Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 07:54 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,870,594 times

Advertisements

I saw a comic saying never go there. How bad are these areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 08:17 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,269 times
There are good and bad spots in every area of town. Heck, many people wouldn't even agree on where the "westside" begins and ends.

In general, the W & NW side of town are less desirable than the S and SE part of down. Everything else is somewhere in between on the spectrum. Again, this is very general and has exceptions.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:15 AM

213 posts, read 422,147 times
It is just like every where else, it has its good areas and bad areas. Westside and Northside areas is more of a red neck area, riverside - avondale is more of a young crowd. Ponte Vedra, St. Augustine, and Fernandina is more of an older crowd and retired people. Jax Beach, Southside, Deerwood, and Mandarin is more for young people.

W, NS, Southside, and Arlington have gone down hill alot and the crime has gone up in those neighborhoods, but Springfield looks to be on the rebound cause I remember a time when JSO did not go into that part of town.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:35 AM

8,937 posts, read 20,359,009 times
We wouldn't go into the Northwest Side or Northside after dark.......no way! Now, there are two nightclubs on the Westside (Blanding St area) that have seen their share of crime.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:00 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,316,322 times
Northside = Compton

So yea, dont go there, especially at night

Old 02-11-2012, 06:05 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,117,053 times
Inner Northside/NW Jacksonville, plus Inner Westside are the bad areas because they have a high black population. Northside is the "black side" of town so unfortunately there will be more criminality due to drugs & beef. What you need to understand is that very little, if any happens in the way of crime above I-95/Dunn Ave. on the Northside and I-295/95 in the Airport Area. The hoods are south of New Kings Rd. on the Northside/NW part of the city BTW, you can't get shot for wearing red or blue on the Northside as opposed to Compton/LA

Old 02-11-2012, 07:28 AM

5,124 posts, read 6,119,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
BTW, you can't get shot for wearing red or blue on the Northside as opposed to Compton/LA
Actually Compton has come a long way in the last few years in a positive way.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:52 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,316,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Actually Compton has come a long way in the last few years in a positive way.

Well Jacksonville hasnt. I was there today unfortunately and it's still many square miles downtown with nothing but either vacant land or boarded up shacks. Got a huge LOL when I stopped at a gas station on the Northside, at like Kings Rd in the vicinity of Myrtle St. and went inside to get a coke, the whole gas station was behind bulletproof glass and you had to talk through a speaker, put money through a droor and then they gave you your stuff through the droor. Unbelievable. I'm sure such things may exist in Tampa, but I have not run into them. Dont ask me why I was there, it was definitely not my idea of fun.

To your credit, the city did not smell today. Maybe the paper mills were on strike or something. Was windy as hell and cold. Glad to be home.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:33 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,570,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post

To your credit, the city did not smell today. Maybe the paper mills were on strike or something. Was windy as hell and cold. Glad to be home.
Paper mills havent been here for nearly 20 years. Tampa has its down right scary parts of town as well. If i wanted to take the time to look thru the Tampa forums I am sure I would find a similar anecdote about Tampa. No need to spread the hate

Old 02-13-2012, 01:15 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,563,223 times
The answer is YES, if you lack street smarts stay away. If you want peace and harmony move to Riverside. Its a happy & gay place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville