Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 06:51 AM

554 posts, read 975,323 times

Advertisements

Publix is a good store. It's not close to being a Wegmans but it is much better then the Giant's, Shoppers, Harris Teeters etc. They do make fantastic subs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 08:24 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,486,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
We are definitely planning at least two more trips (both longer trips, too. Two days is just not enough time for something like this.)
No! you need to spend at least a long week, to get a real feel for anyplace . And even then you will most likely miss some things.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:03 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,887,895 times
Caladium: So sorry to hear that your husband's leg is still bothering him. I'm glad that our Flagler Hospital was there to help you when you needed it and I do hope that his leg will continue to mend. When you come back, you really must experience Publix Supermarket. I really love shopping there as the store is always clean, well stocked, I like their meat dept. and their customer service is excellent. The Island Publix is not a huge store with all the choices you may want, but the manager will special order anything you want. The Publix on 312 at Cobblestone is a little larger but not enough to make a difference that I would drive over there when I can go a mile to the one on the Island. For fresh seafood, I shop at the Seafood Shoppe on Anastasia Island and on Saturdays I go to the farrmer's market at the Ampitheater. I'm guessing that due to the sore leg and time contraint issues, you didn't have much opportunity to walk around the downtown area. I hope you were able to enjoy a coupld local restaurants. What neighborhoods did you like or not like so much? Was your realtor tour guide helpful? Did you have to drive back to Orlando to fly home? Enjoy your memories and hopefully next time you will have lots more time and more sunny days and blue skies than we had this weekend.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:04 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,436,134 times
Guess I missed it. What's wrong with your husband's leg? The way my husband and I think - either we don't need a hospital at all (there's so much stuff done "out-patient" these days). And when we do need a hospital - we want the best - which Flagler Hospital is not in NE Florida.

Publix is the #1 grocery chain in Florida. We like it a lot. Middle of the road food - excellent service.

I agree with Madcap but will go one step further. You can't get a real feel for a place without being there for at least 6+ months. Might not matter if you're moving because of a new job. But you're dealing with an altogether different animal when it comes to retirement. FWIW - this is one of the nicest times of the year in Florida. I wouldn't move to Florida unless I could live with the summer here. Robyn

Old 03-27-2012, 05:35 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,018,324 times
I've spent a few summers in Miami, so I'm not too worried about summer in NE Florida. Plus, we get triple digit temps up here in VA, so we've learned how to deal with it. I do want to check it out in the winter, though. As for longer trips, we do plan to make a few but I also have to be realistic about it. I'd love to spend six months in every single one of the cities we're considering for retirement, but I'm not made of money or endless time so I'll just have to make these trips when I can. Sometimes you don't get an opportunity to stay for long; this was a weekend added on to a business trip--we couldn't stay longer because both of us have job responsibilities we need to return to. Still, it was better than nothing. We did get a taste of the area, and that's a good start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville