Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 07:24 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,119,805 times

Advertisements

St.Augustine and Valdosta are NOTHING alike; they're as different as night and day. One has historical signifigance, the other does not. One is outside a major city, the other is nowhere near any sizeable cities. If anything, Valdosta is 2nd in command where people from Monticello and Thomasville go to do their shopping/working, next to Tallahassee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 08:36 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,319,720 times
To OP: I dont know how on earth you came up with this wacky comparison between Valdosta and St. Augustine.

Think of it like this:

Valdosta = Detroit
St. Augustine = Beverly Hills

Old 12-04-2011, 07:55 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL yeah I figured as much. How can a town an hour or two inland (and next to a huge swamp) be the same as a coastal town?

I have no idea why people are saying these crazy things to get us to change our minds. Sometimes I feel like I'm in an episode of Scooby Doo where the spooky old caretaker will say anything to keep Shaggy and the other kids from going into the "haunted" mine.
Well, people can get "envious." Not saying that is the motivation here, but it is in a lot of cases. It's good to get feedback from here and other places, but in the end you use your own "smarts."

Old 12-04-2011, 02:25 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,896,337 times
Caladium: IMO, naysayer friends fail to understand that their perception of what is best for me is distorted by the assumption that what is best for them is also best for me. When I don't go along with their advice, they will take it personally, as a rejection of the choices they have made for their own life. As Gypsychic has said, use your own "smarts", investigate, evaluate your unique situation and follow your instincts.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:53 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,319,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Well, people can get "envious." Not saying that is the motivation here, but it is in a lot of cases. It's good to get feedback from here and other places, but in the end you use your own "smarts."
No one is envious of Valdosta

Old 01-24-2012, 04:38 PM

12 posts, read 29,127 times
OP: Having spent a great deal of time in both areas I would offer these observations-
Valdosta = more rural in feeling; very "Friday Night Lights" in that football is king at all levels, which in turn tends to help put the family unit on top of the social structure of the area; definitely a bible-belt area that also gives the area a family-friendly atmosphere and a very conservative political base; long (4 hrs) drive to big city amenities/Atlanta.

St. Augustine= beachy, touristy, artsy atmosphere which means very laid-back and more cosmopolitan; mild climate but can suffer the effects of severe weather due to coastal location; close distance to large city amenities; very historic and very attractive.

Both of these cities are located in the South which does affect much of the culture and, despite beach breezes in SA, both cities get plenty hot & muggy. I would also venture a guess that getting a decent paying job in either area would be a big challange.

That said, I would agree with the others who advised you to do your homework in order to compare the areas with your own criteria in mind since they are as different as they are alike.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:57 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Thanks for the response. Wow, funny to see this old thread again. I'd forgotten all about that conversation. That was a weird thing for our friend to say, wasn't it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville