Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 12:05 PM

145 posts, read 237,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMikey View Post
I would love a Red Robin Royale. Really miss those from STL.
I am definitely NOT a fan of red robin... there really aren't many chains that I am a fan of. I love local eateries so much more, it just seems like you can taste the "love" in their food vs. chains where everything tastes mediocre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 12:27 PM

219 posts, read 510,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdweaze View Post
I am definitely NOT a fan of red robin... there really aren't many chains that I am a fan of. I love local eateries so much more, it just seems like you can taste the "love" in their food vs. chains where everything tastes mediocre.
Fair enough. I need someone to point me at a bada55 burger place down here though as I've yet to see one. We had our share of local burger joints in STL as well... there were a couple that could best Red Robin (eg 'The Tavern' in Kirkwood), but not many.

Personally, I don't really give a crap about the amount of 'love' the put in if the burger is slammin!

Old 05-29-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Fair enough. I need someone to point me at a bada55 burger place down here though as I've yet to see one. We had our share of local burger joints in STL as well... there were a couple that could best Red Robin (eg 'The Tavern' in Kirkwood), but not many.

Personally, I don't really give a crap about the amount of 'love' the put in if the burger is slammin!

LMAO well if a burget is "slammin" then they must have put a lot of loooove into it! Goes hand in hand imo ;-) When you figure out the best burget joint, let me know so I can add it to my list!

Old 05-29-2012, 02:49 PM

336 posts, read 450,151 times
Quote:
I'm planning my first of several visits for late July or sometime in August. Where should I stay? Must be somewhere on the beaches. I want to get a good sense of what life is like out there. Is that a good time to go? I want to make sure I go at different times of the year so I get a good sense of what the weather is like. However humid it may be, it's got to be better than Memphis!
During the August time period....

Go see the Jacksonville Suns play downtown at the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville. 15 different August home games to select from.

Team Schedule | Jacksonville Suns Schedule

Visit the Riverside Arts market, open each Saturday from 10:00am-4:00pm. Located under the Fuller Warren Bridge.

Riverside Arts Market | Jacksonville's Premiere Outdoor Arts & Entertainment Venue

Check out a Jacksonville Jaguars pre season game. August 10 vs the World Champion NY Giants, or August 30 vs the Atlanta Falcons

Jacksonville Jaguars Gameday Schedule on jaguars.com

Definitely visit St. Augustine

CoSA: City of St. Augustine, Florida

Spend a day doing some deep sea fishing

Deep Sea Fishing in Jacksonville, Florida | Travel Tips - USAToday.com

Golf, Golf, Golf

Jacksonville, Florida Golf Courses

Old 05-29-2012, 02:54 PM

Oooh... deep sea fishing sounds fun... I am coming with my kids over Christmas too... is there anything in particular that is season specific? I plan on visiting during each season, to get a good over view of what it will be like living there!

Old 05-29-2012, 03:31 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,765 times
I don't know about you but I don't want any, "love," in my food!

But, seriously, I do like local places when there's a good one. However, I have no problem with a chain at times. For instance, we do like us some Outback Steakhouse (or Alehouse or a few others). Always good food and you always know what you're gonna get (as far as quality). So, when visiting elsewhere--when there are no suggestions on places to eat--we will eat at a chain like an Outback or something else because we KNOW we'll get a meal we'll enjoy.

Obviously, you can (typically) get a better meal from local places. Problem is, many of them, well, suck depending on where you are. I enjoy my food and I HATE it when I am hungry and go into a place and the food is just not all that good. Drives me NUTS.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post
I don't know about you but I don't want any, "love," in my food!

Obviously, you can (typically) get a better meal from local places. Problem is, many of them, well, suck depending on where you are. I enjoy my food and I HATE it when I am hungry and go into a place and the food is just not all that good. Drives me NUTS.
AMEN to that!!!!! I am a huge foodie... and there is nothing more disappointing than a less than stellar meal!

Old 05-29-2012, 03:46 PM

219 posts, read 510,248 times
My idea of fun may not be what other's is so take this with a grain of salt. I'm a south-sider and my exposure to Jax is limited to the past 6 months but if I was me not living here and I visited me living here (follow that?) my week would look something like this:

1) Beach Day #1! Arrive and get settled early; head to Jax beach and people watch for the afternoon. In the evening shower and head over to Clark's Fish Camp

2) Kayaking day! Wake up early and head down to Villano boat ramp and kayak in front old St. Aug down to salt run, spot some dolphins and chill on the beach. Lunch at Aunt Kate's on the way back. Hang out by the pool and soak up some sun in the afternoon then head to SJTC for shopping and dinner at Capital Grill or Mitchel's then home for the night.

3) St Augustine Day! Wake up early with a bike ride either on the beach, through the trails here, or in GTM reserve. Head over to St Augustine for a tourism-filled afternoon and catch lunch down there. Stop by the outlet mall on the way back. Dinner at Palm Valley Fish Camp.

4) JAX Day! See the sight's... Zoo, Cummer, Riverwalk, Cattyshack if it's open (never been, sounds awesome though). Maybe lunch at River City Brewing Co. Afternoon drive over to Little Talbot then take the ferry and A1A down to TacoLu and chill for the evening by the beaches.

5) Anything Goes Day (aka Beach Day #2)! Load up the car with kayaks and bikes then head down to a comfortable spot on Vilano beach. Rent a boat or jetskis at BayRay across the street. Stop by Kyle's fish market on the way back up for some fresh oysters, scallops and shrimp and dine in.

6) Kayak Day #2! Road Trip to Ocala Natl. Forest and boat one of the gorgeous springs. Pack a lunch. Recharge at home and grab dinner at Harmonious Monks (again, never been but looks like fun).

7) Chilling out day. Golf, beach, pool... take it easy... soak it in. Maybe visit kickbacks or 13 gypsies (thanks for the suggestion madcap, it was great!). Movie at the WGV IMax... whatever requires the least amount of effort before the trip home.

Again, southside newbie with outdoors-y tastes.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:59 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,063 times
Quote:
Oooh... deep sea fishing sounds fun... I am coming with my kids over Christmas too... is there anything in particular that is season specific? I plan on visiting during each season, to get a good over view of what it will be like living there!
December is actually one of the best times to go offshore fishing in NE. Florida. The sun won't bake your brain.

The most active offshore species in December are;

Amber Jacks,
Cobia,
Barracudas,
Mahi, (Dolphin),
Grouper, (Gag, Black, Red)
Snappers, (Yellowtail, Red, Lane, Vermilion, Mutton and Cubera)
Kingfish,
Tuna, (Bluefin, Yellowfin, False and Big Eye, Skipjack, Little Tunny)
Wahoo,
Red Drum,
Blacktip and Spinner sharks.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
My idea of fun may not be what other's is so take this with a grain of salt. I'm a south-sider and my exposure to Jax is limited to the past 6 months but if I was me not living here and I visited me living here (follow that?) my week would look something like this:

1) Beach Day #1! Arrive and get settled early; head to Jax beach and people watch for the afternoon. In the evening shower and head over to Clark's Fish Camp

2) Kayaking day! Wake up early and head down to Villano boat ramp and kayak in front old St. Aug down to salt run, spot some dolphins and chill on the beach. Lunch at Aunt Kate's on the way back. Hang out by the pool and soak up some sun in the afternoon then head to SJTC for shopping and dinner at Capital Grill or Mitchel's then home for the night.

3) St Augustine Day! Wake up early with a bike ride either on the beach, through the trails here, or in GTM reserve. Head over to St Augustine for a tourism-filled afternoon and catch lunch down there. Stop by the outlet mall on the way back. Dinner at Palm Valley Fish Camp.

4) JAX Day! See the sight's... Zoo, Cummer, Riverwalk, Cattyshack if it's open (never been, sounds awesome though). Maybe lunch at River City Brewing Co. Afternoon drive over to Little Talbot then take the ferry and A1A down to TacoLu and chill for the evening by the beaches.

5) Anything Goes Day (aka Beach Day #2)! Load up the car with kayaks and bikes then head down to a comfortable spot on Vilano beach. Rent a boat or jetskis at BayRay across the street. Stop by Kyle's fish market on the way back up for some fresh oysters, scallops and shrimp and dine in.

6) Kayak Day #2! Road Trip to Ocala Natl. Forest and boat one of the gorgeous springs. Pack a lunch. Recharge at home and grab dinner at Harmonious Monks (again, never been but looks like fun).

7) Chilling out day. Golf, beach, pool... take it easy... soak it in. Maybe visit kickbacks or 13 gypsies (thanks for the suggestion madcap, it was great!). Movie at the WGV IMax... whatever requires the least amount of effort before the trip home.

Again, southside newbie with outdoors-y tastes.

Ok this is pretty much the most perfect sounding itinerary!!!! How December friendly is this??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville