Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2016, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,868 times

Advertisements

Yes, Maurice Samples was Mouse and is a worship leader now I think. Hawthorns was the BEST!! We would have a "Triple Threat" coconut,pineapple and orange juice, while waiting for the city bus just outside the little juice bar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 09:25 PM

278 posts, read 906,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa Reynolds Horne View Post
My husband, Brett Horne, practically lived at the Crystal Palace and I have heard for 27 years how awesome you guys were. Do you play around town anymore? I would love to hear ya. Any music out there to listen to?

Born and stayed right here in Jacksonville. He was beaching it and I was a townie.

Look forward to hearing from ya.

Thanks,
Teresa
Here are some tracks for an earlier version of Crystal Image (1977):

https://soundcloud.com/garydow/sets/crystal-image

Old 07-31-2016, 04:22 PM

8 posts, read 19,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I had to drive from the Merrill Road Winn Dixie to one of downtown stores to load my Ford Pinto hatchback with as many cases of LeSeur Early Peas as I could fit in it. That car didn't handle that well in the first place, imagine how well it drove stacked full of cases of canned peas! I should have gotten hazardous duty pay for that journey!

Cheers! M2
Oh what a mental image I'm getting!!! Thanks for the laugh on a rainy day. Things were so much simpler then. Now it would take fourteen supervisors and a tractor trailer to get peas.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:27 PM

RE: Green Stamps: I remember having to lick the stamps for my mother, because she was too busy. She would save them up until she had enough for a few books, then we had to sit down at the kitchen table with a little saucer of water. I had forgotten about the actual store, but all of a sudden, I'm in it again. :-) I remember glass shelves full of goodies, and of course, we didn't dare act out. Selecting something was a very big deal because we definitely didn't have spare money.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:31 PM

Default Crabshaw's Saloon in Arlington

Does anyone remember Crabshaw's Saloon in Arlington, near Atlantic and University and Lucky Gamble's Shell station? Crabshaw's had spool tables, and was a hippie hang-out in early 70s.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,521 times
Anyone Remember WAPE, the big ape, ahhhh-eeeeeee-Ahhhhhhh the Greaseman and Hondo? Then years later Rock 105 started, what a revolution that was, our own ROCK station. they had the "daily dose"...anyone?? Led Zepplin! And the joke off with Christopher Rude every Friday? Remember the black T shirts that had a rock wearing headphones? ...classic

Anybody who got braces in Arlington got them from Dr Kleechak, he started his practice on Arlingwood Rd right near Arlington Expressway, then later moved to that new office on Cesery with all the windows and the FREE video games! Are you kidding me? Free video games! Back in the day Every kid wanted braces! He drove a Jag' and he was cool

Remember when the pool place opened on Cesery near Merrill? Harley's rack and que, I think

Charlie Coleman's Sports on Arlington Rd, near Bruce Park which had "the Rocket Slide", also played some great hoops games there when I got older

Arlington Little League, played T ball there the very first year they had it, 1974

Tiffany's Bowling Alley where the Big Star used to be on Ft Caroline Rd

Going on field trips to Tree Hill on Lone Star

Playing golf at University Country Club

Who worked out at Bailey's Gym? ...The original on Arlington Rd near Ace Hardware

Pedal Pushers at Arlington and Rogero and Schwinn Bikes a little further down on Arlington Rd

The Skating Place!! Friday nights were never the same for a 14 yr old

The YMCA on Ft Caroline

Hanging out at Reddi Point (at the Southern endpoint of University Blvd) before it was developed

Putt Putt on Arlington Expy

Papa's nightclub near Regency Square, Later had other names, then became Confetti,

Kona and the "paved wave"!!!

The Jacksonville Tea Men

JU b-ball games and concerts, wrestling and tractor pulls at Jax Memorial Coliseum! Saw Van Halen in 84, U2 in 85, ZZ Top in 86

Man what a great place to grow up in the 70's/80's !!!!!!!

Old 12-21-2016, 12:42 AM

4 posts, read 24,133 times
I get links to this thread every once in a blue moon, so what the hell. More stuff, who knows in a thread this long how much is duplicated ...

Rocky Horror Picture Show every weekend for years at the San Marco theater. Lot's of semi-drunk people hitting stores like Albertson's around 11:30 pm to buy rice and newpapers.

People jumping fully clothed into the pool in the center of the riverside deck at Harbormasters in the 80s. And River Rally past Friendship Fountain by the Chart House, with $1 drinks in plastic cups. Between those places and Fat Tuesday's and Annie Tiques across at The Landing, it is a miracle some of us survived.

Waffle House on Baymeadows Road, the final destination to many a weekend party night out.

My then-girlfriend (I won't name her, who knows she might be on this thread lol) getting permanently banned from Shuckers at the beach for throwing a bottle at another woman. She was a little drunk and somehow thought the woman was staring at me from the dance floor. Andy was the bouncer and had been a high school classmate of hers a few years back, so he helped usher her out of there before the woman decided to have her arrested.

Having shrimp at Crustacean's on the intercoastal at Beach Blvd.

That barber shop chair at the old Homestead's Copper Top Pub, pouring upside-down marguerita's into your mouth.

Devouring 6 Krystal hamburgers after a morning of surfing.

The Wacky Golf on Beach Blvd on the way to the beach, with the giant T-Rex and other giant statues.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:45 PM

2 posts, read 2,705 times
I went to Sandalwood 83-85, loved the school. At the time it was the nicest school I had went to. Then in 85 my dad had the bright idea to move back to his hometown in Georgia. The school there was backwards compared to Sandalwood. Sandalwood teachers wrote on the wall with dry erase markers, the Georgia school, was like going back to the 50's, think they were stuck there, used chalkboards. The layout of Sandalwood was genius, English, Math and Social Studies/History in their own wings, the art, music department in one area, and the science rooms/labs in the middle. The huge lunchroom and library with courtyard in the middle. The auditorium and the small indoor amphitheater, gym area had a nice layout as well. The school in Georgia was sorta the same with classroom wings, but just the layout, changing classrooms on outdoor sidewalks, and a building that had not been updated in years made it worse. At Sandalwood, loved the early out football games, fieldtrips to EPCOT were the best. The changing classes was a challenge with 3,000 students in the hallways in 5 mins was a bit crazy, but made it work.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:49 PM

5 posts, read 8,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggregchap View Post
OMG !! Mobleys...at what we called "Grand Crossing". I worked for many years with Southern Bell in that area and that was a favorite stop for us...and the train crews....they had ther best burgers and genuine Milk shakes cooked by an Elvis wannabee behind the counter. The place was pretty run down in the early 70's when we went there....and we used to watch the engineers pull across the road and park on the tracks just down from Mobleys...and walk up to the store. It was about the only good place to eat out in that area for a few miles around. Thanks for the memories !! I had not thought of "Grand Crossing" in years....and i think it was like 15 sets of tracks you had to drive across to get back there....
I remember Mobley's. We went there many times over the years (1983-1990's). Herman & Willie served the best cheeseburgers, fries & milk shakes. Willie had a old Mopar car with the spoiler on the back. It was stenciled "Cool Willie".

Old 10-22-2017, 08:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,857 times
Default Cometition cycles

I worked at Competition cycles on Saturdays. I also raced a Canam motorcycle with Howard's team. He was the best Boss I ever had. Even though I have been self employed ever since.. HA.. Howard was a good man.
He was in his early twenties when he owned the shop. He was also a very good rider. I was with him when we competed in many Motocross, and hare scramble events. Other members of his team were..Chuck Sams, Bubba Dent, Weasel? can't remember his real mame, Way Carter, and several more I can't remember. LOTS of great memories. Thanks to Howard Wehnes!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville