Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 10:14 PM

162 posts, read 388,418 times

Advertisements

LOL

I used to travel a road with a paper (it was called a *pulp* mill there) mill on it...The smell was beyond awful.

I just read on another post that there is a paper-mill near the northern border, near the coast on the way to Georgia.

Is this so? If yes, please tell me what you can about it

We are researching towns from Palm Coast area up through Brunswick GA and that would certainly have an impact on our final choice LOL

Gads, I just realized I can search for info on it That being said, I would still love some insight/opinions on this.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 10:20 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,894,659 times
SoManyPlaces: Near what marina in JAX were you hoping to live. JAX does not have paper mill smell. The Fernindina Beach area does have the smell. The worst, IMO, is up near Brunswick, GA.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:23 PM

Jacksonville's Riverside, Ortega, Avondale, FL | Breaking News, Photos and Blogs | jacksonville.com_

Ok, here is an article I found...just wondering how *much* of the smell has actually gone, and what areas is it still sometimes present? (I realize it is about the wind etc.)

Obviously, I believe I would read more about it, if still bad in areas...but, because I just began researching, I may have missed a lot about it. Thank you for your understanding! lol

Old 12-11-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssclulow View Post
SoManyPlaces: Near what marina in JAX were you hoping to live. JAX does not have paper mill smell. The Fernindina Beach area does have the smell. The worst, IMO, is up near Brunswick, GA.
ssclulow, Thank you! As I have just begun a search, I don't know which marinas to check into LOL It is going to be a long task, but one I look forward to.

I am so grateful to you for mentioning Brunswick! That was on our long list and I will be happy to remove it Seriously, if there is a bit of that smell I will not want to be near it.

We truly are looking more toward Florida in any case, but want to be thorough in our research. Better to get that type of info right off the bat.

Thank you again so very much.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:16 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,831 times
There are at least 12 major marina's in the Jax area all located either on the St Johns River, Ortega River, Trout River or the ICW.(inter coastal waterway) In addition there are at least that many smaller marina's spread around town on the same rivers and some smaller creeks. Queens Harbor Yacht & Country Club, a very nice but expensive gated golf course community, has it's own private marina located on property with a gate and lock system that's used to access the ICW about a mile north of Atlantic Blvd.

The Rayonier mill in Fernandina is a pulp mill.
GP Cellulose is the pulp mill in Brunswick, GA.
While both of the above mills stink at times, neither of them can be smelt in the Ortega area of town. In fact neither of them can be smelt anywhere in Jacksonville in particular. Brunswick is just to far away and the one in Fernandina can rarely be smelt on the southern end of Amelia Island.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:20 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,894,659 times
I don't know what type of boating you want to do but if you want to go out into the ocean, be sure to pick an area that has quick access to the ocean from the intercoastal waterway. Palm Coast does not have good ocean access. Also, if you will be boating under sail, there are bridges that you will not be able to go under without a draw span openning.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:05 AM

Thank you both

Yes, there are so many marinas so we will narrow it down to where my husband will find the best work and where there is a walkable downtown for me .

I will come back with more info and questions as I have them! lol

I am relieved to have the info on the pulp mills...they are not pleasant.

We will not be sailing...at least not for years. Not my husbands interest.

I have been wondering about the ICW access and I happen to look for that tag line when searching.

It will take time but I search through Marinas.com and use the web links provided and finding some with restaurants and some shopping within walking distance is often difficult to determine.

When we first decided to check into Florida, I loved what I saw of Sarasota b/c of the downtown and marina, all close together. The weather is certainly *warmer* there and I prefer it cooler, not to mention that there is something about larger waves that appeal to me.

Likely because that is what I have always known.

We have been in Central TX for a few years now and I miss the ocean something fierce! Going to the beach and *sunsoaking* is no longer on my list, but walking along a boardwalk or safety walk next to the ocean would be heavenly, as well as walking on the beach sometimes.

Sitting in a restaurant (or outside on a patio) watching the boats coming and going appeals to us.

I like what I have read about Jupiter....but it is way out of our price range!

Sorry for the novella!
Again, thank you so much...

Old 12-13-2011, 11:19 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
I disagree that we never have the smell. Out here in the JAX Beach area - we get it about 3-4 times a year in the winter when a really strong cold front is coming down from the north. OTOH - those are not days when I am spending a lot of time outside. Robyn

Old 12-13-2011, 06:41 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,316,881 times
Believe me, if you think the smell in Jacksonville is bad now, it was MUCH, MUCH, MUCH worse years ago, up through the early 80's. It was worse than Brunswick is now. Brunswick used to be much worse than it is now too, if you can imagine that... I dont know how people lived there.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:00 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,831 times
Back in the 60's and 70's it was much worse in Jacksonville. Thats because along with a pulp mill there was also the Gliddens Paint Plant on the north side of Jacksonville which stunk (chemical and resins)to hi-heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville