Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2012, 03:41 PM

25 posts, read 78,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missesthebeaches View Post
Love your description of the size of Jax (Holy Crap)! How much time did you spend in the Mayport area before you moved away?
My dad was a Merchant Marine and my memories of Mayport are about us all getting into the station wagon and mom driving up to Mayport to pick him up when he was on leave. I saw some live video out of Mayport a few weeks ago when tropical storm Beryl hit. Is it still a small town or is it full of resort hotels now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 06:25 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,850 times
A small declining(if JaxPort gets its way) fishing village. A couple of small restaurants, a large marina, a fish processing plant and the Coast Guard Station.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone but not forgotten in Jacksonville!-3242623342_bd9ac64cee_z.jpg  

Old 06-09-2012, 06:05 PM

240 posts, read 452,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
High end work clothes. And we like getting away for a week or so and catching a show and such.
so where was the shopping for mid-luxury or low end like old navy, aeropostale, new york and company, hollister, etc. i was having a dicussion with my mother about our hometown and she said before the high end places came to the south and before the internet, they had to order from catalogs. and the only way to get catalog phone numbers was by word of mouth( stores like barney's, macy's, or designer brands like louis vutton, versace, etc) this was in the 60s and 70s tho. it sounds expensive

Old 06-11-2012, 07:08 AM

190 posts, read 391,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMT View Post
My dad was a Merchant Marine and my memories of Mayport are about us all getting into the station wagon and mom driving up to Mayport to pick him up when he was on leave. I saw some live video out of Mayport a few weeks ago when tropical storm Beryl hit. Is it still a small town or is it full of resort hotels now?

The village of Mayport has changed over the years and, unfortunately, not for the better. It is still small but most businesses are gone now. There are a couple of die hards but it's still sad to see. They want to put a cruise ship in Mayport and I believe hotels or condos as well but the residents are fighting to keep their small hometown small. I still have family who are commercial fishermen out of Mayport. They tell me that the fishing/shrimping business is a dying breed in Mayport but they keep hanging in there. The base has grown quite a bit. They even moved the Commissary and Exchange off base to Mayport Road in the early '90's, I believe. Mayport Road between Atlantic Blvd. and the base has grown so much it's nearly unrecognizable. Of course, the whole Beaches/Mayport area has grown tremendously over the years. If you have been away since the '70's you would definitely be lost if you go back.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,842 times
Remember Milligan's (Cassat Ave) and Penny Burgers (Herschel at Fishweir)?"

Old 06-14-2012, 04:48 PM

There were about a dozen Milligans here in town, one at Cassatt and Normandy, one at Normandy and Ellis, one at Edgewood across from Paxon shopping center and one at Blanding and 103rd. That's just on the west side of Jax.
Penny Burgers was great also, in both locations (Herschel & St Johns Ave. and the one at Jax Beach on 3rd Street)

Old 06-15-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassajara View Post

I remember both. My favorite was Milligan's on the corner of Mayport Road and Atlantic Blvd. Does anyone remember the A&W Rootbeer stands? There was one on the corner of Seminole Rd. and Atlantic Blvd. in Atlantic Beach. Every time my folks would go to the laundry across the street my dad would take me over to the A&W. I was little and I loved to go up the steps to try to see over the counter. Oh to be a kid again!!!

Old 06-18-2012, 02:25 PM

This used to be Wasabi's Japanese Buffet located in the 5 Points neighborhood of Historic Riverside on the SW corner of Forbes St and Margaret St. Not anymore as it burned down this morning.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
This used to be Wasabi's Japanese Buffet located in the 5 Points neighborhood of Historic Riverside on the SW corner of Forbes St and Margaret St. Not anymore as it burned down this morning.
That's awful!

Old 06-18-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassajara View Post
Penny Burger ad!

If I remember correctly this is from the one on Herschell & St Johns Ave.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone but not forgotten in Jacksonville!-429893_3148833852721_122201377_n.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville