 View Post
I Agree with everyone else, even though my husband and I haven't lived here that long (7 months), I would HIGHLY recommend not moving here unless you have a plan, come and visit first, scope out the job market, see the prices on houses, etc, do your research before you move away from where you currently are (especially if you are employed). The only reason why my husband and I moved here is due to his school, Florida is the only state that offers the training he needs for the career he want's to be in, if it were not for that we would of probably moved to St. Louis (where our family is), Florida is an okay state, just not really found of Jacksonville in general. When we moved here it took me about 2 months to find a job, and it was a retail job not even making $8.00 an hour, my husband found a decent job while on the side going to school, but even then, while being employed, it's still difficult to make ends meet. Especially with all the good area's being so expensive for apartment wise, most apartments will cost you 700 or more in rent for a one bedroom (if your lucky), if a person is wanting a two bedroom in a 'safe, quiet' area, that would be a task, you will be lucky if you even find one for 850 a month.... I said it once and I'll say it again, my advice would be to someone who is thinking of moving here would be, "Do your research, visit first, see how the job market is, etc before you make a finale decision."

on the positive side; You'll always have some sunshine!! (most the time) :P
Good general advice especially the last bold quote... "Do your research, visit first, see how the job market is, etc before you make a finale decision."

Old 11-09-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
Good general advice especially the last bold quote... "Do your research, visit first, see how the job market is, etc before you make a finale decision."

Thanks! I had to edit it because I said finale instead of final. :P

I just wish the job market was a bit better here, it really is difficult to find some good work, full-time work. While working in retail I have been searching for receptionist work on the side since that is what I have my training in from school but since I lack experience (most companies require a year or more) it makes it even that more difficult.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:03 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower82 View Post
Thanks! I had to edit it because I said finale instead of final. :P
Don't worry about it! I am very fluent in typonese, and not one to jump on someone for making one, as we all do occasionally. Usually when I discover one of my own I mutter under my breath ... Tucking Fypos!!!

Old 11-09-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
Don't worry about it! I am very fluent in typonese, and not one to jump on someone for making one, as we all do occasionally. Usually when I discover one of my own I mutter under my breath ... Tucking Fypos!!!
Lol, Nice. I like that 'tucking Fypos' gonna be my new thing to say since I'm an expert at typos. =p

Old 11-10-2011, 07:12 AM

8,948 posts, read 20,372,776 times
And, what about the unemployed Viet Nam era Vets? I remember back in the 80's it was much easier for us to find a job than it is today! Of course now there are a lot of Vets from that era who are retired from jobs, not unemployed, but I'm not one of them (retired from a job). I have a number of years previous experience in a career, but I can no longer list my related military experience or college due to the years of both. And, when employers don't see "years" listed on a resume, a big red flag automatically goes up or the resume hits the can! All wife and I can be thankful for is that I have my SS/Early Retirement now.

Thing is, because of my age, Jax wouldn't be the only place I'd have a very hard time finding a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville