Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 07:47 PM

24 posts, read 76,396 times

Advertisements

Just accepted an offer on our home so we are Jville bound - soon! Closing by the end of July. We nned a place to live!

Want to know what are the best neighborhoods in SJC - I know each has their favorite, but am looking for those that are known as nice areas in the $300,000 range.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 09:27 PM

615 posts, read 1,713,854 times
Have you ruled out Nocatee? We're closing on our house in a few weeks, and after looking all over St J County in that price range, I'm confident we made the right decision. We visited the waterpark the other day, and it is amazing, and as far as schools go, they're some of the best.

I guess people could complain that it's a little far out, but compared to some of the n'hoods on 210, I think it's easier to hop in Hwy 1 and get to the mall, Target, Walmart etc than taking I 95.

Congrats on selling your house...and good luck w. the move!

Old 07-01-2010, 02:22 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,471,642 times
If you can live anywhere in St. John's County - I'll assume for now you don't need to commute to Jacksonville - I'd suggest living in St. Augustine, specifically, on Anastasia Island out at the beach.

With real estate being what it is, you can actually buy a very nice home on Anastasia in the $300k range. In years prior, those same houses would have been well over the $500k mark. On Anastasia, zip 32080, you'll be able to enjoy beach life and historic downtown St. Augustine. You'll be near restaurants, shopping, etc. It's an area that's been built out for a long time, plenty of retirees give it stability, and it became popular with families in the last 10 years as well.

If you actually have to commute to Jacksonville daily, then forget everything I just said . I wouldn't recommend living in St. John's County at all if you'll be working in Jax. Instead, I'd recommend living in Jacksonville and taking weekend trips to downtown St. Augustine instead. Jacksonville/Duval county is enormous and there are endless options on where to live - the beach, the river, new construction, historic neighborhoods - whatever style you like. I lived in St. Augustine (in St. John's county) for 3 years prior to moving to Jacksonville so I've experienced both and dealt with the commute into Jax.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:28 PM

414 posts, read 1,863,450 times
I live in a small subdivision in St. Johns near Julington Creek Plantation. PM me if you'd like to chat more about it!

Old 07-06-2010, 11:25 AM

24 posts, read 76,396 times
Visited St John's County this weekend and looked at some homes. I drove through Nocatee and love the area, but it is SO remote...I don't think it is the place for us. Home prices are high and we need a backyard pool.

I looked in the 210 area and like SJGCC, South Hampton, and St John's Forest. Stonehurst Plantation or Glen St John's may work too. I guess we are looking for too much for too little because I just can't find the right home.

*sigh* this is SO hard!

I am not sure were I will be working, but likely in J'ville. Duval is not on our list of places to live though - schools are much better in SJC.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:12 AM

154 posts, read 646,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjill70 View Post
I guess we are looking for too much for too little because I just can't find the right home.
You are probably not going to find exactly what you want but just think if you moved here 4-5 yrs ago you still would have not found exactly what you wanted and you would have paid $100k+ more for it.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:03 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,283,675 times
One suggestion would be to get different realtors opinions. We movved not too long ago and foudn that realtors dont know about every jacksonville neighborhood but they only know certain areas that they 'specialize' in just a suggestion!!

Old 07-07-2010, 05:10 PM

870 posts, read 2,181,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjill70 View Post

I am not sure were I will be working, but likely in J'ville. Duval is not on our list of places to live though - schools are much better in SJC.
You don't even live here, so you have no idea about the schools.
I am getting so tired of people bashing DCPS.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:33 AM

250 posts, read 706,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagFan27 View Post
You don't even live here, so you have no idea about the schools.
I am getting so tired of people bashing DCPS.
cosign about that one. and this is from a former teacher who's been to both counties.
i was going to make a joke about st johns county, but the mood is just gone now

Old 07-08-2010, 09:48 AM

118 posts, read 408,896 times
I lived in Duval County and know about the schools very well as I had children attend elementary, middle and high school there. Also, had child attend middle and high school in SJC and there was a big difference. There are some that are ok in Duval, but SJC has higher rated schools and seems to offer a better more challenging curriculum. There are some exceptions to this, but you have to consider those on an individual level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville