Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 08:07 AM

278 posts, read 665,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Depends how many pine nuts you use. I use at least 2-3 pounds in the summer to make fresh pesto (I grow basil). I'd rather pay $10/pound than $30/pound.
We use them all the time - they're used quite a bit in Arabic food, and my wife is from Italy and grew up literally picking them off the ground and eating them. I didn't believe her until I went over there myself and the forest floor was littered with them, still in their hulls. I think my dad and I spent more time picking up and eating pignoli than we did in the Sistene Chapel.

The Italian pine nuts are much bigger than the Chinese ones (and have a better flavor, I think) but they're definitely pricey. I've seen them for $18 for a small half pound bag, when I can find them. I like the middle eastern ones for their flavor, though they can be expensive too.

I guess pine nuts are like everything else, you weigh the quality versus the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 09:38 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bativac View Post

I guess pine nuts are like everything else, you weigh the quality versus the price.
Or you could just use walnuts in your pesto.

I've even used locally-grown pecans.

And then you don't have to worry about pine nut mouth.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:33 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
This will be my 6th growing season here on Amelia Island.
I grow tomatoes every year, and every year it has been different, but never a complete bust. I've been learning what does and doesn't work and acting accordingly. Then the climate will throw a curve ball as it did this year with the warmer winter.

I agree that herbs do very well here, especially rosemary and basil, and I can't imagine buying them at a farmer's market when all they need is halfway decent soil.

I also agree that growing organic is a PITA here, especially compared to Colorado--but I try to do it anyway. My Meyer lemons seem to get by fine with no special treatment <knock on wood>

Fernandina's Farmer's Market is very small, probably not worth making a special drive from Jax, but every Saturday these growers are there, and they have wonderful greens, herbs and flowers. Cabbage is organic, Bacon's is hydroponic. Both are good.

Cabbage Creek Farm

Bacon's Select Produce

I think Bacon's also carries produce at Riverside.
Well - I guess I personally grow "organic". No pesticides. An infestation of tiny snails on all herbs except rosemary this year. Good thing that when you turn basil into pesto - you don't see how crummy the leaves look . I tried the "beer treatment" but it didn't work at all.

I used to have a Meyer lemon tree - but one year it froze below the graft. End of Meyer lemon tree. Cheaper to buy Meyer lemons than Meyer lemon trees.

I think most of the folks you see at certain farmers' markets places are actually at all of them on various days/times. Some of the people who are at RAM on Saturday morning wind up at Neptune Beach on Saturday afternoon.

One of my more unusual herbs is sorrel. Which cooks up into a really nice sauce. It is kind of hard to find. But is now available at Plant Ranch Nursery (where I first bought mine - but it hasn't been available for a couple of years). It does best in cool weather - but doesn't die in the summer - just looks like garbage.

I just planted a barrel full of milkweed today. I love being part of the Monarch butterfly cycle (and I find it totally amazing how a butterfly can find the only thing it eats in a barrel in my backyard - without any Mapquest directions ). Robyn

Old 05-19-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bativac View Post
We use them all the time - they're used quite a bit in Arabic food, and my wife is from Italy and grew up literally picking them off the ground and eating them. I didn't believe her until I went over there myself and the forest floor was littered with them, still in their hulls. I think my dad and I spent more time picking up and eating pignoli than we did in the Sistene Chapel.

The Italian pine nuts are much bigger than the Chinese ones (and have a better flavor, I think) but they're definitely pricey. I've seen them for $18 for a small half pound bag, when I can find them. I like the middle eastern ones for their flavor, though they can be expensive too.

Also depends how you're using an ingredient. If you're making pesto - and it's a bunch of pine nuts - and a bunch of basil - and a lot of cheese (olive oil as well) - well that's one thing. If you were just eating pine nuts as a separate ingredient - that would be another thing.

If your wife is from Italy - at least from pesto country in Italy - I would suggest the pine nuts from Costco - the cheese from Costo as well (both regular aged P/R and super aged P/R) - and growing your basic Italian basil in the yard (the plants at Publix are fine - although I found better at one of the spring "pop-up" plant places on Beach Blvd. this month). IMO - it's better to eat something that's a 95% rating all the time than something that's a 100% only once in a while. Robyn

Old 05-19-2012, 05:03 PM

237 posts, read 496,996 times
I went to RAM Today to check out the Farmer's. There were actual farmers there but not much organic and not a whole lot of variety, at least in my opinon. I did buy some honey though from an actual beekeeper. I got to hear his bee stinging story. So I helped out my local beekeeper. The had lots of varities of honey.

I asked one Farmer, why no Organic Food and he said, "I do not know how anybody grown Organic here".

I think I am giving up on finding locally grown Organic Food. I did buy a Basil Plant, now the challenge is keeping it alive.

I am not a member of Cosco, but went to BJ, but they did not have or where out of Pine Nuts. I guess no Pesto for me.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwbil View Post
I asked one Farmer, why no Organic Food and he said, "I do not know how anybody grown Organic here".

I think I am giving up on finding locally grown Organic Food. I did buy a Basil Plant, now the challenge is keeping it alive.

I am not a member of Cosco, but went to BJ, but they did not have or where out of Pine Nuts. I guess no Pesto for me.
Don't give up on organic. If I can get organic in little Fernandina Beach, surely someone in Jax can. As Robyn says, the vendors get around.
You do not *have* to use pine nuts for pesto. Use what's easily obtainable. I use walnuts or pecans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Well - I guess I personally grow "organic". No pesticides. An infestation of tiny snails on all herbs except rosemary this year. Good thing that when you turn basil into pesto - you don't see how crummy the leaves look . I tried the "beer treatment" but it didn't work at all.

I used to have a Meyer lemon tree - but one year it froze below the graft. End of Meyer lemon tree. Cheaper to buy Meyer lemons than Meyer lemon trees.

I think most of the folks you see at certain farmers' markets places are actually at all of them on various days/times. Some of the people who are at RAM on Saturday morning wind up at Neptune Beach on Saturday afternoon.

One of my more unusual herbs is sorrel. Which cooks up into a really nice sauce. It is kind of hard to find. But is now available at Plant Ranch Nursery (where I first bought mine - but it hasn't been available for a couple of years). It does best in cool weather - but doesn't die in the summer - just looks like garbage.

I just planted a barrel full of milkweed today. I love being part of the Monarch butterfly cycle (and I find it totally amazing how a butterfly can find the only thing it eats in a barrel in my backyard - without any Mapquest directions ). Robyn
It sounds like we are on the same gardening wavelength. These days I want to grow stuff that does not need coddling.

The only truly unusual herb I ever grew was cat thyme. It proved to be irresistible not only to my cat, but ever other feline in the neighborhood, and sadly they loved it to death. I am still trying to replace it but can only find it in some nursery in California--not ready to make that kind of investment.

Love the butterflies! I let one of my huge parsley plants go to seed and now it is covered with caterpillars which will later be swallowtail butterflies.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:55 AM

178 posts, read 328,698 times
Just sold our home in Clay County where we had flower gardens, vegetable gardens, and now we're renting a condo with a balcony. I miss my gardens, but have to keep remembering how much I grew to dislike the longer and more intense summer heat. I will be growing herbs and flowers on the small balcony and that will have to be enough for awhile. I'd like to find a community garden in or near Riverside in the future. We have found some nice veggies at RAM that are grown without chemicals. That alone doesn't qualify as organic, but it's all I require - no chemicals.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxLiving View Post
That alone doesn't qualify as organic, but it's all I require - no chemicals.
Yes. I don't think either of the farms I linked to (one is hydroponic) are *certified* organic, but they don't use chemicals or synthetic fertilizers.

That's pretty much how I operate in my own backyard.

I hope you will find a community garden--or perhaps you might even be able to start one yourself.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwbil View Post
I went to RAM Today to check out the Farmer's. There were actual farmers there but not much organic and not a whole lot of variety, at least in my opinon. I did buy some honey though from an actual beekeeper. I got to hear his bee stinging story. So I helped out my local beekeeper. The had lots of varities of honey.

I am not a member of Cosco, but went to BJ, but they did not have or were out of Pine Nuts. I guess no Pesto for me.
Wasn't Twinn Bridges there? It is one of the largest local organic producers. It is almost always at Neptune Beach Saturday afternoon. Note that we are starting to get into our "non-growing" season (too hot to grow things). Like I said elsewhere - places like County Line Produce close about now - and don't reopen until about October or so.

Basil is easy to grow. Just make sure it gets some sun - some fertilizer - a fair amount of water - and cut the flower heads off when they appear. Hose off the leaves well if it's attacked by pests.

Take a look at Costco (they'll let you walk around for a "look-see" without becoming a member). Figure out whether a membership might make sense for you. Robyn

Old 05-20-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
...You do not *have* to use pine nuts for pesto. Use what's easily obtainable. I use walnuts or pecans...

...Love the butterflies! I let one of my huge parsley plants go to seed and now it is covered with caterpillars which will later be swallowtail butterflies.
You don't make real Italian pesto with walnuts or pecans (although I reckon a pesto like that could be tasty).

I have a hummingbird/butterfly garden. Some things are perennials (just need pruning back in the spring). Some are annuals (at least annuals here - like porterweed). The parsley is actually a larval plant - food for the caterpillars. To be planted in conjunction with the flowering plants that feed/attract the adult butterflies. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville