Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2008, 03:27 AM

27 posts, read 158,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo13 View Post
ha. i was a waiter at patti's way back in 1989 and remember the awesome boneless chicken parmesan, as well as the two ancient old ladies that had worked there for thirty years. what a memory.
Did they still have the birthday pizzas with the sparklers? I used to love taking those out. The after dinner wine, great homemade Italian dressing and the spumoni and tortoni ice cream. Did Mrs. Morgan still work as cashier when you were there? I remember Totsie always worked in the front dining room and Joyce who was always so tanned worked in the back dining room (she trained me) Was Mr. Pellegrino still there when you worked there? I believe he was the Patti's cousin. I remember the son Pat going to a Best of Chefs in Jax thing at the Thunderbird Restaurant on Arlington Expressway. I was picked to go as the waitress from Patti's. Mr. Patti's mother told me she was so proud of me because out of all the other waitresses from the other places I was the only one to use my tray. Some times I would leave my car at the restaurant all night when I would go out with friends. I drove a little silver Opel Kadette. When I would come to work the next day, it would be sitting in front of the side door. The bus boys loved to pick up my car and move it. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 07:57 AM

Default Jax Pictures & Memories

It would be nice to see some pictures from some of the places that aren't around anymore. Is there a place where they could be posted?

Old 06-05-2008, 09:08 AM

459 posts, read 1,411,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steppen View Post
Did they still have the birthday pizzas with the sparklers? I used to love taking those out. The after dinner wine, great homemade Italian dressing and the spumoni and tortoni ice cream. Did Mrs. Morgan still work as cashier when you were there? I remember Totsie always worked in the front dining room and Joyce who was always so tanned worked in the back dining room (she trained me) Was Mr. Pellegrino still there when you worked there? I believe he was the Patti's cousin. I remember the son Pat going to a Best of Chefs in Jax thing at the Thunderbird Restaurant on Arlington Expressway. I was picked to go as the waitress from Patti's. Mr. Patti's mother told me she was so proud of me because out of all the other waitresses from the other places I was the only one to use my tray. Some times I would leave my car at the restaurant all night when I would go out with friends. I drove a little silver Opel Kadette. When I would come to work the next day, it would be sitting in front of the side door. The bus boys loved to pick up my car and move it. LOL
wow. those are vivid memories indeed! i can't recall ms. morgan, but pellegrino sounds familiar to me. i only worked there a year, but ate a lion's share of chicken parm. i do recal working for sunday brunch and making pretty good $$ to just walk around clearing plates all day and i even recall there was a couple that came in every sunday that everyone hated to serve because the wife was bulemic, ha ha.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:33 PM

I wonder if that was the couple that also would tip 50 cents. lol

Old 07-15-2008, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 7,326 times
What became of the Thunderbird? I worked there briefly in the mid-seventies but have been gone for some 30 years.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:48 PM

19 posts, read 116,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneers62 View Post
What became of the Thunderbird? I worked there briefly in the mid-seventies but have been gone for some 30 years.
Holiday Inn took over the old Thunderbird Hotel for several years after a remodel during the late 80s and into the 90s. After that, Ramada Inn took it over but eventually they went out of business. A few years ago, the property was sold to some African-American Church (Bethel-Lite?) in town and they were supposed to use it as a convention center, but the place has become really run down and looks totally abandoned. It's surrounded by a chain-link fence and all of the shrubbery and vegetation is overgrown and not maintained at all. I think the place should be condemned and torn down. It's a shame because for a period of time after Holiday Inn took it over and remodeled it, it was actually a pretty nice facility. I had my wedding reception there in 1989 and a 10th year high school reunion there in 1990.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:27 PM

9 posts, read 95,182 times
Well, I just found Winston Dean. Finally. He's selling real estate. What a waste of talent. Oh well, hopefully he made a pile of $$$ before the market hit the skids.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:00 PM

233 posts, read 763,862 times
I remember the old Normandy Mall. It had the Orange Julius stand, the two-screen Twin Theatres, an Aladdin's Castle video arcade, Spa Fitness, and a popcorn shop. Some of the stores that have been in that mall were Montgomery Ward (later Jefferson Ward), Eckerd Drugs, Woolco, Roses Department Store, Murphy's Mart, Tempo Fashions, Sam's Wholesale Club, Radio Shack, and Sports-a-foot. There is a strip mall next to the mall that had Save Way (now Sally) Beauty Supply and Pantry Pride (later Rawsons) among other stores. The mall has been remodeled and is now owned by the Potter's House.

I also remember Peterson's Five and Dime in Five Points, Club Five, the Skinner's Dairy drive-thru buildings (there was one near Lee High School that is now demolished) that were called "Dairystores", Family Video (one was in Avondale and later on Roosevelt in Venetia), and the Roosevelt Mall (which had Woolworth's, Ivey's, Stein Mart and May Cohens/May Florida/Maison Blanche/Gayfers/Belk, the hot dog stand, Kinney Shoes, Underwood's Jewelry and Musicland).

Old 07-31-2008, 06:30 PM

702 posts, read 2,176,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSteadyVibe View Post
I remember the old Normandy Mall. It had the Orange Julius stand, the two-screen Twin Theatres, an Aladdin's Castle video arcade, Spa Fitness, and a popcorn shop. Some of the stores that have been in that mall were Montgomery Ward (later Jefferson Ward), Eckerd Drugs, Woolco, Roses Department Store, Murphy's Mart, Tempo Fashions, Sam's Wholesale Club, Radio Shack, and Sports-a-foot. There is a strip mall next to the mall that had Save Way (now Sally) Beauty Supply and Pantry Pride (later Rawsons) among other stores. The mall has been remodeled and is now owned by the Potter's House.

I also remember Peterson's Five and Dime in Five Points, Club Five, the Skinner's Dairy drive-thru buildings (there was one near Lee High School that is now demolished) that were called "Dairystores", Family Video (one was in Avondale and later on Roosevelt in Venetia), and the Roosevelt Mall (which had Woolworth's, Ivey's, Stein Mart and May Cohens/May Florida/Maison Blanche/Gayfers/Belk, the hot dog stand, Kinney Shoes, Underwood's Jewelry and Musicland).
I grew up about a 1/4 of a mile away from that mall on Post. 3 houses down from the Wendy's. I loved going to that theater as a girl, they had cheese pop-corn. My mom & I used to use the laundry mat in the strip next to the mall. I remember when the Super Cuts burned down a few shops down. There was also a Qunicy's across the street that I loved eating at. I went to Ramona Elementary & Temple day care. The memories!

Old 08-04-2008, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 7,131 times
Default cellson

The name of the revolving restuarant at the top of what was the Charter Bldg was the "Embers". We only went there once but enjoyed the panoramic view of the city while we ate.

My wife remembers the Penny Burger thing at Herschell and St Johns as well as the A&P, etc. I remember, as a little fella, when Roosevelt Mall/Square was neither. We used to dig underground forts there before the Mall was built. I also remember when the Ortega River Boatyard was just a concrete ramp and a single pier out into the water.

I really grew up in Arlington (Terry Parker) and San Jose (DuPont HS) and remember when Regency Suare wasn't and the Arlington Shopping Center had a trampoline attraction, the Arlington Donut Shop and Arlington Theater, Town and Country Theater, Waldz' Deli, Bruce Park during the summer, Sandalwood before it was developed, Lions Club Dances, etc. I don't remember the area called "Cosmo"...we had a different name for it. Yes, the Saki Shop and Art Schell has good memories.

I remember "Thrill Hill" and the wooden bridge as Ft Caroline turned 90 degrees and into Girvin Road. Yes, I remember being able to ride the Power Lines from Ft Caroline all the way to the Blvd's or until a person got tired.

My wife moved me to Avondale and it is so much better due to the traffic and beautiful homes. Gee, how can I remember so much when I'm still so young?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville