Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 07:56 AM

45 posts, read 137,391 times

Advertisements

The zip for that area of Phillips and Emerson is 32207.

If you research you will find its one of the highest per capita income zips in North Florida, due to the area west of San Jose / Hendricks north to I-95.

This part of 32207 is one of the greatest places to live in Jacksonville, in my opinion. Like any upscale near or in downtown, think Buckhead in Atlanta, you will have million dollar homes less than a mile from pretty bad homes and some crime.

Great area to raise a family though. Its a traditional neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2008, 08:39 AM

549 posts, read 2,197,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Plese name some GOOD areas to live in Jax thanks
It depends upon what price range you're looking for, as well as buying or renting, there's a great deal to finding the right location.

The ones that have been mentioned are fine...and I'd also include historic springfield...which is not to be confused with the parts of springfield that are not within the boundaries....this is a very family oriented neighborhood, with lots of families with young children...and the neighborhood activities are fantastic

Old 12-26-2008, 03:15 PM

560 posts, read 2,066,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei Han View Post
Hi, I'm new here and was curious about what about this area is "bad". I was wondering as I remember reading that south and east are the better areas. Does anyone know the zipcode for this area?
That area of Phillips & Emerson is bad for several reasons:

- Although it's near some really nice areas, it's separated by railroad tracks on one side, and I-95 on the other. The proverbial "wrong side of the tracks"

- There's a public housing project on Emerson. One of the first (only?) in the Southside.

- There are (were?) a couple trailer parks on Phillips.

-Before I-95, Phillips was the major highway through town. There were tons of motels. After I-95 came, the motels turned into havens for whores and even drug dealers.

Old 12-26-2008, 11:19 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,333,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei Han View Post
Hi, I'm new here and was curious about what about this area is "bad". I was wondering as I remember reading that south and east are the better areas. Does anyone know the zipcode for this area?
Being a big spread out city, some of our zip codes are big and spread out as well .

For example, in RockSteady's quote:

Some of the bad areas include Philips Hwy. north of Emerson, St. Augustine Rd. north of University, and many of the neighborhoods on the outermost parts of Downtown.

I agree that these specific sections of street are not desirable, but just beyond them are some very nice areas. For instance, Philips Highway north of Emerson is industrial and it would be a lousy place to live. Behind the industrial buildings are some neighborhoods like Copper Circle and Larsen. Some of these neighborhoods, like Larsen, are on the rough side. Just beyond Larsen is San Marco though, and the vast majority of San Marco is highly desirable and very, very nice.

St. Augustine Road, just north of University is also mostly commercial and industrial. There are some older, run down apartment buildings nestled all around the industrial parts. So I agree, you would not want to live on that section of St. Aug Road, but just west of it is Lakewood, which is very nice and very safe. St. Aug Road also runs south through Lakewood into San Jose Forest and there are big beautiful homes in San Jose Forest that were well into the $400k+ range (probably a bit lower now).

Even the worst of 32207 & 32217 would not have you dodging bullets and the best of 32207 & 32217 is highly desirable and I would say 80% or more of 32207 & 32217 is very good and very safe....no worries .

Old 12-26-2008, 11:24 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,333,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florabama View Post
The zip for that area of Phillips and Emerson is 32207.

If you research you will find its one of the highest per capita income zips in North Florida, due to the area west of San Jose / Hendricks north to I-95.

This part of 32207 is one of the greatest places to live in Jacksonville, in my opinion. Like any upscale near or in downtown, think Buckhead in Atlanta, you will have million dollar homes less than a mile from pretty bad homes and some crime.

Great area to raise a family though. Its a traditional neighborhood.
I totally agree, and it's my favorite zip as well .

Old 01-04-2009, 03:37 PM

2 posts, read 7,212 times
Default Mandarin

Some of the Mandarin zips are 32257, 32258, etc., 32256 is Baymeadows but still a decent area. All of these are in Manadarin which being a native I highly recommend for safety and relative affordabilty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville