Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 06:38 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,715,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by osgoor View Post
Yeah, move to Tampa where the crime is soooo much better...
What makes crime good, better or best in Tampa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 09:30 PM

2 posts, read 3,885 times
Default Thanks for input

Hi. We wanted to thank all who responded for their comments and suggestions. We will be traveling to JAX in January and will get a feel for the neighborhoods. We look forward to the visit.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:34 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,461,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
What makes crime good, better or best in Tampa?
Better trained criminals I guess.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:01 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,238,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulgardener View Post
My husband is just retired and I am looking to retire within the next two years. However we would be able to move within the next six months. We are in our late 50’s, originally from New York City (Manhattan) and currently living in New Jersey. It was our intent to consider California as our retirement destination (lived there for ten years during the 1980’s). However after looking at the real estate values and assessing the change in quality of life, we are rethinking our destination for a warmer climate. The main concerns for us are being close to great medical care (the Mayo Clinic), warmer winters (but no need to be as warm as Miami), and the possibility of having a greater variety of gardening then we have in the Northeast. And of course one of the desirable traits is less susceptibility to hurricanes. We are pretty quiet (no children) and don’t have an active night-life, but do want easy access to shopping and restaurants, etc.

We have read some of the postings and are getting an idea of some of the highs and lows for the area. We would like to hear from some of the members who have moved from larger cities to see how they acclimatized to Jacksonville and how much of a culture shock we could face if we moved there. Our price range for a house is up to $400K. I would work out of the house for the next two years, and would travel regularly throughout the US for my job, so a good airport is important. Also, we would want easy access to the Mayo Clinic. In your opinion, would you think Jacksonville could work as a retirement location or would a city like Orlando, which is very hot and humid during the warmer months, be better for us? Again, thanks for any thoughts on our questions.
The Riverside & Avondale historic district was featured as one of the bestbplaces tobretireva few years ago: Best neighborhoods to retire - Jacksonville, FL (19) - Money Magazine

Since then, it was named a top 10 neighborhood in the entire U.S.: http://www.planning.org/greatplaces/neighborhoods/2010/

It's about 25 minute drive from Mayo (although it has a good hospital as well).

I'd say it's worth a look, no?

Old 01-02-2012, 11:53 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,491,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
The Riverside & Avondale historic district was featured as one of the bestbplaces tobretireva few years ago: Best neighborhoods to retire - Jacksonville, FL (19) - Money Magazine

Since then, it was named a top 10 neighborhood in the entire U.S.: Great Places in America: Neighborhoods

I spilled root beer on my keyboard and I've been typing like that , too. (I really did and I have to get it cleaned up!)

Not meant as a nasty comment. More of a chuckle. Thank heavens for spell check.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:18 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,141,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post

Since then, it was named a top 10 neighborhood in the entire U.S.: Great Places in America: Neighborhoods

I'm no expert about Jacksonville, but I thought I'd jump in here to say I agree wholeheartedly! I've had family who lived in this area since the 1960's, and I just love it there. I am retired and plan to move to Florida within the next few years, and most likely will end up a bit further south in the Sarasota area, mainly due to great real estate bargains, the climate, and being so close to the gulf. But I just can't rule out Avondale-Riverside in Jacksonville. I love the parks, the historic homes with the variety of architectural styles, the walkability to shops and restaurants, the diversity, and being so close to St. Johns River as well as the downtown area.

Last edited by janetvj; 01-02-2012 at 03:10 PM..

Old 01-02-2012, 09:13 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,280,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osgoor View Post
Yeah, move to Tampa where the crime is soooo much better...
Crime is similar, however everything else about the Tampa metro area is better. Everything. Oh, and it dont smell here.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Crime is similar, however everything else about the Tampa metro area is better. Everything. Oh, and it dont smell here.
It doesn't smell in Tampa? Must be all the close calls from the hurricanes then, they bring in fresh air I guess!

Old 01-02-2012, 09:51 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,280,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
It doesn't smell in Tampa? Must be all the close calls from the hurricanes then, they bring in fresh air I guess!
No, it does not smell here, and we have not had a close call from a hurricane since 2004. Before that, I think the closest call we had was 1984 hurricane Elena. Tampa has not had a hit from a hurricane since the 1920's...

It dont smell here because we are HUNDREDS of miles from all the smelly paper mills of South GA and Jacksonville.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
No, it does not smell here, and we have not had a close call from a hurricane since 2004. Before that, I think the closest call we had was 1984 hurricane Elena. Tampa has not had a hit from a hurricane since the 1920's...

It dont smell here because we are HUNDREDS of miles from all the smelly paper mills of South GA and Jacksonville.
riiiiiiiight get your smeller checked out soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville