Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2012, 04:32 PM

13 posts, read 46,528 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Gainesville this summer for a new job.

Here is my question - how does Jacksonville differ from Gainesville, culture-wise? Is Gainesville more progressive than Jacksonville, or vice-versa?

Also, I'm 38 yrs. old and single. What do I do for fun in Gainesville?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 05:59 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,236,991 times
Gainesville is centered around the University of Florida. Everything revolves around UF. Everything.

What do you do for fun? Hit on hot graduate students, watch UF athletics, and go hunting. And come up to Jax for the weekend.

Yes, it's pretty progressive, as most big university towns are.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:01 AM

Thanks for the input.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:00 AM

1,071 posts, read 2,877,579 times
IMO, Gainesville can be a nice place to live for anyone, post-college age through senior citizen, if you live in an area that is not so infiltrated with college students. My daughter has lived there for 14 years and is in her 30's. I would suggest that you look for a place to live west of Gainesville off Newberry Road. The Jonesvile area is nice with new shopping areas and the Town of Tioga planned community. It's close to the Oaks Mall and a 20 minute drive to downtown Gainesville.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:03 PM

ssclulow, thanks for the post!

Old 04-01-2012, 11:13 AM

509 posts, read 1,672,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
Gainesville is centered around the University of Florida. Everything revolves around UF. Everything.

What do you do for fun? Hit on hot graduate students, watch UF athletics, and go hunting. And come up to Jax for the weekend.

Yes, it's pretty progressive, as most big university towns are.
You can't possibly believe this is a description of the entire town!
Gainesville is a nice, laid back town with lots to do - plays, concerts, etc.
Jacksonville is about 10 times larger, population wise, and the crime rate follows. Because Gainesville is smaller, you can get across town in a new minutes, not in an hour. We are further inland, but that's an advantage when huricane season arrives.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:15 PM

530 posts, read 1,452,912 times
I live in both places, and this statement ^^ is false in my opinion. GV is nice when the students are away. Traffic is just as bad, and you expect traffic in a city like Jax. I would never recommend anyone moving to GV unless they are in school and plan on moving when finished. During football season this place is horrible unless your a student. JMO.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:22 AM

22 posts, read 68,619 times
Yes, just your opinion.

My husband was born and raised in Gainesville (left for graduate school but came back in his 30's), I've lived here for ~10 years. And we both agree this is the best place in FL to live (we've been all over) This town is NOT horrible if you are not a college student. I have found that people who think that way are people who do not go to the right places. I rarely ever see undergrads. The places I frequent, they just don't go there. Yes, probably a good idea to avoid campus during a home game but other than that, again, never any problems here with the students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville