Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2012, 10:13 AM

237 posts, read 496,581 times

Advertisements

I am interested in building a stick built shed (400 sq ft). The permit department said I need to show complete plans showing my design calculations.

I am hoping someone here is build a shed and might have some insight.

In order to determine Spans, I needed to have a live load, dead load and deflection (and of course wood spies). From the building codes I think my deflection can be l/180, but I am not 100% sure on the Live and Dead Load for the roof and the floor. I understand the concept of live and dead load and I guess I could figure out what shingles and etc weight to calculate the dead load. But I wanted to just see what others used.

There are special provisions for high wind areas, but Jacksonville does not fall into that category.

I saw in the codes an uninhabited attic without storage could use a live load of 10 psf. So I was thinking 10 to 20 PSF live load and 10 psf dead load.

Also not sure about shed flooring live and dead loads.

Gosh it is taking me time to design this thing than it will take me to build it.

Any suggestions appreciated.

I guess I should add some more info. I am over the size limit for just a site plan. For that you do not need and inspections. And I have gone to Zoning to make sure I meet the setbacks, height and allowed shed land space usuage.

I almost forgot. The shed will be on skids (free floating), so I must anchor it. Any knowlege on anchor requirement are appreciated.

Last edited by rwbil; 05-06-2012 at 10:33 AM.. Reason: More Information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 11:18 AM

5,130 posts, read 6,123,485 times
We built an out building ourselves except for having the pad poured. We are a block from the beach and had wind requrements to meet. We bought plans online that were very close to what we wanted to turn in to the building department ($100 for the plans). We also used a company that built the trusses rather than doing it myself, they provided the paperwork (wind & load) the city wanted. The city did just about everything they could to discourage me but we pushed ahead and jumped through their hoops. After several of our inspections (we built a finished studio building) they realized we knew what we were doing (hurricane clips, tiedowns etc.) they were pretty easy to work with.

Sheds are a funny thing, some people just put them up with no paperwork and do just fine, others get caught by the inspectors and catch he$$.

If they are going to inspect you then your going to have to go by the book. For the size you are planning on I would pour a pad and have the trusses made for you. The final price for the flooring and wood to cover that size span along with supporting and anchoring the floor you would be better off with a pad to build on. They do have already built sheds on skids that can be delivered. Good luck.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:15 PM

237 posts, read 496,581 times
If they want to encourage people to pull permits, they should make it a bit simpler and work with you. I built an addition to my home 20 years ago in MD and do not remember having to provide this much detail.

I was not planning on using Roof Trusses. I do not have a ceiling, so I was just planning on stick building simple Gable Rafters with a Collar Tie.

If they do not approve my rafters, I might have to go the truss route. Where did you buy your Trusses and plans?

Thanks in advance,
Robert

Old 05-06-2012, 12:27 PM

5,130 posts, read 6,123,485 times
We used a company on the net called Just Sheds. For the trusses we used a company in Kingsland, Georgia. We could have done them ourselves but for the price even with delivery and the paperwork provided made more sense. There should be someone in Jax for trusses.

Code enforcement is crazy here, they are constantly patroling. Good Luck

Just Sheds Inc.* Choose from over 100 SHED PLANS.

Builders FirstSource (http://www.bldr.com/builder.php?source=location_city&state=FL&city=jac ksonville&type=WP - broken link)

Old 11-12-2021, 12:12 PM

2 posts, read 6,582 times
Default DIY sheds here are...

Let me start by saying everyone was super nice at the city office. I explained it was my first time and was doing this off personal research. Everyone double checked my forms and submissions and **assured me I was following all procedures** ...that was 4 months ago and I was unable to follow-up as I had expected due to my work schedule. To be clear, I failed to submit the forms properly in the following ways:

1. I didn't use 11x17 paper size
2. My engineering stamp for the plans was from the shed kit company and that was not on the approved list
3. I asked if they needed the foundation described and was told no. "Just list the foundation type" so I said "cement". This was incorrect. Foundations must be described.

I'm obviously learning each step in this process as painfully as i can.

Seriously, best recommendation for Duval, just go tuffshed/or another shed dealer in Jacksonville proper - they have it all basically preapproved and ready. It would have been faster to wait for their 90 day delay on construction and they do the permitting for the included price. By the time this is done i will have an inferior building that will have taken me at least 2x as long as their timeline and i will have spent more money on it than their quote to me.

I would like to post this so a future someone might learn what exactly is required. Here is the list as emailed to me by the city. I am on month 4 of trying to get a permit approved for a 12x16 shed. I'm also well past contractor #4 which is why I tried to file it myself anyway. No one has worked honestly with me on this project so far.

I was told to resubmit with the following:

1. Two (2) sets of Signed and Sealed FLORIDA ENGINEER Structural drawings required. (FBC 107.2)

2. Drawings must be signed and sealed, w/ original ink signature, by the Florida Engineer or Architect of Record. (FBC 107.2)

3. Indicate drawings conform to 2020 Florida Building Codes. (FBC 107.2)

4. Indicate Ultimate Design Wind Speed. (FBC-Residential R301.2.1)

5. Indicate Components and cladding pressures (psf). (FBC-Residential Fig R301.2(7))

6. Engineered Ground Anchor Details required. (FBC 107.2)

7. Architectural Exterior Elevations drawn to scale all sides showing door and window locations and dimension of overall building height to top of roof. (FBC 107.2)

8. Architectural Floor Plan required drawn to scale with building dimensions, door and window sizes and location. (FBC 107.2)

9. FLORIDA PRODUCT APPROVAL FORM REQUIRED: Doors, Windows, Siding & Roofing (as applicable). Valid Florida Product Approval Numbers look like FL1234.5 with a decimal place at the end. Valid Florida Product Approval Numbers do not contain the letter "R". Provide current expiration dates on the form for each number. (FL ss 553.842).

10. “The Drawings shall be prepared in conformity with established principles of architectural and engineering documents in accordance to industry standards. They shall be legible and drawn to scale. The minimum sheet size shall be 11” x 17”with min. 1/8" high lettering..” (Bulletin G-35-00 Rev. 09/09)

So, there it is. You asked what was needed? that is what is needed. You have to basically contract an engineering firm to design it for you or be really tenacious with resubmittals. I will be doing a bit of both.

And if someone from the City reads this, I am not trying to demonize anyone. Just trying to shed some light on this process so that someone else doesn't find themselves in my shoes in the future.
Very Respectfully,
-NielsB

Last edited by NielsB; 11-12-2021 at 01:10 PM..

Old 11-12-2021, 01:06 PM

2 posts, read 6,582 times
Update: today I made serious progress. Assuming everyone does as they promised, I will have verified sealed engineering drawings to submit for the permit and might be able to get this all wrapped up in the next two months.

I had to email the shed kit instructions to the engineering firm along with my property survey.
I contacted a general contractor that normally does home construction who will give me a bid on the project to include: shed kit construction, foundation pour and materials, and electrical.

I am hopeful that this time the permit will be done correctly and the work can be completed in a reasonable timeline.

Old 11-12-2021, 01:44 PM

46 posts, read 59,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwbil View Post
If they want to encourage people to pull permits, they should make it a bit simpler and work with you. I built an addition to my home 20 years ago in MD and do not remember having to provide this much detail.
Building codes were way different 20 years ago and FL has hurricanes. Insurance companies put pressure on building codes writers and building departments to enforce them. When you go to sell your house these days and the survey shows you added something from the last sale the title company will ask to see a copy of the permit and a copy of the CO. If you don't have it they may tell you to remove it as the insurance company will not cover it. I've had this happen, but I was permitted and all was good. Like they say, follow the money....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville