Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2012, 09:48 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,524,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Slim View Post
I'll play too. Remember having to pay tolls on the bridges?
the irony of this post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 09:56 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMT View Post
Thanks. I Googled it on street view maps and I see the library there now. I was still there in 1975, probably passed by that theater once or twice a week. And still I have no memory of it. Strange. But in my mind, I can still not only picture the location of the Midway, but where the ticket booth was, the kiddie park, and the concession stand. In 1973 I worked at a Pizza Hut and an Army Navy store, both on the western end of Merrill road. I'm sure both are long gone. JU looks about the same. The last place I lived was on Ft. Caroline Road near Rogero, and it all looks un-recognizeable.
yea that area is a warzone now..crazy how things change

Old 06-22-2012, 12:44 PM

8 posts, read 19,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMT View Post
The Pizza Inns? There used to be a Krystal on the corner of Arlington and University
That location closed only a few short years ago. It still had the add-on from the chain's 70s experiment with having a separate counter for fried chicken, converted to storage.
Quote:
I will never forget the pocket bread sandwich place on North Univ. Blvd. I think they were called Camel Riders.
You might be thinking of Godfather's, which was in the Gazebo shopping center facing N. University (corner of Ft. Caroline).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mee9mee9 View Post
so where was the shopping for mid-luxury or low end like old navy, aeropostale, new york and company, hollister, etc.
The Avenues Mall, at the corner of Southside Blvd and US1/Philips Hwy. When it was built in the 80s, it was the first of many blows to Regency's prosperity. Now they both have suffered from Town Center opening.

Does anyone remember the specific location of the A&W in the beaches area in the 70s? It was in the old curb service style. Our family used to stop there on the way back home from the beach, and I really loved the big frosty glass mugs of root beer. Not knowing my local geography at the time, I can't place it now. I don't even know if it was on Atlantic or Beach.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:05 PM

838 posts, read 1,868,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadwell_Jay View Post
Does anyone remember the specific location of the A&W in the beaches area in the 70s? It was in the old curb service style. Our family used to stop there on the way back home from the beach, and I really loved the big frosty glass mugs of root beer. Not knowing my local geography at the time, I can't place it now. I don't even know if it was on Atlantic or Beach.
I think (I could be mistaken) that it was on the north side of Beach Blvd a few blocks east of the Intracoastal Waterway.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:02 PM

190 posts, read 389,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkerclassof72 View Post
I think (I could be mistaken) that it was on the north side of Beach Blvd a few blocks east of the Intracoastal Waterway.

I remember (I believe) one near Third St.on the south side of Beach Blvd. past the bowling alley. I believe it was near where Kentucky Fried Chicken and Maryland Fried Chicken sat. My mom seems to think there was one on Atlantic south of Penman Road. I remember the one we walked up to on Seminole and Atlantic but I can't remember one being on Atlantic Blvd.

Does anyone remember The Beaches Sixth Grade Center on 10th St in Jax Beach? I went there in '76. One of my favorite teachers of all time was Miss Celia Cone. I will remember her always!

Old 06-22-2012, 02:37 PM

190 posts, read 389,508 times
Here's another blast from the past.....does anyone remember Western Auto on Beach just east of Penman Road or Silver's Drugs on First St (it's now a souvenir shop)?

Old 06-22-2012, 03:20 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,461,932 times
Quote:
I will never forget the pocket bread sandwich place on North Univ. Blvd. I think they were called Camel Riders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadwell_Jay View Post
You might be thinking of Godfather's, which was in the Gazebo shopping center facing N. University (corner of Ft. Caroline)
I believe that was Farah's restaurant/sandwich shop someone is remembering for the Camel Rider. Also in the Gazebo shopping center, facing University Blvd. end next to the Baskin-Robins Ice Cream shop. Don't believe Godfathers sold camel riders, just pizza's. But I may be wrong, because whenever I wanted a pizza from up that way we went to Nero's Italian Ristorante.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:02 PM

8 posts, read 19,280 times
Farah's was a different, separate restaurant, one or two doors down (they had the gazebo of the shopping center's name). What I'm speaking of is a sandwich shop, with a similar menu to Camel Rider, but IIRC it wasn't a Camel Rider. I know they had a sandwich called the Godfather, which I loved. It's possible my memory has named the shop after the sandwich. My older sister worked there, I'll ask her. (Definitely a different place than Godfather's Pizza!)

As for A&W, somehow I do recall it being on the north side of the road...

Old 06-22-2012, 10:23 PM

219 posts, read 507,567 times
McAlister's used to have a sandwich called the Godfather; roast beef, parm, marinara. I'm guessing that's not the place you're talking about though.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:28 PM

25 posts, read 78,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
yea that area is a warzone now..crazy how things change
Really? Wow that's so hard to believe. Has all of Arlington become bad? I've been away for 35 years and am shocked to hear it's gone downhill there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville