Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 01:05 PM

1 posts, read 66,273 times

Advertisements

Okay, so my husband has been offered a job near Jacksonville, Florida. He would actually be working on King's Bay Naval Base. We were thinking if living in Jacksonville or in St. Mary's, Georgia. I was just wondering if Jacksonville is a nice, affordable place to live. And does anyone have any ideas of specific areas that would be nice to live in? We are planning on starting a family soon, so we would like a nice neighborhood for kids. I am not sure where the best schools are though. We also have a dog, so nice walking trails for her are a plus. Any suggestions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 03:16 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,459,827 times
IMO ... Jacksonville is a great place to live and work in. Unfortunately your husband will be working at Kings Bay in Georgia and with gas pushing $4.00/gal. now and predicted to go to $5.00/gal by
mid-summer, St Mary's makes more sense, and cents.

Last edited by madcapmagishion; 03-28-2012 at 04:15 PM..

Old 03-28-2012, 09:24 PM

154 posts, read 643,312 times
You could look in Yulee/Fernandina Beach. Check out North Hampton Subdivision.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:41 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,236,991 times
Okay, so my husband has been offered a job near Jacksonville, Florida. He would actually be working on King's Bay Naval Base. We were thinking if living in Jacksonville or in St. Mary's, Georgia.

St. Mary's, GA would be much closer. But it's a little town compared to a full city. Very different.

I was just wondering if Jacksonville is a nice, affordable place to live.

Some parts are nice, some parts are not. It's very affordable - one of the most affordbale "big" cities in the US.

And does anyone have any ideas of specific areas that would be nice to live in?

Sure.

Riverside & Avondale historic district was named a Top 10 neighborhood in the US last year, and has had much local, national, and even international press in recent years.

www.riverside-avondale.com
Perfectly preserved - FT.com
Great Places in America: Neighborhoods
Residents already know how great Jacksonville's Riverside-Avondale area is | jacksonville.com

Springfield historic district was named the #1 up & coming neighborhood in the South a couple years ago, and has had much local, state, and national press in recent years.

www.myspringfield.org
The South's Best Neighborhoods - Southern Living
A Nod to the Past | jacksonville.com
floridatrend.com - Printer Friendly Version

San Marco is a great neighborhood, as is Ortega. Murray Hill is pretty decent too.

www.mysanmarco.com
www.smpsjax.com
http://murrayhillneighbors.com/wp/

These are all older, unqiue, eclectic neighborhoods with lots of parks, walkable/bikeable, culture, many local shops & cafes, few big box stores, artsy, creative, and generally more progressive and vibrant than most of Jax. They're all pretty close to one another too.

We are planning on starting a family soon, so we would like a nice neighborhood for kids.

Lots of kids in all these areas. Here's a local group that is all about kids & family activites:
- Home

I am not sure where the best schools are though.

There's good schools all over, especially for elementary. Duval County is a "B" district overall. As you climb in grade (middle, highschool) there are far less choices. 112 schools out of 131 schools got grades that were excellent, good or satisfactory. 19 schools got a D or F. Here's a story about it:
FCATs Released; Duval Schools Remains a 'B' District | firstcoastnews.com

We also have a dog, so nice walking trails for her are a plus. Any suggestions??

Riverside & Avondale historic district and the Springfield historic district are probably the most dog-friendly neighborhoods in the city. Tons of parks, actual sidewalks (many neighborhoods in Jax don't have sidewalks as crazy at that sounds), and dog friendly eateries/botiques. They also have dog festivals too. The Springfield historuc district has it's own dog park, R&A historic district will be getting one (hopefully) this year.

Related info:

» dog park GoLO Jacksonville
Self Sustaining Dog Park Headed To Riverside | Metro Jacksonville
Confederate Point Dog Park is pet friendly - Jacksonville pet-friendly places | Examiner.com
Riverside Arts Market celebrates National Dog Day | jacksonville.com
James Lehosit's The Dogs of Riverside and Avondale
//www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...rk-2010-a.html

Old 03-29-2012, 03:19 PM

4,790 posts, read 5,953,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia0921 View Post
Okay, so my husband has been offered a job near Jacksonville, Florida. He would actually be working on King's Bay Naval Base. We were thinking if living in Jacksonville or in St. Mary's, Georgia. I was just wondering if Jacksonville is a nice, affordable place to live. And does anyone have any ideas of specific areas that would be nice to live in? We are planning on starting a family soon, so we would like a nice neighborhood for kids. I am not sure where the best schools are though. We also have a dog, so nice walking trails for her are a plus. Any suggestions??
My two cents:

I would check out Fernandina Beach, both on Amelia Island and off. The commute from on the island is about 30 minutes each way. If he is with one of the tenant commands he will be eligible to get into the van pool program they have available.

Saint Mary's is a great little town but it lacks a lot and it continues to suffer as it seems every business tends to gravitate towards exit 3 at the interstate.
Home values have plummeted in Camden County so it is an extreme buyers market.

Schools in Camden and Fernandina Beach are rated pretty well.

I have been at KB since 1989, lived in Saint Mary's until 1999 and since then on Amelia Island. Good luck and welcome.

PS. There a few communities near the airport and close to the somewhat new River City Market Place.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:34 PM

20 posts, read 130,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia0921 View Post
Yes there are some beautiful places as long as you stay very north of Jacksonvile or very south, Jax metro, not so much. St Marys is a pretty little town, I'd advise you try to find a place around that area

Old 10-07-2012, 10:52 PM

3 posts, read 73,346 times
I feel bad for you if you have to move to jacksonville. My family and i lived there 10 years and are grateful we finally left! It is filled with backward thinking religious extremist rednecks. The food is terrible. There are gangs and thugs everywhere. The water is the tenth most toxic in the nation. The politicians are corrupt. The police kill someone almost everyday and are also corrupt. It has the highest murder rate in the state. There are no good jobs except for fast food. The traffic is terrible. The roads are the worst laid out of any city I've ever lived in. The schools are terrible. I could go on and on. My best advice is if your thinking about moving there, DON'T!!! You will regret it therest of your life.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:47 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,327,528 times
@jacksonvilleisadump... This is funny because we've lived in Florida for six years, Vero Beach specifically though we've traveled throughout the state, and we have two fond memories, the Keys and the many times we visited Jacksonville. As a matter of fact, if we're ever tempted to snowbird, Ponte Vedra will be the place.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:11 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,475,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonvilleisadump View Post
I feel bad for you if you have to move to jacksonville. My family and i lived there 10 years and are grateful we finally left! It is filled with backward thinking religious extremist rednecks. The food is terrible. There are gangs and thugs everywhere. The water is the tenth most toxic in the nation. The politicians are corrupt. The police kill someone almost everyday and are also corrupt. It has the highest murder rate in the state. There are no good jobs except for fast food. The traffic is terrible. The roads are the worst laid out of any city I've ever lived in. The schools are terrible. I could go on and on. My best advice is if your thinking about moving there, DON'T!!! You will regret it therest of your life.
so you signed up today of all days to bump a 7 month thread?

Old 10-08-2012, 09:00 AM

838 posts, read 1,868,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
so you signed up today of all days to bump a 7 month thread?

He/she must be crazynip under a new name
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville