Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 11,353 times

Advertisements

Okay. Anyone remember Pritchett's Kitchen and the all-you-can eat popcorn shrimp feast on Tuedsay nights? Driscoll's and the Gran Faloon? Spectrum? The Pig and Lou Bono's (the original!)? Southside Women's Club dances? The Main Street Drive-In? Led Zepplin with 22,000 in the coliseum? Senior skip day at Jackson High School? Breakfast at Mom's then hitting the waves at the North Jetty or Little Talbot Island (north swell only!)? Oh, the memories!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 06:31 AM

8 posts, read 88,561 times
This is great! The first class to graduate from Sandalwood was 1972. Those of us in Sandalwood were bused to Fletcher prior to that (remember double sessions and 6:00 AM classes). When it comes to restaurants, how about Beach Road Chicken Dinners with the home-style service. Remember Bomba's on University (Gary Bomba, an old surf buddy, his parents owned the place). Driscoll's was one of my favorites, I can still here Phil and the band playing "Georgia" and Phil prancing around the place and setting the railings on fire. (Yeah, I was one of the crazies who let him pour grain alcohol down their throats head-rest style)

Bye for now,

Old 09-21-2007, 12:29 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Does anyone remember Skipper Ed and his T.V. show(The Skipper Ed Show) on channel 12?He was quite a humanitarian.He died quite a few years ago.

Does anybody remember Professor Backwards from Jacksonville,he could take any word that you gave him and spell it backwards.
Skipper Ed! Now there is a name I haven't heard of in years! Channel 12 has some videos from that show here. Brings back a lot of memories. Watch the bottom one and look at the Jacksonville skyline as he sails down the St. Johns River!

Was Professor Backwards the same guy that was killed in 1976?

Cheers! M2

Old 09-21-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPLTV2 View Post
Okay. Anyone remember Pritchett's Kitchen and the all-you-can eat popcorn shrimp feast on Tuedsay nights? Driscoll's and the Gran Faloon? Spectrum? The Pig and Lou Bono's (the original!)? Southside Women's Club dances? The Main Street Drive-In? Led Zepplin with 22,000 in the coliseum? Senior skip day at Jackson High School? Breakfast at Mom's then hitting the waves at the North Jetty or Little Talbot Island (north swell only!)? Oh, the memories!
Are you talking about the Pig that used to be over near Atlantic and University??

Cheers! M2

Old 09-21-2007, 12:33 PM

And...

Uncle Petey Tours WTLV Channel 12

Cheers! M2

Old 09-21-2007, 02:11 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,571,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Skipper Ed! Now there is a name I haven't heard of in years! Channel 12 has some videos from that show here. Brings back a lot of memories. Watch the bottom one and look at the Jacksonville skyline as he sails down the St. Johns River!

Was Professor Backwards the same guy that was killed in 1976?

Cheers! M2
That's him,James Henderson his real name,was accosted by three assailants in College Park,Georgia,where he was found with three gunshots to his head on January 29th,1976.I found this info on ANSWER.COM Search Professor Backwards

Old 09-21-2007, 05:37 PM

Not to make light of his demise, but wasn't there a SNL Weekend Update skit with Chevy Chase concerning something happening to Professor Backwards and people ignoring his cries of "PLEH! PLEH!"?? I am sure that was before he was killed, as SNL would never poke fun at such a dire incident as this...

Whoops, I guess they did, scroll down on this web site and read...

Quote:
Chase: There was a man named Professor Backwards who was known for talking backwards. He was murdered. Michael wrote that his last words were "Pleh, pleh." I did him on Weekend Update, and I got a lot of ooh's. I didn't understand until I got letters explaining that he was a real person with a family.
Why do I remember this things from over 30 years ago, but I can't find my car keys??

Cheers! M2

Old 09-21-2007, 05:53 PM

Wow, the Internet is awesome! Some quick research revealed that this particular episode was the twelfth episode of the first season of Saturday Night Live, hosted by Dick Cavett and with Jimmy Cliff as the musical guest...

Air date was January 31, 1976...the day before my 13th birthday! Dang!

Cheers! M2

Old 09-21-2007, 08:45 PM

Some cool old videos from Channel 12 here. I didn't know CNN's Lynne Russell was a news anchor in Jacksonville before moving up to the big time!

And check out the videos of Tim Deegan, Deborah Gianoulis, Matt Cooney (remember him) and formerMayor Hans Tanzler waterskiiing!

Cheers! M2

Old 09-22-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
OK, another memory...

I remember when the Chuck-E-Cheese opened up over near Regency off of Atlantic Blvd (behind The Shiek). It was a different place back then, I recall them showing old surf movies on the big screen projector. I also remember playing games such as Star Castle on tabletop consols. The reason that game in particular stands out was that we learned how to defeat it but simply going back and forth horizontally without slowing down. The target in the middle of the game could not turn fast enough to shoot back, so you could destroy the rings and it without fail. We spent hours on that game...

Cheers! M2
Y'know, after watch the Skipper Ed shows I realized that it wasn't a Chuck-E-Cheese but a Showbiz Pizza that was there. I think it is a Chuck-E-Cheese now, but originally it was a Showbiz.

And after a Wikipedia search I realize they are one in the same...in 1984, Showbiz purchased the assets of Chuck E. Cheese's after it declared Chapter 11 bankruptcy. They then proceeded to change the name of the company to Showbiz Pizza Time, Inc. Both restaurants were kept operating as separate entities. After disagreements over a period of years with Creative, Showbiz management decided to go ahead with a restructuring of the restaurants called "Concept Unification". This would consist of renovating all Showbiz animation into Chuck E. Cheese characters, as well as renaming all stores to "Chuck E. Cheese's Pizza". This would be the end for the concept known as "Showbiz Pizza Place", although the company is still in business, as the current management of the "Chuck E. Cheese's" concept is a direct line from the "Showbiz Pizza Time, Inc." era, with little connection to the original "Pizza Time Theatre" ownership. They are now known as CEC Entertainment Concepts, L.P.

Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville