Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 05:51 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,075,798 times

Advertisements

Hi virgo! Nice to see you. I've actually seen quite a few people from Nova forum on this forum, and I've gotten several DMs too. I think a lot of us are interested in this area.

Anyway, about that dumb slip on the ice--that was a good lesson that ice can sometimes happen in the winter if you're out in the middle of the night, even if it hasn't been snowing. All you need is freezing temps and a piece of pavement that got wet somehow. So this happened several weeks ago when we went to a Christmas party in Charles Town. We were driving home, and this tupperware bowl full of candy had gotten loose and was rolling all over the back of the car. You know how windy those roads get, so it began driving us nuts. Finally we found a little parking lot where we could pull over for a minute to fix it. So my dh gets out of the car and runs toward to back to open the hatch, and he wasn't paying any attention to where he was walking (because it was late and we were in a strange place and besides who would have guessed there might be a patch of ice when it hadn't been snowing). You can guess the rest. Then, we still had to drive for another 1 1/2 hours and you know how cramped your legs can get in a car. Keeping his leg in that bent position aggravated the situation. And then he aggravated it again after Christmas walking down some steps--it just seems like once you slip on something your leg gets weak and it becomes easy to slip again. So, having told this whole long story, the bottom line is now he's being smart and getting PT so that it won't turn into a chronic problem. He's fine now (IMO) but better safe than sorry.

Meanwhile, Florida in March sounds appealing. Pretty time of year to go there (although I think we'll avoid biker week and spring break too, if we can)

Last edited by Caladium; 01-23-2012 at 06:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 01:11 PM

965 posts, read 4,499,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Hi virgo! Nice to see you. I've actually seen quite a few people from Nova forum on this forum, and I've gotten several DMs too. I think a lot of us are interested in this area.

Anyway, about that dumb slip on the ice--that was a good lesson that ice can sometimes happen in the winter if you're out in the middle of the night, even if it hasn't been snowing. All you need is freezing temps and a piece of pavement that got wet somehow. So this happened several weeks ago when we went to a Christmas party in Charles Town. We were driving home, and this tupperware bowl full of candy had gotten loose and was rolling all over the back of the car. You know how windy those roads get, so it began driving us nuts. Finally we found a little parking lot where we could pull over for a minute to fix it. So my dh gets out of the car and runs toward to back to open the hatch, and he wasn't paying any attention to where he was walking (because it was late and we were in a strange place and besides who would have guessed there might be a patch of ice when it hadn't been snowing). You can guess the rest. Then, we still had to drive for another 1 1/2 hours and you know how cramped your legs can get in a car. Keeping his leg in that bent position aggravated the situation. And then he aggravated it again after Christmas walking down some steps--it just seems like once you slip on something your leg gets weak and it becomes easy to slip again. So, having told this whole long story, the bottom line is now he's being smart and getting PT so that it won't turn into a chronic problem. He's fine now (IMO) but better safe than sorry.

Meanwhile, Florida in March sounds appealing. Pretty time of year to go there (although I think we'll avoid biker week and spring break too, if we can)
Gee, what a funky flook--you just happened to briefly stop at just the wrong spot.

Glad to hear your husband is doing better. Yes, best to make sure his leg is in good shape, especially for walking on shifting beach sand.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:27 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,075,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo View Post
Glad to hear your husband is doing better. Yes, best to make sure his leg is in good shape, especially for walking on shifting beach sand.
Thanks! Yeah, I guess it's smart to wait although frustrating because I had really had my mind set on being able to check the city out by now. Since you read the Nova forum I'm sure you know that we're really into walking, so it wouldn't be fun for us to go somewhere if we couldn't walk around that much.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:27 PM

36 posts, read 90,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Hi everyone--just wanted to note that we had to put off our trip for a few weeks due to my husband slipping on ice and injuring his leg. He's in physical therapy, and the therapist thinks it would be wise to wait. However, we're still definitely making the trip. It'll probably be in late February or maybe the first week of March. St. Augustine is still very much on the short list of places we're considering retiring.
Hope that your husband gets well soon and please follow the Physical Therapist's directions. Those guys know what they are talking about, they've gotten me back on my feet many times.

March & April are ideal time of the year to visit St. Augusine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville