Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2011, 12:53 AM

4 posts, read 8,270 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever live there? Found my perfect house back there but I have one very big concern which is the railroad track right behind the house. I am really looking for some insight on the noise level from the railroad. The subdivision does have a large earth berm with lots of trees and a fence on the berm to block sound but Iam still concerned about the noise and possible vibration from the trains.

I have tried to look online on csx and amtrak to see if I could find any kind of schedule of when trains might be going by to get a first hand listen to the train but I did not find any such schedule. Amtrak does have a train most mornings running from jax to Orlando and jax to Tampa but I have no guarentee that those trains actually run down threw orange park they could be crossing the st johns and going down that way. I may just have to set aside a good amount of time one day and just walk around the neighborhood and wait for a train.

So does anyone have any experience with the trains going by in that subdivision or have any clue on how many go threw there on a daily basis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 04:13 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,850 times
The trains from Jax -Orl/Tampa more than likely take the tracks that run parallel to US 17 cut over and follow Dr's Lake Drive and cross CR220 about 300 yards east of College Rd. So yes I would say it is probably the same tracks behind Orange Park South where the house your interested in living is. (the tracks cut over that way because it was cheaper than building a big RR bridge over Dr's Inlet)

Trains can be quite noisy and the sonic vibrations can be intrusive, but you do eventually get used to it...so they say.

Best bet is go down there when people are just getting home from work, drive around and just stop and ask people that you see out and about. Or sit there one day and wait for a train to rumble through.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:55 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
The trains from Jax -Orl/Tampa more than likely take the tracks that run parallel to US 17 cut over and follow Dr's Lake Drive and cross CR220 about 300 yards east of College Rd. So yes I would say it is probably the same tracks behind Orange Park South where the house your interested in living is. (the tracks cut over that way because it was cheaper than building a big RR bridge over Dr's Inlet)
I'm almost positive (99.999%) that is the Amtrak route.

Quote:
Trains can be quite noisy and the sonic vibrations can be intrusive, but you do eventually get used to it...so they say.
My parents' house in MA is adjacent to commuter rail tracks - probably half a football field between their house and the tracks with no berm or tree line. A lot of trains go by, but even at that short distance the noise is something they never hear anymore. Someone who comes to visit probably hears the first two or so, but in a very short time guests don't hear the trains either. Plus with today's engine and track technologies the vibrations are far less than they were in the "olden" days.

With a much larger distance between the tracks and Orange Park South, the sound would be much less than what my parents hear.

Quote:
Best bet is go down there when people are just getting home from work, drive around and just stop and ask people that you see out and about. Or sit there one day and wait for a train to rumble through.
Good advice.

I think the Amtrak trains go through there about 7:30am and 10:05am and 4:30pm and 10:25pm -- all just approximate times!!. Check the timetables for the Silver Meteor and Silver Star departing and arriving Jax. Amtrak Train Schedules, Timetables

Freight trains have a different schedule, one that is subject to change based on the customer needs as they change.

More than the noise of the rumbling trains would be the horns the engineers have to blow at crossings.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:20 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,502,391 times
I lived in that area a few years ago, for about a year. My house was on the other side of the tracks in Doctors Inlet Reserve, and was probably 1/3 mile from the tracks. We could hear the rumble, but it wasn't really a significant disruption. And, it goes through there at a fast enough speed to where it doesn't last long. I don't think I ever woke up to the train noise, either.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
I'm almost positive (99.999%) that is the Amtrak route.

My parents' house in MA is adjacent to commuter rail tracks - probably half a football field between their house and the tracks with no berm or tree line. A lot of trains go by, but even at that short distance the noise is something they never hear anymore. Someone who comes to visit probably hears the first two or so, but in a very short time guests don't hear the trains either. Plus with today's engine and track technologies the vibrations are far less than they were in the "olden" days.

With a much larger distance between the tracks and Orange Park South, the sound would be much less than what my parents hear.

Good advice.

I think the Amtrak trains go through there about 7:30am and 10:05am and 4:30pm and 10:25pm -- all just approximate times!!. Check the timetables for the Silver Meteor and Silver Star departing and arriving Jax. Amtrak Train Schedules, Timetables

Freight trains have a different schedule, one that is subject to change based on the customer needs as they change.

More than the noise of the rumbling trains would be the horns the engineers have to blow at crossings.

Thanks for the link. I'm going to go by the house this afternoon around 4pm and see if I can find some neighbors and ask around and wait on the amtrak to pass by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
I lived in that area a few years ago, for about a year. My house was on the other side of the tracks in Doctors Inlet Reserve, and was probably 1/3 mile from the tracks. We could hear the rumble, but it wasn't really a significant disruption. And, it goes through there at a fast enough speed to where it doesn't last long. I don't think I ever woke up to the train noise, either.
I really wish this house was 1/3 mile from the tracks but its 50-75 yards. Its literally got the back yard fence, berm with trees shrubs, fence and on other side of berm is the tracks.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:00 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,850 times
When I was much younger(16) I had a girlfriend who lived in Ortega, and her house was on Water Oak Lane and it backed up to the same tracks being discussed here.(maybe 50 feet away) The first time I went to her house we were sitting on a yard swing in back of her house and a train came by it "scared the hell outta me" didn't even faze her after about 2 weeks of sitting on the swing and (cuddling) I didn't even notice the train anymore.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
When I was much younger(16) I had a girlfriend who lived in Ortega, and her house was on Water Oak Lane and it backed up to the same tracks being discussed here.(maybe 50 feet away) The first time I went to her house we were sitting on a yard swing in back of her house and a train came by it "scared the hell outta me" didn't even faze her after about 2 weeks of sitting on the swing and (cuddling) I didn't even notice the train anymore.
I can't tell you how many times I have been stuck waiting for trains at crossing all thru orange park and Jacksonville(all the same line) over the years but now for the life of me can't get a good grasp on how loud it is. Its one of those things you don't really pay much attention to when it happens you just sit and wait for it to go by.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:09 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
I lived RIGHT by the tracks in Palo Alto CA and it's true-after the first week you don't even hear it. Good luck with your move!

Old 01-16-2012, 05:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,177 times
I, personally, live in Orange Park South... The trains come through quite often. But, like most have already mentioned - you wont give it a second thought after you have been here for a little bit. They typically only blow their horns when crossing the main intersections - and I dont know if that will be behind your house.
The only advice I can give is just make sure you enclose your yard - maintain your fencing so no kids use your property as "easy access" to get to the tracks.
There is usually the low rumble of the train - and they do move rather quickly. Best of luck on your move. Enjoy the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville