Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 08:54 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
...I worked closely with JSO related to at-risk teens and have been told that gangs are not a problem here, but that some teens will use the symbols and bandana colors to project that they are members of a gang.

I also took part in JCCI's 17 week murder study a year and half ago. Gangs were not considered a contributing factor to violence in Jacksonville. Twenty nine risk factors were identified and gangs were not considered to be an issue in Duval.
That is key - basing your conclusion on real information, not sensationalized media fodder. HIF has worked closely with JSO and has had real discussions with those on the front line of the issue. My experience is not as extensive, but I have also had one-on-one real life discussions with JSO regarding crime in our city through ShadCo and other means. That doesn't mean we know all the answers, but it means we've made an effort to find out more and ask the questions and not depend solely on what comes through the tv screen or the newspaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 05:57 AM

4 posts, read 11,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
There's been nothing to show any correlation between Hurricane Katrina evacuees and any increase in crime.

I was here in Jax before and after Hurricane Katrina and I've seen nothing to make me believe the evacuees increased our crime rate, I think Jacksonville is pretty good at increasing its' own crime rate, we don't need any outside help.
And I was here before and after it as well and I HAVE seen things to suggest the increase is IN PART due to the newcomers. You can remain ignorant of that possibility if you wish. I'm talking about common sense not ink and paper. You aren't the authority on this issue anyway so your opinion doesn't count for much. I didn't point to the evacuees and say yeah they're the problem. I simply noted that their presence could have SOME bearing on the increase in the year 2007. Being swift about hearing and slow about speaking would do a lot of people good I see. Continue to combat the idea If you wish. I won't waste my time.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:33 PM

238 posts, read 782,546 times
All I am saying is that i have done extensive research on the particular gang I am speaking of (MS-13)- I wrote a 20 page detailed report on the structure and mobility on this gang - so im not just some fool trying to stir things up. All i know is that the graffit i saw had hidden symbols and the exact style of text and art work that only ms-13 uses. I highly doubt some local street kid with no affiliations to ms-13 would tag a wall with these markings . I am NOT saying we have a gang problem, or that gangs are a major contribution to violence in jacksonville. However, to think that a growing city such as jacksonville (with over 800,000 people in the area) does not have a "real" gang is crazy

Old 12-18-2007, 09:36 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MzNeekie View Post
And I was here before and after it as well and I HAVE seen things to suggest the increase is IN PART due to the newcomers. You can remain ignorant of that possibility if you wish. I'm talking about common sense not ink and paper. You aren't the authority on this issue anyway so your opinion doesn't count for much. I didn't point to the evacuees and say yeah they're the problem. I simply noted that their presence could have SOME bearing on the increase in the year 2007. Being swift about hearing and slow about speaking would do a lot of people good I see. Continue to combat the idea If you wish. I won't waste my time.
You're welcome to believe anything you wish, but I am equally welcome to point out that there has been nothing concrete to suggest your "possibility" is a "reality".

You're right, I'm not the authority on the issue. That would be the JSO and the Mayor's office and they're not blaming the Katrina evacuees for any increase in crime.

As for combating the idea, I wasn't the one being combative.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:35 AM

472 posts, read 1,544,410 times
Default No one is rejecting your views, just your lack of support!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzNeekie View Post
The problem with your assumption is that it is not supported by statistics. You chosing to isolate a group of people based on your "assumptions" is not socially responsible. If you had posted an article to support your point of view, that would have given you some merit. Its like walking into a robbed convenience store and saying,"I think that blacks probably had something to do with this. You know, there have been an influx of blacks into the neighborhood lately." It is like you are having faith that hurricane transplants are a source of trouble. Bottom line, if you don't post more than an opinion, people will judge you based on what they see. So don't get defensive when someone calls you on it. If you find something that supports your OPINION, then you would make more sense. Perception is not reality, but CLEARLY ignorance is bliss!

*P.S.* I am one of those awful, crime-inducing hurricane transplants!

Old 12-19-2007, 06:07 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-VA-FL View Post
All I am saying is that i have done extensive research on the particular gang I am speaking of (MS-13)- I wrote a 20 page detailed report on the structure and mobility on this gang - so im not just some fool trying to stir things up. All i know is that the graffit i saw had hidden symbols and the exact style of text and art work that only ms-13 uses. I highly doubt some local street kid with no affiliations to ms-13 would tag a wall with these markings . I am NOT saying we have a gang problem, or that gangs are a major contribution to violence in jacksonville. However, to think that a growing city such as jacksonville (with over 800,000 people in the area) does not have a "real" gang is crazy
Your research would be good information to share with JSO. I did not mean to suggest that there are no gang members here at all, just that it isn't on the radar of risk factors at this time. And I defintely don't think you're trying to stir things up!

Your background and real-life knowledge coming from LA would be a resource that JSO should welcome. I know they do have a contact for gang-related inquiries/concerns. Just being able to show the difference in the real tags and the wanna-be tags would, IMO, be helpful to them.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:55 AM

365 posts, read 699,240 times
I wouldnt argue that some of the MS13 have relatives living in Sandalwood area here, that school has had some very serious criminal problems...but to think they are seriously inhabiting Jax would be a waste of their precious evil time Id guess...but who knows, you may be right, they may actually be here and serving time in Raiford, our state penitentiary... if you stay out of the Northside, and be careful on the Westside, avoid living in Sandalwood and be cautious when in Riverside late at night...Id say the crime will continue, but without you being in it...

Old 12-19-2007, 08:06 AM

365 posts, read 699,240 times
about gangs in Jax, In general I dont think we have any either, if we do, they are the bloods, but my son was acquainted with the brother of the man who beat the university of florida student to death ... we didnt even know they were related until it went to trial... think the idea is just to try and be careful of all people you know and meet... but gang violence graffiti on the walls is probably just from the downtown kids who are doing their wishful thinking... my son skateboarded downtown alot, and rode the city bus home late at night until I found it out... he encountered alot of shady characters that seemed gang oriented he said, but were in fact, more like "wannabes"... i.e. bad kids just imagining they are gang members for the sake of toughness...either way, it doesnt make them safe to be near...

Old 12-19-2007, 11:07 AM

238 posts, read 782,546 times
Yea, I do agree that most of the kids out there are probably just trying to seem "tough" by acting like they are in, or related to gangs. I did find this article on some previous ecounters with well known gangs in Clay County (one of them being Ms-13) - Im sure if they are in Clay then they are most definitely in Duval.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/l...?storyid=96431

Old 12-19-2007, 01:19 PM

859 posts, read 3,617,895 times
gang tag problem in JAX is nothing compared to LA...they tag EVERYTHING in the city of [tagged]angels. when you start seeing graffiti on every single road sign(freeways included), building, structure, then you have a serious problem. LA has turned into a even worse slump. We haven't seen much yet, really hope the police gang force can do their job before it does get worse. and city needs more money for that stuff!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville