Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 08:36 AM

10 posts, read 11,607 times

Advertisements

I’ll use my app (the biz I want to incorporate) for a more detailed search. You can try it too, if you’re curious, it’ll save you a ton of time and money (and yes, it’s free). (I believe that) it has a glorious name – DiCheetal (it reads similar to digital) – and an outstanding slogan, “DiCheetal – The Fastest Cloud Animal” [TM]

dicheetal.com

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 04:32 PM

39 posts, read 58,365 times
So you wouldn't sign a lease but would move in with a total stranger? I have nothing more to add except if you move to Clay County (Green Cove Springs) be aware of the long commute to everywhere.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:04 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,278,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2012 View Post
(it’s the 5th best state in that Index, but it also has what I’m looking for: palm trees and ocean).

In order to incorporate I need a Florida address and, most probably, driver license. So, at least in the beginning, what I’m looking for is to rent a room in a good/decent location.
If you're moving for palm trees and oceans, move to the Beach.

However, anywhere that rents a room is probably going to be pretty crappy. Fyi.

Instead, look for a small studio or garage apartment. These can be found all over Jax for very reasonable prices, $450-$600/mo is very doable. Plus utilities, cable, etc.

Like this one: Traditions Realty - Property Details for MLS# 573353

Or this one: Traditions Realty - Property Details for MLS# 594240

Or this one: Traditions Realty - Property Details for MLS# 618920

Or, you could go a little higher an get an all-inclusive small apartment. Like this one: Traditions Realty - Property Details for MLS# 602184

These neighborhoods, which are the historic, walkable/bikelable and creative neighborhoods that surrond Downtown Jax, don't have an ocean breeze.....but they do have a nice River breeze. And some palms trees.

All are in decent & central locations.

But no ocean (about 30 minutes away).

Old 04-20-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving_to_5pts View Post
So you wouldn't sign a lease but would move in with a total stranger? I have nothing more to add except if you move to Clay County (Green Cove Springs) be aware of the long commute to everywhere.
You have to understand that I won’t relocate to Jax because I got a job there, or, for whatever reason, I HAVE to be there. All I need is a Florida address and, as I drive south from Cleveland, Jax happens to be the first (possible) good choice. If I rent a room and a few days later I decide that I’d rather try Orlando or Miami (or any other city in FL) I’ll just hit the gas. What do I have to lose? – one month rent is no biggie. But if I get stuck in a (blindly signed) lease contract then the gas might be too expensive when I want to floor the pedal …

Old 04-20-2012, 08:04 AM

Thanks for the links, but all of them require “1 year lease” ...

Old 04-20-2012, 10:36 AM

1,071 posts, read 2,896,725 times
Dan: I disagree with the comment that said anywhere that rents a room is probably pretty crappy. I rented a room in St. Augustine, in a liveable 3 bedroom house, safe neighborhood, for 10 months while my house was being built. 2 other females rented rooms there and we all could share a bathroom, the kitchen/ family room and washer / dryer. There was no cable tv, telephone or internet service. My room had a strong door and deadbolt keyed lock. My choice was to rekey the lock on my door, bring in a small refrigerator and microwave and share only the bathroom & laundry area which I helped keep clean. I paid $100 a week. I never had a problem there. I found the room from a newspaper ad.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:49 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssclulow View Post
Dan: I disagree with the comment that said anywhere that rents a room is probably pretty crappy. I rented a room in St. Augustine, in a liveable 3 bedroom house, safe neighborhood, for 10 months while my house was being built. 2 other females rented rooms there and we all could share a bathroom, the kitchen/ family room and washer / dryer. There was no cable tv, telephone or internet service. My room had a strong door and deadbolt keyed lock. My choice was to rekey the lock on my door, bring in a small refrigerator and microwave and share only the bathroom & laundry area which I helped keep clean. I paid $100 a week. I never had a problem there. I found the room from a newspaper ad.
Did you rent the room blindly or just get lucky and find a nice place?
My point being if you (and I am sure you did) checked the place out before you rented, is what matters the most. You did your due diligence and were rewarded with a pleasant outcome. " DO YOUR DUE DILIGENCE" and be comfortable with the results.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:33 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,896,725 times
Yes, I did my due diligence. My point was that not all homes that rent out a room are crappy. Quite a few people I know are renting out rooms in their homes to make ends meet. They of course are doing their due diligence also. I have never rented a place to live (except extended stay hotel room or condo) without first seeing it myself or sending someone I trust to go see. I also drove by the location on a Satruday night after 10pm and asked the local police about incidents of crime in the immediate area. In the rent a room situation, I also briefly met my prospective housemates. The landlord ran a criminal background check on me and had me sign a document giving my permission to share the contents with those I would be living. He shared their reports with me prior to me signing the rental agreement. I paid 2 weeks rent upfront security and $25 for the background check. Since the economic downturn, I have seen numerous homes in St. Augustine whose owners rent out their MBR suite on a monthly basis. Most don't share the remainder of the home and provide a seperate entrance through a locking patio door. They are getting $600 + a month if in a nice neighborhood.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:40 AM

I agree that, from about 900 miles away, is no cup of tea to "DO YOUR DUE DILIGENCE." On the other hand, due to the mess the economy is in, I'm sure there are some decent deals out there that, in prosperous times, wouldn't be available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville