Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2012, 11:12 AM

190 posts, read 391,637 times

Advertisements

I think you're right, Parkerclassof72. My dad still lives on the Westside so I went home for Christmas but it was just for the weekend and I really didn't have time to go to all the places I wanted to go. I usually try to go home at least once a year and I'm going to try to make it back this summer if possible. I will definitely be going to Singleton's the next trip I make home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 12:30 PM

6 posts, read 18,277 times
Hi if anyone ever worked at the old Regency theatre, let me know. I worked there from 68 - 71.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:48 PM

9 posts, read 12,631 times
Give it time...I originally moved here in 1972 at 19, newly married. We bought a house on Queen of Hearts Ct. in Cedar Hills for $14k. By 1978 I was in Real Estate and sold MANY MANY of those houses for $25K a pop. Moved away, and then back in 2003. It's a shame that area has so "eclined.

You know the Dinosaur on Beach Blvd. That used to oversee a putt-putt course. We used to take my precious little boys there every weekend. Those little boys are now fat, with white beards, and they look much too old to be hollarng "Momma" in Walmart!

Old 02-19-2012, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,632 times
Does anyone have any Pictures of "The Slippery Dip" water slide? My Father poured the concrete for this and our pictures have gotten lost or damaged. Thanks

Old 02-19-2012, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,631 times
We have a facebook page called "if you grew up in Jacksonville" you will find alot from your childhood there, Maybe you can help with something I posted a question asking if anyone remembered the slippery dip slide on beach blvd? well I must say it started something because none of us can find a pic ANYWHERE !!!!!! your post is the closest I've come when searching if you happen to have one could you please post it? Thanks
Janie Carter
Jacksonville, Florida

Old 03-11-2012, 07:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofinallydone View Post
Give it time...I originally moved here in 1972 at 19, newly married. We bought a house on Queen of Hearts Ct. in Cedar Hills for $14k. By 1978 I was in Real Estate and sold MANY MANY of those houses for $25K a pop. Moved away, and then back in 2003. It's a shame that area has so "eclined.

You know the Dinosaur on Beach Blvd. That used to oversee a putt-putt course. We used to take my precious little boys there every weekend. Those little boys are now fat, with white beards, and they look much too old to be hollarng "Momma" in Walmart!

My parents bought a house on Lane Ave. in 1960 when they were first built.
It is located directly across Miss Muffett Ln. S. It was the only pink house
in the entire area I believe.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,418 times
Default Mrs. Scott's Lakeshore kindergarten

Are there any Lakeshore Kindergarten alums from the 1960s out there? I went there in 1960/61. When I tell people about Mrs. Scott's crazy little school they find it hard to believe. The boys wore white shirts and shorts and an apron made from blue paisley handkerchiefs purchased at the House of Bargains. The girls wore these strange pixie dresses made of red paisley handkerchiefs--they looked like a bunch of little Wilma Flintstones. The girls had red plaid lunchboxes; the boys had blue plaid lunchboxes. On Friday, it was long pants for the boys and everybody brought their fancy tap shoes. Fridays were also Candy Day ("Hooray, hooray, today is Candy Day hooray!"). Mrs. Scott sat at a Blue piano and taught us old Broadway numbers. She also had a monkey in a cage. How this woman got fifty kids to sing and dance all day I'll never know, but we all did it. And we all behaved because Mrs. Scott had eyes in the back of her head (toward the end of the year I realized that she could see us in the mirror above the piano keys). We had performances at every holiday, and at the end of the year there was a graduation ceremony at Hyde Park Elementary. Each kid had to walk out on stage in costume and with props and do a solo number with Mrs. Scott. My song was "Off We Go." I can still see my hand shaking out in front of me as I mimed an airplane taking off, my Air Force garrison cap nearly sliding off my head. All those people! I'm a professional musician and have had a million performances, but I'll never forget the terror of singing to that sea of faces. How did she get all those kids to get up there and perform? Everyone did it and nobody cried. There was a big "Old Sparky"-like chair painted bright red for the miscreants to sit in. I got put in it a couple of times, once for climbing up a tall bookshelf to get at a cowbell that sat on the top shelf. Mrs. Scott used the bell to summon the kids back from recess. I was supposed to be outside, but I wanted to look at the bell. When I picked it up it clanged like a dinner gong and all the kids started to line up to come back in. Busted! There was a double garage where we kept our Superman capes and played with blocks. I graduated from Lee in 1973. Years later, when I was in the Army Band in D.C., my mother sent me a picture. It was a wide lens photo of the class decked out in Halloween costumes (I was a skeleton). I recognized 18 kids who went either to Bayview, Lakeshore, or Lee with me, and several who had been to all three, including two who also went to FSU.

I'd love to read other recollections of Lakeshore Kindergarten.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:02 PM

190 posts, read 391,637 times
Does anyone remember the name of the Chevrolet Dealership that was on Arlington Expressway back in the '70's and '80's? I believe it may be a boat dealership now. My uncle (who has passed) worked security there during the time when a huge sinkhole occurred and they lost several new vehicles. For the life of me, I cannot remember the name of the dealership. Thanks.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:12 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,301,736 times
I miss the Frost Top, on Normandy Boulevard, across the street
from Normandy Mall.

Great drinks, served in ice-cold mugs, good hamburgers, fries and
hot dogs. Absolutely the best juke box in Jacksonville. A real old
fashioned hamburger joint. Both guys worked there were bald and
they never cared how loud we talked or played the juke box. Great
times!!!

Went there for much of the 70s, rocking place to hang out.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:25 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missesthebeaches View Post
Does anyone remember the name of the Chevrolet Dealership that was on Arlington Expressway back in the '70's and '80's? I believe it may be a boat dealership now. My uncle (who has passed) worked security there during the time when a huge sinkhole occurred and they lost several new vehicles. For the life of me, I cannot remember the name of the dealership. Thanks.
It was Crest Chevrolet in the 80's and 90's before it became a boat dealership. But it was another Chevrolet dealership before that. (can't remember that name though)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville