Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 10:57 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,507,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Parts of Recount with Kevin Spacey were filmed here.
Hmmm! I don't know. Never even heard of that movie, is it any good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 11:08 AM

1,071 posts, read 2,895,925 times
In 1999, the Vilano Beach Motel was the location of WB Network's Safe Harbor which was a thirteen episode, one hour series. The Vilano Beach Motel became the Magic Beach Motel when the producers erected the Magic Beach sign. The neon sign with the jumping rabbits is still there. Rue McClanahan and Gregory Harrison starred in the series.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:10 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,984,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
Of course "like" or "dislike" is determined by personal preference and interest, but I liked it. It's about the 2000 presidential election problem with the Florida votes, the infamous "dimpled chads", and so forth.

I think it was filmed in 2008 and for/by HBO, but I've seen it on DVD.

A number of locals were cast as extras.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:18 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
The beginning is fast paced and kept my interest. The middle gets slow and boring. But if you like movies about recent history, it's cool to see a story about something we all remember.

Some of those other Jacksonville movies look like a lot of fun. Pass the popcorn! I want to see Zaat!

Old 12-07-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
The beginning is fast paced and kept my interest. The middle gets slow and boring. But if you like movies about recent history, it's cool to see a story about something we all remember.

Some of those other Jacksonville movies look like a lot of fun. Pass the popcorn! I want to see Zaat!
LOL! ZAAT a cult classic very campy and poorly photographed at little better than home movie quality. But it has a place in my heart that no other movie could. It reminds me of my uncle who passed in 1973 not long after Zaat came out. My uncle designed and made the Zaat monster's body (the head was already made)costume at his Jax Custom Canvas shop that was on St Johns Ave & Blanding Blvd here in Jax. He got the order from Mr Blanton ($500 I think) to come up with a wet suit that had a bunch of seaweed and garbage sewn on it to make it look scary and photogenic. And as I was a senior in high school and big (6'3'' 220#) back then I had to put the suit on and model it for him as he created it and for Mr Blanton when it was finished.
BTW if you were wearing it out of the water it was Hot as H**L

Last edited by madcapmagishion; 12-07-2011 at 04:13 PM..

Old 12-07-2011, 07:00 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
You have to watch Sunshine State. It was filmed on Amelia Island and has a great cast. I love Florida and picked it up on a whim and really enjoyed it. Some people might find it a bit slow, but I savored it. Caladium, if you can't find it, let me know and I'll lend it to you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshine_State_(film)

Old 12-08-2011, 06:48 AM

Sounds like an interesting movie. Has anyone seen it, and if so do you think the story is realistic or mostly Hollywood fabrication? I found a basic plot summary in the Ebert review below, if that helps.

Sunshine State :: rogerebert.com :: Reviews

Old 12-08-2011, 06:53 AM

What do you guys think of the movie Boynton Beach Club? I know Boynton Beach is a different town, but are there any neighborhoods in JAX that are like that?

Old 12-08-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Sounds like an interesting movie. Has anyone seen it, and if so do you think the story is realistic or mostly Hollywood fabrication? I found a basic plot summary in the Ebert review below, if that helps.

Sunshine State :: rogerebert.com :: Reviews
I have not seen this, but after reading the plot summary. I will look for it, to watch.
The plot sounds very interesting and could be based (not too) loosely on Fernandina with American
Beach being Lincoln Beach. As for the characters I'm sure that there are some in Fernandina Beach
that fit whats portrayed. All they needed to do was throw in a nasty, polluting mill and it could be Fernandina.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:10 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times
Wasnt there a James Bond novel in which Bond gets off a train in Jacksonville or something? Not sure if it made it into the film.

edit -yup, I knew it - it was in the novel Live and Let Die http://www.jaxhistory.com/Jacksonvil...Club%20Car.htm

I dont think it was in the movie though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville