Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2012, 08:43 AM

14 posts, read 44,864 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'm so happy I stumbled upon this forum and hope you all can help me out. This summer I am planning to move to Jacksonville and begin teaching at a school either in the Westside or Northside. This is my first time ever moving (I've lived in Richmond, VA in the same house all my life), so I have some questions about the area.

First, will it be feasible for me to rent an apartment on my own on my teacher's salary? ($37,000)

Second, I've read that the southside and beach area of the city are decent/safe places to live. Will I be able to find affordable housing there? (Studio or one bedroom) And how long/stressful will the commute to the north or westside be?

Third, what are the approximate costs for things like utilities and groceries? This will help me to create a budget.

Fourth, how is the shopping/dining in the city? I'm used to having the big department and chain stores as well as cute boutiques, vintage/thrift, and natural food shops. I also like having access to both chain restaurants and ethnic/smaller restaurants.

Fifth, what is the racial makeup of the town? I am a young African American. Will I feel uncomfortable there? Are there any Hispanics there?

Sixth, what are some fun things to do there for a single, early 20 year old? I do not go to clubs and I do not drink. Are there good museums, libraries, movie theaters etc there? Are the beaches clean and safe?

Seventh, is there any kind of art scene there?

Eighth, how would compare a city like Jacksonville to a city like Richmond in terms of crime, social makeup, weather, and religion?

Thanks for yalls help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 10:20 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,278,262 times
First, will it be feasible for me to rent an apartment on my own on my teacher's salary? ($37,000)

Yes.

Second, I've read that the southside and beach area of the city are decent/safe places to live. Will I be able to find affordable housing there? (Studio or one bedroom) And how long/stressful will the commute to the north or westside be?

There's "safe" and "nice" places all over Jacksonville, and crappy areas all over Jacksonville too. Yes, there's plenty of affordable housing in 90% of Jax. If you choose to live on the general Southside of town (which is really East/Southeast, not directly South) or Beaches, you're porbably looking at a 20-40 minutes car ride in the morning, depending on exact locations. Jacksonville is HUGE landwise, and is very spread out overall.

Third, what are the approximate costs for things like utilities and groceries? This will help me to create a budget.

For a 1 bedroom apartment, $75-$150 depending on how much you use your heat/ac. When I was single not too long ago, I spent around $250/mo on groceries, maybe a little more. I eat a lot, but at the time I didn't really buy expensive items (ie, organics, etc)

Fourth, how is the shopping/dining in the city? I'm used to having the big department and chain stores as well as cute boutiques, vintage/thrift, and natural food shops. I also like having access to both chain restaurants and ethnic/smaller restaurants.

Shopping & dining much like any other mid-sized big city. The chains and big box stores will mostly be out in the suburbs (ie, the "Southside" of town) and the unique, eclectic and local shops/cafes will be in the urban core neighborhoods (San Marco MySanMarco.com | San Marco - Historic Jacksonville Community, Riverside & Avondale historic district www.riversideavondale.com, and Springfield historic district www.myspringfield.org), and some in the actual Downtown area too, Downtown Jacksonville Information and Improvement District.

Fifth, what is the racial makeup of the town? I am a young African American. Will I feel uncomfortable there? Are there any Hispanics there?

Very mixed b/t White & Black. Few Hispanics, relatively speaking. Jacksonville actually has one the largest Arabic populations in the U.S., fyi. Most of the poor Blacks live on the North/Northestwest quadrant, and most of the poor Whites live on the North/Westside. HOWEVER - this is a very general statement, and has many exceptions (plenty of low-income people in most areas of town).

If you're looking for the more diverse and cultured areas of town where people won't look at you funny if your holding hands with someone from another ethnicity, or prejudge you from the way you look, you'll want to look at the a fore mentioned urban core neighborhoods or the Beaches. Jacksonville is still very rednecky/conservative in many places, and that mentality is hard to shake.

Sixth, what are some fun things to do there for a single, early 20 year old? I do not go to clubs and I do not drink. Are there good museums, libraries, movie theaters etc there? Are the beaches clean and safe?

Most of the Arts, festivals, and cultural events (concerts, speakers, plays, etc) are going to be either in, again, the urban core neighborhoods surrounding Downtown (San Marco, Riverside & Avondale historic district, Springfield historic district) or the Beaches. We have a fantastic, huge main public library, great mid-level museums, a few award-winning regularly scheduled Arts festivals, etc. Th Beaches are generally clean & safe, but as always, have to be aware of your surroundings and be smart, especially at night.

Seventh, is there any kind of art scene there?

The Arts seen is alos pretty good, not great. The center for the "arts seen", will be - you guessed it the urban core neighborhoods i've mentioned, with some of that at the Beaches too.

Eighth, how would compare a city like Jacksonville to a city like Richmond in terms of crime, social makeup, weather, and religion?

Jax has been known as "bad" city for crime, however that's steadily dropped in recent years and serious crimes are usually concentrated in the NW quadrant, and other specific pockets around the city. Socially & religious wise, Jax is more South Georgia than North Florida, if you know what I mean. A church on every corner (so to speak), overall socially and religiously conservative (sans the beaches & urban core neighborhoods i've mentioned so many times). Weather? (ha) It's WAY more humid and hot here, and stays that way much, much longer than Richmond. However, Jax usually does get all 4 seasons, with cold weather usually Jan to early March (it's been extremely mild here this year).

Old 01-19-2012, 12:06 PM

Thank you so much for your honest feedback. I need to look more into this urban core. I currently live in a single family home near the suburbs but within the city limits, so I don't know if the urban core will be too much of a change for me. However, it does sound like a lot more fun.

Another question, what do you know about the elementary schools and students in the north and westside?

Old 01-19-2012, 03:00 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
It's probably gonna be a big change for you! I've passed through Richmond a few times and really would like to visit based on what I've seen of the downtown area and VCU. Seems like a cool place for my sensibilities.

Anyway, are you doing Teach For America? I'd say you're prob gonna find your students come from mostly poorer and less-educated backgrounds but hopefully they're also on the whole mostly grateful and eager for opportunities. I think FSU gave a good rundown for your particular concerns.

I say this tongue-in-cheek but unfortunately it's also quite true for me...I don't really know what there is to do if you don't go out and drink...haha.

That said, I feel like you should consider the vast riverside/avondale area based on your prefernce for boutique, vintage and natural food shopping as well as your predilection for art. This area would also in general be much closer to your potential schools than the beaches or southside.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:11 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,278,262 times
I gave you a bad link, it's www.riverside-avondale.com, actually.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:48 PM

fsu813 thanks for the new link. I was aimlessly looking at the other website trying to figure out what to do lol.

projectmaximus thanks for your input. I'll have to look into those neighborhoods as well. Will I be safe living there by myself? And yes I'm more of a 'stay-at-home and craft, read, watch the cooking network, hgtv, or movies or eat out with friends kind of girl.' And I love to shop as well.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:15 PM

4 posts, read 12,495 times
Pay heed to what FSU had to say. I think it was pretty accurate. I taught on the NS for 38 years. Kids are great, not always the smartest, but I think thats true of about any place in the public sector. You don't have to drink here to have fun. Pick your friends accordingly and you should be okay. I wish you the best in your beginning teaching career. Go Noles.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:05 PM

40 posts, read 70,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachingJ View Post
fsu813 thanks for the new link. I was aimlessly looking at the other website trying to figure out what to do lol.

projectmaximus thanks for your input. I'll have to look into those neighborhoods as well. Will I be safe living there by myself? And yes I'm more of a 'stay-at-home and craft, read, watch the cooking network, hgtv, or movies or eat out with friends kind of girl.' And I love to shop as well.
I moved to Riverside, ZIP 32204, in 2005 and love it. In terms of diversity, walkability and accessibility to daily needs, you can complete most of your affairs without a car:

Publix for groceries
St. Vincent's for the hospital along with numerous private practices
5 Points/King St/St. Johns Ave in Avondale for retail, dining and libations
Numerous parks to read
Multiple bus lines to take you across town
Walking distance to major employers on Riverside Ave in Brooklyn

Things get easier with a car with easy access to I-95 and I-10.

Riverside is still home to many of the so-called creative class, with a good tenant-owner mix and a diverse population. On my block, we joke that we're the poster children of political correctness and affirmative action because the demographics break down roughly as so:

75% white, 20% black, 5% Hispanic and Asian
55% female, 45% male
70% straight, 30% gay (including 1 post-op, 2 lesbians, 4 gay guys)
60% own, 40% rent
20% college educated
3 Section 8 properties

Since I have been here, I made it a point to meet all my immediate neighbors and to keep my balcony and backyard lights on at night. Nothing has happened to my property, I haven't been shot or mugged and I have walked home from Park Place and Metro at 3 am down College. And all of this is possible without living in a gated community.

Riverside and, to a lesser extent, Avondale, are great neighborhoods where you can choose to stay at home, but have solid relationships with your neighbors when you choose to emerge. Homogeneity doesn't rule Riverside/Avondale--the neighbors do.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:54 PM

10 posts, read 17,800 times
The schools in the Northside/Westside are not the greatest, and Eastside is starting to get run-down and crime ridden now. The beaches are good, except for during the nights on the weekends. That's when the hoodlums come out to play. Southside is the best part of Jax to live in.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:04 AM

39 posts, read 58,367 times
We live in an adjoining county and are putting our house on the market to move to Riverside area (Five Points) and closer to my husband's job. His commute is tiresome and we want to be where there is some action! I worked in Riverside for 9 years and always wanted to live there, but circumstances at the time we purchased our home, did not allow for us to move to that area. Now, even though the real estate market is not what we'd like, we're selling our house and planning to rent in Five Points. We may purchase. I have done lots of research and there are places available to rent anywhere from $500/mo. to $2700 and higher. There are some very nice one bedroom/one bath apartments in Riverside 32204. Just go to www.trulia.com and put in the zip 32204 and click on rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville