Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 05:18 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,874,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
And some people believe that the Landing can be so much more than it already is!
Thank you. It's not bad but it's weak...very weak...

FSU always paints this, "perfect," picture of anything downtown. Sorry, it just isn't all that great. Funny how everyone else can say it's not great but you tell us we're crazy for saying so. I guess we're all crazy and you're the normal one....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 05:44 PM

104 posts, read 339,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
And some people believe that the Landing can be so much more than it already is!
Ha! That one just about made me fall out of my chair. Thank you.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:46 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,467,076 times
I like certain aspects of the Landing a lot,(American Grill, Cinco de Mayo, Chicago Pizza, Mavericks, Koja's Sushi, Vito's Italian and Fionn MacCool's)
others not so much. (Available Parking, Panhandlers and some food court eateries)
I guess if you do live within walking distance and do not have to find parking and battling panhandlers, it is somewhat better. I don't even take my boat to the landing anymore as I don't like finding bums sleeping it off in it when I get back from a good meal at Koja's.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:19 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,243,199 times
And yet somehow........adding more shops & eateries. And yet, some shops actually expanding. And yet, it has well attended regular events.

So.......something's not adding up?

Is it plagued by bums & trashiness, with begging & deterioration at every turn? Where you can't even leave your boat for fear of it being hijacked by a transient?

Or is it a decent place to visit & frequent, with decent/good restaurants, a variety of unique shops, and awesome views?

Reality points to the second. Unless all those people, shops, events, and activity are a mass hallucination. Or The Landing accepts Monopoly money. The media is in on the conspiracy too, since there's a bunch of articles over the past year about new shops, events being held, festivals, etc. The techy guys have engineered a bunch of fake photos of many thousands of people enjoying themselves. It's amazing what CGI can do now.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:59 PM

4,796 posts, read 5,970,247 times
Interesting comments on Trip Advisor. Good reading the first three pages. I think that these comments would be a better overall picture of the current situation of the Landing. Not all the reviews were positive.

Cute, nice little indoor/outdoor mall - Review of Jacksonville Landing, Jacksonville, FL - TripAdvisor

Old 06-27-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Interesting comments on Trip Advisor. Good reading the first three pages. I think that these comments would be a better overall picture of the current situation of the Landing. Not all the reviews were positive.

Cute, nice little indoor/outdoor mall - Review of Jacksonville Landing, Jacksonville, FL - TripAdvisor

Yup. Here's the most recent posts from June 2012:

Nice place to bring the kids for an hour or so, many places to eat, have an ice cream, fun little toy store water fountain they are allowed to splash in. Down Side lots of homeless people and they bothered us more then once Due to the amount of Bars not sure if I want my family there after 9pm. Lock your car!

&

It is a shame that more people do not take advantage of the Jacksonville Landing and its spectacular views of the St John's River. My wife and I just love sitting outside at one of its restaurants (particularly Cinco de Mayo for some great Mexican) having some good food and wine and watching the boats go by, the city skyline and the birds and fish on the river. At night and on the weekends there is often free music in the courtyard of the Landing.

&

The landing is nice. It's a great view of the river. Not a day trip, really for the night life. Ok places to eat but nothing special. The bands are a hit and miss on whether their good or not. Not a bad place to go, just nothing special.

&

Check out Mavericks upstairs, disguised as a country bar, it has a different scene every night, from indie rock, to punk, to country. A little bit of everything. The landing also has tons of awesome restaurants there to eat there too.

&

Jacksonville's only downtown "mall" Not much shopping but tons of food!

&

Visiting so we went for dinner and a little night life jacksonville style. Ate or at least tried to eat at vitos italian resturant, dont bother it was not good at all. Music was great out in the courtyard. But unless you were there to drink there was not much to offer. Typical vacation souvineers but nothing more.

&

The Landing is starting to get out of the funk it was in for the last few years. there are new shops (River City Gourmet, Subculture etc) along with many restaurants and night clubs. Usually has live music in the courtyard on weekends.

&

This place used to be hoping, but a lot of shops and eateries have shut down due to lack of traffic. Needs to be brought back up to date to draw attention.

&

We had lunch at this spot as soon as we arrived in Jacksonville - great views with a lot of dining options with outdoor water views. There's also a water ferry that might be a good option to see more of the waterway. We noticed they had a free concert at The Landings the next night - so we went back and had no trouble finding an outdoor table at Benny's Steak and Seafood ( a little pricey but good) with a great view of the concert. A fun night. As far as the shopping at The Landings itself - seems a little tired, with a dwindling number of stores. For shopping go to an area of town called St. Johns shopping complex - it's huge and has every store imaginable.

Different opinions, shocking!

Old 06-28-2012, 06:25 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,874,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post

Different opinions, shocking!
And many of them don't agree with yours...shocking!

Old 06-28-2012, 08:31 AM

That's fine?

Old 06-28-2012, 09:58 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,467,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
Is it plagued by bums & trashiness, with begging & deterioration at every turn? Where you can't even leave your boat for fear of it being hijacked by a transient?

Or is it a decent place to visit & frequent, with decent/good restaurants, a variety of unique shops, and awesome views?
Amazingly it's yes to both! It is a good place to dine, party and shop if you like nic-nacks and there's a definite homeless/bum/panhandler and parking problem.

And when you learn comprehend what you read, you might notice I never said that I was afraid that some transient would be able to steal my boat, I said "bums sleeping it off" on my boat. Of course with you arriving on your Schwinn you don't have that problem.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:15 PM

Well, it must be a miracle! I'm at The Landing with a friend and it's vibrant! Cross country practicing outside, bike riders, live band setting up, people window shopping, restaurants full, gorgeous weather....

How could this be?

Am I to believe my eyes, or random people on the internet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville