Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2014, 01:13 PM

4 posts, read 37,996 times

Advertisements

WARNING: If you are building your home with the Zip System, some builders have installed the taped joints improperly. The house in the pictures is from Plummer Creek. This example is how NOT to install the Zip System. It must be applied flat and smooth or the mfg warranty is VOID. The Zip System is used on the roof and walls. Moisture can get into the home either way. They do not put roof felt down on the roof and apply the shingles directly to the Zip Board. Most shingle manufacturers will not warranty the shingles if they are not installed properly on an approved under-lament. Florida is a humid state and besides running water, the humidity will build up condensation between the cooler interior and warm exterior. If humidity or moisture gets through the walls you are going to have big moisture problems down the road. When using this Zip System, they do not use a house wrap either. "It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt". As I grow older I realize that hurt can come in many ways, especially financially when your house develops problems so deep in the structure.

I really hate to have to tell you all this, but I didn't know that anyone was even discussing the area. Pictures Below, and you can download the installation instructions at the Zip System manufacturer. Then you can go look at ones exposed still. It says right in the manufacturers literature how critical it is to have the taped joints laid flat, no kinks, etc. and that it voids the warranty if not installed properly.

The Zip System is a new system like so many new construction systems, some have failed in the past. Some builders will not be financially able to remove the roofs and siding and replace the boards and system correctly. The manufacturer won't because it was installed improperly.

Go check your home when it is in the framing phase and make sure your taped joints are done properly or I would not close on the house. With the heavy summer rains coming, you could witness a disaster in the homes already built. And then again, it may take a year or so before it permeates the walls and you have to have it stripped down for mold removal, new insulation, and basically redone from the framing phase up. The critical thing to do is keep an eye out on your home no matter what builder is building it. Make sure you understand the process and go out and see it as much as possible. It is these foundational errors that can lead to a string of other problems down the road. The Zip System may be a great system when it is installed properly. The problem is, we have not had it in use long enough to know whether or not it will have problems with taped joints as time wears on the tape itself. We do know one thing though. If you don't apply the system per the instructions so that the warranty is valid, you might as well not do the job at all. And it tells you directly in the instruction manual that improperly installed Zip System will void the warranty.

Building a home is one of the biggest investments you will make in your life probably. You spend hard earned money for it. Demand proper workmanship!

Install Manuals for the Zip System Product can be downloaded from the Manufacturer here:
http://www.huberwood.com/technical-l...tallation-tips

Last edited by JP2424; 04-29-2014 at 01:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 06:00 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,894,659 times
JP2424: Thank you for your informative post. The pictures are great! Your post is excellent but I'm afraid it will not get seen by those who need to see it. IMO, you should start a new thread titled "Important Info re: Zip System in new Build" or similar descriptive to get the best visibility for the post.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:18 AM

123 posts, read 301,171 times
JP thanks for sharing. Very interesting. We have already closed on our DF home but I'm going to try to go back and take a look at the pictures from the build and see if I can notice any taping issues.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:47 AM

190 posts, read 315,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc912 View Post
JP thanks for sharing. Very interesting. We have already closed on our DF home but I'm going to try to go back and take a look at the pictures from the build and see if I can notice any taping issues.
And if you do find any ... what then???

Old 04-30-2014, 08:31 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
I'd never heard of the Zip System before. Looked it up and found this discussion:

All About Water-Resistive Barriers | GreenBuildingAdvisor.com

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about having an "air-tight" house in Florida. If the house is 100% air-tight - you're just going to have radon building up in the house. A problem that is easily solved by opening windows and "airing out" the house. Nevertheless...

Robyn

Old 04-30-2014, 09:54 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,159,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I'd never heard of the Zip System before. Looked it up and found this discussion:

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about having an "air-tight" house in Florida. If the house is 100% air-tight - you're just going to have radon building up in the house. A problem that is easily solved by opening windows and "airing out" the house. Nevertheless...

Robyn
A lot of assumptions there as well, "all" houses have this problem? Really, did you tear away the stucco of existing homes and look?

Old 04-30-2014, 11:10 AM

4 posts, read 37,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post

Robyn
Thanks for the link. I found this reading it. Scary to be a test subject.

There is a strange wrinkle in the warranty, however: the warranty specifically excludes coverage in a home that has “deterioration of the exterior roof or wall.” This exclusion is odd; taken literally (the way lawyers usually interpret such documents), it is a circular provision that should prevent Huber from honoring any warranty claims. Presumably, the only homeowners or builders who might need a warranty are those with deterioration of the exterior roof or wall. (Homeowner to warranty rep: “If my wall wasn’t deteriorated, I wouldn’t be calling you!”)

“The quality of the installation depends on the adhesion and on workmanship,” he says. “At the end of the day, we don’t know how it will adhere in the long run. It is an unanswerable question.”

Many builders who appreciate this fact use Zip System sheathing as part of their air barrier — while still using housewrap, since housewrap can be lapped over window flashings and may be more dependable than Zip System tape.

BTW, feel free to use my pics if you want. I am claiming no copyright to them or any other claim.

Last edited by JP2424; 04-30-2014 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-30-2014, 09:23 PM

123 posts, read 301,171 times
JP, are you currently building with Dreamfinders?

Old 05-02-2014, 09:29 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP2424 View Post
Thanks for the link. I found this reading it. Scary to be a test subject...
We avoided any such issues by building our house the "old fashioned" Florida way. Concrete block and stucco (CBS). I've never understood why most builders in north Florida build "stick" - because most builders in most other parts of Florida don't. Robyn

Old 05-17-2014, 09:17 PM

2 posts, read 5,177 times
We are buying in Plummer Creek - Jim was telling us that our home should be done in Sept/Oct.

What have they told you guys about the Amenity Center? Keep getting run around
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville