Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2012, 05:56 PM

196 posts, read 427,602 times

Advertisements

Hello! It is my understanding that with the rezoning of schools that SOME but not all of the Nocatee neighborhoods with be switching from PVPV Rawlings to Ocean Palms elementary next year. I have toured and LOVED PVPV Rawlings, but know nothing about Ocean Palms. We are hoping to be living in Nocatee by the start of the next school year and are concerned about the rezoning. Does anyone have any thoughts or additional information on the topic? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 07:38 PM

77 posts, read 237,876 times
PVPV is farther away, so it can be quite a long bus ride for little ones. We have a first grader there and he loves it--he rides the bus in the morning but goes to extended day in the afternoon where my wife picks him up. The dividing line is valley ridge and nocatee parkway--basically Kelly Pointe and Greenleaf will move to Ocean Palms next year, while Austin Park, Willowcove, and Coastal Oaks will stay at PVPV.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:47 PM

80 posts, read 220,870 times
how about the middle school? will all of nocatee go to the same one?

Old 01-09-2012, 08:13 PM

196 posts, read 427,602 times
I believe they all go to Landrum middle which is across the street from Ocean Palms, and that everyone is currently zoned for Nease, but there is talk that perhaps some of the neighborhoods might be rezoned for P.V. high in the future. Is this correct?

Old 01-09-2012, 08:26 PM

615 posts, read 1,712,723 times
Yes, all of Nocatee attends Landrum Middle.

Before the county decided it didn't have the funds, the plan was to initially build a K-8 at the main entrance to Greenleaf Village in the near future. Since that plan was put on the back burner, the county now decided that in order to accommodate "future growth", they rezoned high growth areas (specifically in Nocatee) to Ocean Palms.

However, Ocean Palms is currently overcrowded while PVPV Rawlings is not. I believe the justification for adding to OP is that it can handle portable units and PVPV cannot. Both are excellent schools and parents and kids seem very happy at both. My daughter is also in 1st grade at PVPV Rawlings and we felt strongly about her staying there - like redlegcraig mentioned, it is a little farther away, but worth the extra few minutes to us.

Definitely take a tour of Ocean Palms. They have a new principal who is supposed to be very good. I hear she is a little more "firm" than the old principal (I mean that in a good way!). As you might have observed, PVPV's principal and environment are somewhat "rigorous" and I think that makes it one of the top schools in the county.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:28 PM

615 posts, read 1,712,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acebab View Post
I believe they all go to Landrum middle which is across the street from Ocean Palms, and that everyone is currently zoned for Nease, but there is talk that perhaps some of the neighborhoods might be rezoned for P.V. high in the future. Is this correct?
Yes, you're right about all of that. I suspect that the neighborhoods closer to PV High (Coastal Oaks and Willowcove) will be rezoned there and they rest will stay at Nease, but who knows!

Old 01-17-2012, 07:30 AM

2 posts, read 5,750 times
Default PVPV and Ocean Palms

The rezoning is as follows; Nocatee neighborhoods north of Valley Ridge Blvd will go to Ocean Palms, all others will stay at PVPV. The neighborhoods north of Valley Ridge Blvd currently include Greenleaf Village and Kelly Pointe.

Ocean Palms is an excellent school and as stated above is closer than PVPV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville