Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 10:12 AM

44 posts, read 160,282 times

Advertisements

Ok, I know this is subjective, but I've given a point of reference in the subject line, so I hope that makes it easier. I wanted to get opinions on where to get the best blackened grouper sandwich in the greater Jacksonville/St Augustine area.

For anyone that has been to Frenchy's in the Clearwater/Tampa area, that is what I'm looking for. I discovered Frenchy's on a visit to Tampa about 6 months ago and I was annoyed I never knew about that place before! They are known for their "World Famous Grouper Sandwich" and now I know why. I haven't really found anything that compares YET in my 8+ years in this area. I'm hoping I just haven't gone to the right place.

There used to be this hole in the wall place called the Ragin Cajun in Hemming Plaza about 6 years ago that had an amazing seasoning on their grouper and it was excellent, but they closed very quickly. I've had the one at the Sand Dollar restaurant off Heckscher Dr and it was pretty good, but they recently had a fire there. South Beach Grill down in Crescent Beach has a great blackened Tilapia sandwich, but it's not quite the same as Grouper. I don't recall any others worth mentioning on the good side.

One place I definitely do not like is Beachside Seafood in Jacksonville Beach. I tried it there 2 times, to give them a fair shot and it was not good, couldn't even finish it.

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 10:16 AM

838 posts, read 1,868,976 times
It's been a couple of years, but I had an outstanding one at the Sandollar ... it's on Hecksher Dr east of Dames Point near the ferry landing ... they had a fire a few months back ... not sure if they've reopened yet

Old 06-22-2012, 10:17 AM

725 posts, read 2,561,561 times
Marker 32

They had good fish tacos but not sure if they were grouper. It was good blackened fish whatever it was.

It's called Palm Valley Fish Camp. The link is saying Marker 32. Hmm.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:24 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,464,405 times
Never been to Frenchy's, but the best blackend grouper sandwich I have ever had on the First Coast has been at Cap's on the Water in Villano beach on A-1-A just north of St Augustine.

http://www.capsonthewater.com/

Old 06-22-2012, 10:44 AM

Thanks for the quick responses guys, I mentioned Sand Dollar in my post and I agree, that one is real good and they are still closed down from the fire. Haven't tried Marker 32, but I don't think Palm Valley Fish Camp has anything except fried fish according to their menu. Went there once hoping for a good blackened fish sandwich, but it was too busy and didn't see anything except fried fish.

Actually, now that I think about it, LuLu's Waterfront Grille next door to Palm Valley Fish camp has a decent blackened fish sandwich, can't remember if it was Grouper or not. And Caps was one of our favorite places for blackened grouper for dinner and a nice view, but last month we had a bad experience with their service and food wasn't so good, but we will overlook that since we've never had a bad experience prior.

Keep em coming! I'm on a mission to find my new favorite place for a blackened grouper sandwich sometime this weekend.

Anyone been to the Black Molly Grill in St Augustine? They have real good ratings and they have a blackened fish sandwich and blackened fish tacos, might have to try that out.

Last edited by dudeman135; 06-22-2012 at 11:27 AM..

Old 06-22-2012, 12:35 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,384,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryde41 View Post
Marker 32

They had good fish tacos but not sure if they were grouper. It was good blackened fish whatever it was.

It's called Palm Valley Fish Camp. The link is saying Marker 32. Hmm.
Palm Valley Fish Camp is owned by the Marker 32 people. I don't like blackened anything so I don't have an opinion on the original question. I happen to love fish - but have never found a seafood restaurant here that I'm really happy with. Robyn

Old 06-22-2012, 01:09 PM

219 posts, read 507,709 times
Like 1/3 of Palm Valley's menu is subject to change and written in chalk on the board inside. My wife got a blackened something-or-other there the first time we went. Wasn't a sandwich but definitely wasn't fried.

Palm Valley Fish Camp is probably our favorite place in this entire area. I hesitate to point that out though as it's already packed every weekend.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:56 PM

4,793 posts, read 5,963,551 times
Wow, nobody has mentioned Chowder Teds on Hecksher on the Blount Island end

This place is awesome.....but maybe it needs to be kept secret for the regulars

Chowder Ted's - Northside - Jacksonville | Urbanspoon

Old 06-22-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Wow, nobody has mentioned Chowder Teds on Hecksher on the Blount Island end

This place is awesome.....but maybe it needs to be kept secret for the regulars

Chowder Ted's - Northside - Jacksonville | Urbanspoon
Hmm...I've probably driven right by that place dozens of times, but never knew it was there. Thanks! Your secret is safe with me and the 1-2 other people that might be reading this post.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:12 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,384,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeman135 View Post
Thanks for the quick responses guys, I mentioned Sand Dollar in my post and I agree, that one is real good and they are still closed down from the fire. Haven't tried Marker 32, but I don't think Palm Valley Fish Camp has anything except fried fish according to their menu. Went there once hoping for a good blackened fish sandwich, but it was too busy and didn't see anything except fried fish...
We went to PVFC once for lunch. Nothing was local (except the shrimp) and all the fish was fried.

BTW - I just remembered that Nineteen at the TPC Sawgrass has a blackened grouper sandwich on its lunch menu - perhaps its dinner menu as well. Have never tried it. Note that the clubhouse/dining room is open to the public. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville