Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 06:25 AM

43 posts, read 83,635 times

Advertisements

Section 8 housing doesn't help matters. I've watched first hand as Section 8 came in to the Argyle area and it didn't take long to see signs of deterioration. People dumping trash in yards and parking lots, cars broken in, had my storage unit broken in to,and other signs of crime and decay.
I agree with what one person said in the previous article:

"I too have seen the decline of the neighborhoods but I don't blame it soley on HUD housing. Is HUD housing a menace? Yes. But there is a solution. It is a government-run entity, so it should be treated as one. Run it like they do Navy housing (which by all means is not perfect but is for the most part safe). Bi-weekly inspections of all homes should be mandatory. Have a guard to check the id's of anyone who comes into the apartment complex (and arrest anyone with warrants). The problem lies in the the fact that once a family is given HUD housing, they allow extended "family" to move in. And none of this "my 22 year old son and his baby live with me" bull. There should be an age limit for dependents. If the government were strictly watching and monitoring their "investments" I think there would be less problems."

Last edited by Teemo; 11-22-2011 at 06:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 05:40 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,120,348 times
Quote:
"I too have seen the decline of the neighborhoods but I don't blame it soley on HUD housing. Is HUD housing a menace? Yes. But there is a solution. It is a government-run entity, so it should be treated as one. Run it like they do Navy housing (which by all means is not perfect but is for the most part safe). Bi-weekly inspections of all homes should be mandatory. Have a guard to check the id's of anyone who comes into the apartment complex (and arrest anyone with warrants). The problem lies in the the fact that once a family is given HUD housing, they allow extended "family" to move in. And none of this "my 22 year old son and his baby live with me" bull. There should be an age limit for dependents. If the government were strictly watching and monitoring their "investments" I think there would be less problems."
Agree with the bolded part, and it would drastically reduce crime that happens in public housing. If you don't have a reason to be in the projects (you don't know anyone who stays in Section 8), you aren't allowed on the premises. Also, everyone who stays in public housing should be required to have a job. It doesn't make sense that you can live in the projects rent-free.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:03 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemo View Post
Run it like they do Navy housing (which by all means is not perfect but is for the most part safe). Bi-weekly inspections of all homes should be mandatory. Have a guard to check the id's of anyone who comes into the apartment complex (and arrest anyone with warrants). The problem lies in the the fact that once a family is given HUD housing, they allow extended "family" to move in. And none of this "my 22 year old son and his baby live with me" bull. There should be an age limit for dependents. If the government were strictly watching and monitoring their "investments" I think there would be less problems."
Where is the money going to come for that? Most of you people complain about how big government is right now, could you imagine if they actually had to pay someone to inspect those Section 8 slums or provide security at them? That isnt cheap.

Honestly I think Section 8 should be one of the things on the chopping block. Issue destitute people a tent and point them in the direction of a nice wooded area, and that can be their "section".

It's just another one of the abused social programs this Welfare Generation is abusing.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:39 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,850 times
Did all of you potentially homeless people see that? ^ There's a lot of nice wooded area's around Tampa...so all you future homeless people head on down to Tampa. Plus it's warmer there too in the winter. (OH wait thats right homeless people don't have access to computers unless their staying in the library to keep warm and dry)

Old 11-25-2011, 09:35 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,506,210 times
Gentlemen, this is Jacksonville, the Gods will not save you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville