Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 06:14 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times

Advertisements

Since JAX is referred to as a car centric city, are cars a big deal there? Do people tend to drive expensive cars to impress people? Or, are the hybrids/electric cars popular? Or are SUVs the popular ride in town?

Does it vary depending on what part of JAX you're in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 07:16 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Since JAX is referred to as a car centric city, are cars a big deal there? Do people tend to drive expensive cars to impress people? Or, are the hybrids/electric cars popular? Or are SUVs the popular ride in town?

Does it vary depending on what part of JAX you're in?
Where I live in Duval county (way out west on a farm, for now) almost everyone drives pick-up trucks, mostly ordinary 4X4 work trucks and SUV's. But their kids all drive the lifted accessorized 4X4 mud boggin, show stopping, fancy pick-ups.

Riverside/Avondale/San Marco and out by the town center it is mostly BMW's, Volvo's, VW's, Accura's, Lexus's and Mercedes. most other areas of town it's Nissan, Toyota, Ford, Chevy's and Buick's with a lot of SUV's and Crossover vehicles thrown in.

Ohhh and on the mean streets of the northside the favorite vehicle of choice seems to be the bought used from the city ex-police cruiser with the lightbar and decals removed but still having the pillar mounted spot light and the pushbar on the front, and Cadillacs.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:29 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,498,609 times
I drive a 2005 Ford Escape, and have racked up about 140,000 miles on it from when I purchased it used from Hertz in early 2006. I'm not necessarily the type of person who "needs" to have an impressive vehicle, as I prefer function and utility over style. My wife is more of the stylish type, but she is cheap and won't foolishly spend her/our money on flashy things. We purchased a 2005 Honda Odyssey about 6 months ago, when we found out baby number 3 was on her way. (Happy Birthday Erica Lauren! 11/10/2011) The Honda van seems to be popular around my side of town, and it has some great functionality and styling. The girls love it!

Old 11-12-2011, 08:41 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,117,533 times
Quote:
Ohhh and on the mean streets of the northside the favorite vehicle of choice seems to be the bought used from the city ex-police cruiser with the lightbar and decals removed but still having the pillar mounted spot light and the pushbar on the front, and Cadillacs.
You must have been in the Moncrief/Myrtle Ave. areas Oh, you can't forget about Donks, which are old-school, souped up Chevy Caprices and Impalas with 24's and 26's, some have 28's. I drive a '95 navy blue Ford Crown Victoria with 113,432 miles, great gas mileage (28 city and hwy). It was given to me by my cousin for my 16th b-day . I had it ever since, going strong

Last edited by Northside904; 11-12-2011 at 09:30 AM..

Old 11-12-2011, 09:11 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
I live in Arlington. I drive a Nissan Quest, my wife drives a Dodge Neon. One neighbor has a Mercedes, one has an original condition '76 Cadillac, and one has a pickup truck and 3 or 4 (depending on recent purchase/sale) old Beetles as well as a VW Thing.

I don't think Jax is nearly as car-conscious as other cities I've lived in. St. Louis, MO, for example, where cars were viewed as status symbols. I think here it's more a matter of function, as you need a car to get anywhere.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:09 PM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times
The Mercedes, Jags, Lexus's and BMW's are a big hit at the SJTC area. However, we do have a nice Vet and a couple of BMW's here in our apartment complex. As for us, we have a SUV and a full-size Dodge truck.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:38 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,733,784 times
I'm generally not impressed by luxury vehicles (which are usually bought to impress). Most of the time they are owned by the banks anyway and the worst kind of loan is a car loan. I prefer a functional car (used or new) that I paid for in full and when I drive by people don't even look twice.

Btw, seems today the second worst kind of loan (investment) in today's upside-down economy is a mortgage. It used to be the best and that is why we bypassed the bank when we bought our home although the downside is we don't have the writeoff.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:44 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,498,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
...although the downside is we don't have the writeoff.
Ya gotta spend it to get it. You're better off, for sure!

Old 11-12-2011, 06:37 PM

870 posts, read 2,178,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
I drive a 2005 Ford Escape, and have racked up about 140,000 miles on it from when I purchased it used from Hertz in early 2006. I'm not necessarily the type of person who "needs" to have an impressive vehicle, as I prefer function and utility over style. My wife is more of the stylish type, but she is cheap and won't foolishly spend her/our money on flashy things. We purchased a 2005 Honda Odyssey about 6 months ago, when we found out baby number 3 was on her way. (Happy Birthday Erica Lauren! 11/10/2011) The Honda van seems to be popular around my side of town, and it has some great functionality and styling. The girls love it!
I have owned a Honda since 1984. They are awesome motor vehicles.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:34 PM

216 posts, read 951,074 times
I put my car up on blocks to save gas. Now I just use JTA skyway when possible, only if the turn style gate is freely broken.
Actually I live close to madcapmagishion and drive a 2000 Pontiac with 66,000 miles , paid for bought new and gets great mpg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville