Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 09:12 AM

2 posts, read 9,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartiPoodle View Post
I think it was the Pheonix!!! It wasnt The Thunderbird.. that was in a hotel or something wasnt it?
The name of the bar at Century 21 was Hollywoods
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 09:14 AM

2 posts, read 9,829 times
No, that was the original T-Birds at the Grand Blvd mall. Thunderbirds was on Arlington xpressway

Old 07-05-2010, 09:31 PM

1 posts, read 4,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmarbles View Post
Wow!Just found this site and love it.Lifelong Westside Jax resident.Years ago (late 60's) me and my parents would go to a steak house on Blanding called "Mr.D's" or "Mr.Dees".Anyone ever go there.Also haven't seen anyone mention the Superburger on Cassat Ave.After Superburger left it was called Raxx.They had the best burgers!!then they were gone?
I remember the Super Burger. I Believe there was also one on 103rd St.
I remember going there as a young child. I thought it was so neat that
Super Burger had footlong hot dogs and tater tots.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:14 PM

6 posts, read 18,268 times
I am trying to find info on the old Regency Theatre. I worked there in the late 60's and early 70's. Graduated from Englewood.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:04 PM

838 posts, read 1,875,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomrific View Post
I am trying to find info on the old Regency Theatre. I worked there in the late 60's and early 70's. Graduated from Englewood.
I don't have any info, other than the space now holds a Picadilly restaurant ... I remember the Rocking Chair Theater well ... went to lots of movies there, including midnight movies ...

Old 07-23-2010, 09:37 PM

6 posts, read 18,268 times
Thanks yall for bringing back some great old memories. I was born and raised in Jax and lived on Normandy near Chaffee then near Spring park elementary-1st grade. My parents bought a house in Arlington east off Atlantic Blvd. I attended Southside Estates Elem. We then moved back to Normandy where my parents ran the old M&H Beer tavern. I heard it became a biker bar and was closed down recently. I attended Whitehouse, then Joseph Stilwell. went To Paxon HS for 1 year then parents moved back to Arlington East. Graduated from Englewood in 1970 and going back in 2 weeks for my (OMG) 40th reunion. Left Jax in 76 and only been back a couple of times. I was Assistant Manager for the old Regency Theatre during high school and was popular cause I gave away free tickets there LOL. Was on Skipper Ed's show when I was a Cub Scout. Remember the parade downtown when Roy Rogers rode Trigger down the Parade route? Remember the Scout exhibits at the old Gator Bowl? A lot of memories were brought back to me tonite! Thank you.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:13 AM

1 posts, read 4,648 times
I moved to Jacksonville in 1973. I remember The Greaseman when he first started at WAPE. (Anyone remember it was a "contest" to be a DJ and he won?He was supposed to be a trucker who called in). I remember 92K before it was in Stereo ( A trailer out in Atlantic Beach) and the beginning of Rock 105. (Y103 when you can Rock 105.) I have been gone many year but have family there and come back every so often. Memories........

Old 09-25-2010, 07:38 AM

1 posts, read 4,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacalifa View Post
I would like to hear from "Florida PADI College" students who graudated from the college
early 1970's to 1991. I was the president/owner of college, and Underwater Designers
Co. 4591 St. Johns Avenue and 13637 Beach Blvd., Jacksonville, Florida. My wife is looking
up previously graduates from the college. I really miss it!

Best regards,
Paul J. Califano, Owner/President
Florida PADI college
Underwater Designers Co.
Jacksonville, Florida

Paul,

Hope all is well. I certified through Underwater Designers back in the 80's.
I have been diving off and on over the years and still love it. I lost my dive log and gear through a divorce. But that's ok cause now I am getting all new gear again.
I still have my NUE dive card and am looking to get it replaced with a PADI card so it is more readily recognized.
Any suggestions on how I can accomplish this? I don't really want to fork out the money to go back through a course to re- certify either PADI or NAUI.

Thanks for introducing me to the underwater world!!!!

Sincerely,
Eric Lewis
jax.,fl

Old 10-10-2010, 06:26 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,563,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomrific View Post
Thanks yall for bringing back some great old memories. I was born and raised in Jax and lived on Normandy near Chaffee then near Spring park elementary-1st grade. My parents bought a house in Arlington east off Atlantic Blvd. I attended Southside Estates Elem. We then moved back to Normandy where my parents ran the old M&H Beer tavern. I heard it became a biker bar and was closed down recently. I attended Whitehouse, then Joseph Stilwell. went To Paxon HS for 1 year then parents moved back to Arlington East. Graduated from Englewood in 1970 and going back in 2 weeks for my (OMG) 40th reunion. Left Jax in 76 and only been back a couple of times. I was Assistant Manager for the old Regency Theatre during high school and was popular cause I gave away free tickets there LOL. Was on Skipper Ed's show when I was a Cub Scout. Remember the parade downtown when Roy Rogers rode Trigger down the Parade route? Remember the Scout exhibits at the old Gator Bowl? A lot of memories were brought back to me tonite! Thank you.
Dang man you are old, I bet Normandy was really rural back then wow!! I lived on Herlong, I was a Navy brat & dad was stationed at Cecil. Be glad you went Englewood & Paxon, Ed White was not even around in 1970, ha ha ha ha man u r up there.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:30 PM

1 posts, read 4,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel Lee View Post
I was stationed at Mayport from 81-85. My haunt was the Crystal Palace Bar. There was a great cover band...I believe it was Gary Tomlinson's Crystal Image Band, damn, those guys sounded like the stuff right off the radio. My other haunts were The Top at the Holiday Inn and Stricklands on the Beach where I ended up getting a job bartending after I got out of the Navy. That would have been July - Sept of '85 because Mike Strickland went Chapter 11 shortly after that. But I did hear that he reopened after I left Jacksonville. I lived right down the street, 1/2 block from the beach. Remember the "No Townies" T-shirts?
Gary Tomlinson here. I am flabergasted that you remember my name and how to spell it! We had a great time entertaining back then and I'm pleased that you enjoyed our reperatior.
Where are you residing now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville