Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 09:14 AM

344 posts, read 1,051,396 times

Advertisements

I have a few job offers in Jacksonville but i'd have to leave my girlfriend far behind, she won't move.

I've read that it's an awful city to be single in. Is this true?

Is jacksonville beach better than jacksonville for this?

I'm a 24 year old male.

I'm just trying to get some idea what life would be like as a single person. I've heard people in jacksonville settle down and get married young, etc. But every rule has exceptions, so how worried should I really be?

I've also read some negatives about Jacksonville, but I've decided its worth it to check out the city and see for myself, but I wanted to ask if some of the alleged "negatives" aren't as bad in Jacksonville Beach.

Example of negatives ive read:
no variety of restaurants/foods
below average nightlife/bars/concerts/etc

Would things like this be better in Jacksonville beach? is jacksonville beach a good place to be a young single guy?

Thank you! Just dno't want to move somewhere and literally be the only person I see without a wife haha. I don't mind being single, I like it. But if it's completely out of the ordinary, i've never experienced a place like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 09:54 AM

78 posts, read 179,701 times
If you like malls/suburbs, Southside isn't the worst (Whiskey River, Blackfinn).

Kickbacks/Loft is vaguely city-ish.

Shinedown got started here, so I guess there's music out there somewhere?

The beach isn't bad, quite a few places within walking distance of each other. The people out are more "urban" than what I'm used to though.

Restaurant scene here is thoroughly average. Tried quite a few places and haven't found anything particularly life-changing or memorable.

Overall, I'd recommend visiting and seeing for yourself. People seem to love it or hate it.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:58 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
Jax Beach is probably a good place for you. Lots of young single people who like to party. Come check it out.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:12 PM

203 posts, read 596,760 times
Where are you moving from?

Old 01-30-2012, 09:58 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,777 times

No.

Just depends. Jax Beach is more college-aged, Jacksonville is more young professional types.

I'm just trying to get some idea what life would be like as a single person.

It's waht you make of it. If you try to meet people and go to places where this usually happens, it's prettyb easy.

I've heard people in jacksonville settle down and get married young, etc. But every rule has exceptions, so how worried should I really be?

Not very.

I've also read some negatives about Jacksonville, but I've decided its worth it to check out the city and see for myself, but I wanted to ask if some of the alleged "negatives" aren't as bad in Jacksonville Beach.

Every city has plus and minuses.

Depends on where you live. If you live out in the burbs, Applebees and Longhor will be your best friend. If you live near Downtown Jax or the Beaches, there's plenty of unique, popular eateries and restaurants. The greatest concenntratio will be in the "urban core" of Jacksonville, the neighborhoods that surrond Downtown Jax. Sort of the mecca for good, local dining in the city.

Jax is sprawling, so there's not a huge central entertainment district. Downtown has some, the the neighborhoods that surrond Downtown have some (Riverside & Avondale historic district, San Marco, Springfield historic dsitrict), Jax Beach and Atlantic/Neptune Beach have some, and the general subruban area of Tinsel Town/St. Johns Towncenter has some. So there's TONS to choose from, but the experience isn't as good as it could be/is in other large cities because it's spread out. If you want some recommendations, let me know.

Would things like this be better in Jacksonville beach? is jacksonville beach a good place to be a young single guy?

Just depends on what your looking for. There's more of a college crowd at the Beaches, more young professionals in and around Downtown and the neighborhoods that surrond it, and a mix out in the burbs.

Thank you! Just dno't want to move somewhere and literally be the only person I see without a wife haha. I don't mind being single, I like it. But if it's completely out of the ordinary, i've never experienced a place like that.

Yes, that would be wierd. Many people on the internet tend to exaggerate, fyi.

Personally, i'd live in the Riverside & Avondale historic district. It's sort of the hottest area right now for young people. Lots going on, and close to Downtow and the other near-by fun neighborhoods.
www.riverside-avondale.com

Enjoy.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:15 PM

216 posts, read 951,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post

Just depends. Jax Beach is more college-aged, Jacksonville is more young professional types.

The greatest concenntratio will be in the "urban core" of Jacksonville, the neighborhoods that surrond Downtown Jax. Sort of the mecca for good, local dining in the city.

Jax is sprawling, so there's not a huge central entertainment district. Downtown has some, the the neighborhoods that surrond Downtown have some (Riverside & Avondale historic district, San Marco, Springfield historic dsitrict), I mention this in most all of my posts.

Personally, i'd live in the Riverside & Avondale historic district. It's sort of the hottest area right now for young people. Lots going on, and close to Downtow and the other near-by fun neighborhoods.
www.riverside-avondale.com

Enjoy.
Time to spell check. Michael.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:32 PM

14 posts, read 34,330 times
This is the worst city to be single. Believe me I never seen a place like this and single woman here are drawn to ex conns jobless losers and guys that are married or have girlfriends. Yes this is not the place for singles.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:40 PM

14 posts, read 34,330 times
Default It is awful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie555 View Post
I have a few job offers in Jacksonville but i'd have to leave my girlfriend far behind, she won't move.

I'm a 24 year old male.

I'm just trying to get some idea what life would be like as a single person. I've heard people in jacksonville settle down and get married young, etc. But every rule has exceptions, so how worried should I really be?

Don't feel bad I am 38 with a good job and a house very successful, its very hard to get a date here you should read my post why there no single bars in Jax be strong or no shame I am glad I am not alone thinking as you do. There any many others as well.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:30 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie555 View Post

I'm a 24 year old male.

- No, it's not awful.

- Jax beach is 'better than' Jax proper if you like to go to the beach.

- You shouldn't be worried at all. There's plenty of young people, single women in Jax.

- Whomever told you there was no variety of restauarnts/food doesn't know what they're talking about.

- For a city the size of Jacksonville, nightlife is average. In reality, there's actually tons of nightlife, it's just spread out in different pockets around town. If you like to have a good time, you'll probably find it adequate.

- Jax Beach is a good location for a young single guy. It's draws more of a college crowd. The Downtown-ish area draws a college crowd too, but far more young professional and professional types as well.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:58 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,159,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhnmat View Post
Don't feel bad I am 38 with a good job and a house very successful, its very hard to get a date here you should read my post why there no single bars in Jax be strong or no shame I am glad I am not alone thinking as you do. There any many others as well.
You are one horny dude, every post is complaining about no single bars. You can meet single people anywhere, it doesn't need to be a dark building with loud music and a "SINGLES ONLY!!!!!" sign on the door. Try any bar, or any club, or the grocery store, library, parks, church, or hey even the Internet! It's awesome, try it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville