Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 04:24 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,461,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon4426 View Post
Ok, you've just lost credibility with me....
Oh well, life sux then you die! I may just cry myself to sleep tonight.
Quote:
you don't think St. Johns county schools are excellent?!?.
No! As that's a rather all inclusive statement and not "all" St Johns County schools are excellent. That's like saying because of Paxton, DA, and Stanton "all" Duval county schools are excellent also, it just ain't so.
Quote:
Plus it's "they're" not "their." That hurts the credibility a little too.
Thank you Mr. Grammar NAZI ... iPhone auto spell correctors suck!
BTW ... If you want to get technical, it's Plantation not Planation.

Last edited by madcapmagishion; 05-14-2012 at 04:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 04:45 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,379,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiyahwerks View Post
It would be the gravy on the mashed potatoes if I could land a job before I relocate. But I believe I am running into the same walls as others who have tried (i.e. not local, address, etc.) I'm constantly scanning the State of Florida job site for government positions and will be reviewing the City of Jacksonville tonight.

I'm trying to get my foot into health information technology, so I am applying to local hospitals, public health facilities and federal VA hospitals. Here, my drive is 30-45 minutes, so that would be the ideal commute time.

Unfortunately, I own my house in Detroit. I will be either giving to my parents or to a friend for safekeeping. Selling a house in Detroit is a joke. So my budget for renting an apartment would be $700-900 for a 2/3 BD. Close to an school and/or daycare would be ideal. We enjoy the usual family stuff: parks, lakes, picnics, backyard bbqs, etc.

Because my fiance and I work in the hospitality field too, close to hotels, bars and restaurants would be an okay idea. We use to be big clubbers, but now we have the girls, we just want to grow old together and raise our family.

If I can't land a salaried job, I have no qualms working in the hospitality industry until I can find something that is around the salary I'm losing in Detroit (33K+).

We are scheduling a trip to Jacksonville in mid-July, just to scout around the area.
This is a bad time to be looking for a government job. Governments everywhere are cutting back. When it comes to government jobs - don't forget to look at UF Shands in Gainesville.

OTOH - there are a lot of private hospitals here - including the Mayo Clinic. Those that are hiring and looking for people with specific skills would probably be more flexible when it comes to hiring people from out of town. Although you might have to take a couple of trips here for interviews. These places are scattered all over the metro area (and the metro area here is very large). I wouldn't think of talking about specific places to live until I knew where I'd be working.

Unless you have some special expertise in the hospitality industry and can do stuff at a management level - I doubt you'll be able to earn $30k+/year.

Also - and I am sure at least someone here will take this the wrong way (don't care - I think it's good advice for you). Get married before you apply for jobs. Makes you look more stable when your put a circle around the "M" - especially with the 2 kids. This is a pretty conservative/religious area. Robyn

Old 05-14-2012, 04:46 PM

285 posts, read 603,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
Thank you Mr. Grammar NAZI ... iPhone auto spell correctors suck!
BTW ... If you want to get technical, it's Plantation not Planation.
Touché. Ok, At least for the sake of this poor guy who wants to move his family to a better life, will you agree that the schools in "NW" St. Johns county are "almost" all excellent? Either way it sounds like its better than what's going on in Detroit.

OP, at least you can know that our schools are SO good we argue over which ones are better

Old 05-14-2012, 05:00 PM

104 posts, read 339,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
This is a bad time to be looking for a government job. Governments everywhere are cutting back. When it comes to government jobs - don't forget to look at UF Shands in Gainesville.
That is a fact.

I work for the City Jacksonville and we're 5 years into a hiring freeze for other than certain critical positions. First, even if you were to get lucky and score a position, almost nobody they hire now is civil service which means you can easily be let go. Second, no raises in several years plus a pay cut two years ago. Third, the budget for the next couple of years is looking even worse which means more cuts and layoffs.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon4426 View Post
Touché. Ok, At least for the sake of this poor guy who wants to move his family to a better life, will you agree that the schools in "NW" St. Johns county are "almost" all excellent? Either way it sounds like its better than what's going on in Detroit.

OP, at least you can know that our schools are SO good we argue over which ones are better
Just about anywhere is better than Detroit. I'm just trying to understand what it is about my sayin that the St Johns county schools are ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion
Excellent, No!
Very good, Yes!
upsets you so. But then I don't think that Paxton or Stanton (which scored higher) are excellent either, but they are very, very good!

Old 05-14-2012, 10:29 PM

3 posts, read 4,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmfphaedrus View Post
That is a fact.

I work for the City Jacksonville and we're 5 years into a hiring freeze for other than certain critical positions. First, even if you were to get lucky and score a position, almost nobody they hire now is civil service which means you can easily be let go. Second, no raises in several years plus a pay cut two years ago. Third, the budget for the next couple of years is looking even worse which means more cuts and layoffs.
Sounds just like Detroit. First it was freezes, no raises and promotions. Now mass layoffs and retirements. We took pay cuts, increases to benefits, etc.

Sad, but most of my 20's have been working in government (i.e. Public Health).

Thanks Robyn for the info. My mom said the same thing about marriage and employment. I will definitely look into what the Mayo Clinics are looking for.

All the opinions and debating has given me a wealth of information though, I appreciate it.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:32 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,238,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
IMO ... The Riverside area would be almost perfect, as the rents there are in line with what you listed I know of a nice 2/2, for $595 on the corner of Osceola St and Myra St that's very convenient to many bars, restaurants, clubs and hospitals in the area. And it's also very close to the downtown area where most city government jobs are located.
That particular 2/2 wouldn't be good for a family. I'm very familiar with it - they're pretty small with a extremely tiny bathroom. No dishwasher either. I couldn't see having 2 kids in those.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:46 AM

285 posts, read 603,699 times
I believe you can rent in JCP in that price range. At least a town home, and possibly a smaller single family home.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:09 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,238,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiyahwerks View Post
It would be the gravy on the mashed potatoes if I could land a job before I relocate. But I believe I am running into the same walls as others who have tried (i.e. not local, address, etc.) I'm constantly scanning the State of Florida job site for government positions and will be reviewing the City of Jacksonville tonight.

I'm trying to get my foot into health information technology, so I am applying to local hospitals, public health facilities and federal VA hospitals. Here, my drive is 30-45 minutes, so that would be the ideal commute time.

Unfortunately, I own my house in Detroit. I will be either giving to my parents or to a friend for safekeeping. Selling a house in Detroit is a joke. So my budget for renting an apartment would be $700-900 for a 2/3 BD. Close to an school and/or daycare would be ideal. We enjoy the usual family stuff: parks, lakes, picnics, backyard bbqs, etc.

Because my fiance and I work in the hospitality field too, close to hotels, bars and restaurants would be an okay idea. We use to be big clubbers, but now we have the girls, we just want to grow old together and raise our family.

If I can't land a salaried job, I have no qualms working in the hospitality industry until I can find something that is around the salary I'm losing in Detroit (33K+).

We are scheduling a trip to Jacksonville in mid-July, just to scout around the area.
To get the most for your money, close to parks and lots of other families, and centrally located in the city, try theese three neighborhoods: Riverside, Springfield historic district, and Murray Hill. They're all pretty diverse areas with super nice homes-to-crappy homes (all are transitional neighborhoods), but have a good QOL. Serious crime is not common, but you do have to have common sense. Riverside is most finished/developed of these, but is also the most expensive. Riverside & Springfield historic district are seen as very creative, eclectic neighborhoods that border Downtown. They're also very walkable/bikeable. Murray Hill is seen as a bit more suburban, a little farther away.

Murray Hill: http://murrayhillneighbors.com/wp/

MURRAY HILL

Traditions Realty - Property Details for MLS# 620786

Large Murray Hill 2/1 W/D connections, CHA and wood floors!

Riverside: www.riverside-avondale.com

TraditionsJax.com » Residential Rentals

AH-Mazing Completely Renovated Apartment w/new everything! Very Clean!

Updated Riverside 2 Bedroom

RIVERSIDE 1ST FLOOR APARTMENT FOR RENT

RIVERSIDE 1st FLOOR DUPLEX

Springfield historic district: www.myspringfield.org

Settle In Before the Summer Ends!

Apartment in Jacksonville

Very large 2/2 with hardwood floors

Two Bedroom Apartment Home for Rent in Historic Springfield!

1332 Laura St-Great Springfield Four-Plex for Rent!

I couldn't find information on a similar group in the other neighborhoods, but SPR has this Mommies Group too: - Home

Old 05-15-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
That particular 2/2 wouldn't be good for a family. I'm very familiar with it - they're pretty small with a extremely tiny bathroom. No dishwasher either. I couldn't see having 2 kids in those.
OK! I'll take your word for it, as you are the Urban Area Guru. I came across it the other day when I was doing my drive around checking out some streets you had mentioned, and thought it looked like a fairly decent area. But you can't really beat the price ($595 a month) for a 2 bedroom apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville