Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 11:15 AM

13 posts, read 17,026 times

Advertisements

Hi, my family & I are moving down to Jax this summer. I have a 15 year old who will need to finish his last two years of high school after we move. The other kids will be in college. We are from RI where older housing stock & neighborhoods that have seen their ups and downs are the norm. My son's current high school is a fairly large urban school with it's share of problems but he's done very well there. I think it's because the school focuses on unity of its diverse population & has a good athletic & recreational program. I am really attracted to the urban core areas for a number of reasons, but I'm concerned about the quality of the public high schools. I've read alot of "great schools.com" kinds of feedback and I don't want to place him in a school that's going to be a misery for him. I would consider moving to a more suburban area of Jax if that's what it would take to get him into a decent school. Anybody have any comments they would like to share on this subject?? I've been taking a lot of time to visit and get to know the city because I really want this move to be successful. I'd appreciate your input. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 11:48 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,507,321 times
Which area of town are you planning on living in? As each area has it's own associated High School Riverside/Avondale go to Robert E Lee, Springfield goes to Andrew Jackson and San Marco attends Englewood High. Unless he qualifies to attend one of the magnet program schools.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:09 PM

We're going to rent for a year until we get the feel of where we'd like to settle permanently, but we are considering the Riverside area; possibly Springfield. My sister lives down in Orange Park and while it's a nice suburb, I was hoping for a little more of a closer-knit "neighborhood" feel. I like San Marco as well, but I think it's a bit too pricey.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:20 PM

725 posts, read 2,570,932 times
The Southside area just built a new high school.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:21 PM

725 posts, read 2,570,932 times
That link didn't work. Its called Atlantic Coast High School. Its on the Southside.
Englewood, Lee and Jackson are not good schools.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:19 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,505,261 times
I think San Marco kids go to Wolfson, at least the few that don't go to private schools.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:56 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,276,703 times
If your son has done well in a large urban with it's share of problems, he should do fine in all the ones mentioned above. While they all have struggles, they also produce a lot of great students and scholarship winners. All have decent sports programs too.

I assume you've done your homework, but if not, these may help:

MySanMarco.com | San Marco - Historic Jacksonville Community
Riverside Avondale Preservation
The Historic Springfield Jacksonville Neighborhood Resource

Old 01-13-2012, 03:42 AM

Thanks for the information - much appreciated!

Old 01-13-2012, 04:33 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,276,703 times
Just as a reference, Lee is probably the "best" and Jackson the "worst" of the schools mentioned above, withbthe others somewhere in between.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:32 AM

278 posts, read 664,715 times
I was a San Marco kid in the late 90s and went to Douglas Anderson, the arts magnet. There's also Stanton which pulls kids from all over town. Both are excellent schools if you opt for the magnet program.

Wolfson and Englewood were both dumps, at least back in the late 1990s. But that was 12 years ago so maybe they've cleaned up since then.

Riverside and San Marco are fantastic areas. Springfield has some nice pockets but has a long way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville