Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 10:11 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times

Advertisements

Hmm, when I read the intro I totally knew Jax would be on this list (what with all the mentally unstable, alcoholic, and divorced folks). Of course, it flies in the face of the article I posted half a year ago where Jax was the third-most fun place to work in the US.

America's Most Stressful Cities, 2012 - Yahoo! Real Estate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 11:10 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,449 times
Ahhh!! All this stress is just killing me!

Old 01-20-2012, 05:21 PM

349 posts, read 990,985 times
I can believe it. Florida in general is a bad place to live. There were threads on this forum that were like 50 pages long debating Florida, and the consensus was, it's not a very pleasant place to live (the sunshine is misleading).

Old 01-20-2012, 05:38 PM

23 posts, read 56,250 times
lol ... The sunshine is misleading.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:24 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
It's the traffic! I swear it's the traffic! Driving on bridges doesn't help either.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:41 PM

40 posts, read 70,856 times
I'll get slammed for this, but for all those who clamor about Florida's tax burden being one of the lowest in the country (it's not), consider what we have foregone for lower taxes: amenities that contribute to an increased quality of life that would help soften the blow in this weak economy.

Had previous administrations embraced a progressive agenda rather than pandering to the lower taxes faction, then we could probably have many more amenities that tie communities together. I'm talking active and passive neighborhood parks, better lighting, more viable transit options, policies that favor sustainable development.

Instead, Jacksonville is only a large city based on technical definitions. We are similar to Atlanta's metro in that we are a collection of small neighborhoods with shortsighted goals and an aversion to collaborating on the future.

Last edited by FSUMikeJAX; 01-22-2012 at 03:40 PM..

Old 01-22-2012, 03:29 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
I'll get slammed for this, but I agree with FSUMJ.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:40 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,449 times
The word "taxes" is a dirty word in today's politics. Everyone wants to live in a city with a world of amenities but no politician will ever get elected in a GOP dominated city like Jacksonville by suggesting how to pay for those amenities other than to cut spending. And by cutting spending beyond a certain sustainable minimum will only diminish the few amenities that we already have. We don't have big revenue resources from tourism or from manufacturing, etc. so while we boast about lowest taxes, our amenities will continue to suck.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:31 PM

40 posts, read 70,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
The word "taxes" is a dirty word in today's politics. Everyone wants to live in a city with a world of amenities but no politician will ever get elected in a GOP dominated city like Jacksonville by suggesting how to pay for those amenities other than to cut spending. And by cutting spending beyond a certain sustainable minimum will only diminish the few amenities that we already have. We don't have big revenue resources from tourism or from manufacturing, etc. so while we boast about lowest taxes, our amenities will continue to suck.
This is why I hope Mayor Brown and his Republican allies can help right the public's perception on increased taxes. Tax cuts stifle progress as there is no additional revenue to tackle quality of life issues.

The Jacksonville mantra seems to be, "I don't want to pay taxes, but I want my road repaved or widened when traffic inconveniences me. I also want safe lighting to ride my bike at night, playgrounds for my children, JSO visible at every corner and no one who is not my skin color within 5 miles of me."

When will the average Jacksonville resident realize that low taxes, budget cuts and anemic revenue do not promote anything but stagnation and blight? Taxes bring in the revenue and can put us on equal footing with at least Charlotte in the intermediate future.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:09 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,506,210 times
I can understand why taxes are a bad word when you see such waste at all government levels. No clue what that has to do with stress though. I've found my stress level to be much lower here than it was in Charlotte, but I'm a weird dude anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: