Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2007, 03:18 PM

39 posts, read 326,970 times

Advertisements

Any advice? I have read some other threads on this forum about the hardness and odor of the water here in Jax/St. Aug and I came to the conclusion that the water is harmless, perfectly fine as long as you drink filtered water which I do. But I did notice that the water leaves a residue (e.g. glasses from the dishwater are not exactly sparkling) and as long as the cost of a whole house system is not prohibitive I would look into removing whatever is causing the scum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 07:21 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall17 View Post
Any advice? I have read some other threads on this forum about the hardness and odor of the water here in Jax/St. Aug and I came to the conclusion that the water is harmless, perfectly fine as long as you drink filtered water which I do. But I did notice that the water leaves a residue (e.g. glasses from the dishwater are not exactly sparkling) and as long as the cost of a whole house system is not prohibitive I would look into removing whatever is causing the scum.
the residues and slime is from the water being hard, try googling hard water for all the details.
the only way to remove the hardness is with filtration, not those little pitchers or refrig filters but whole house systems that filters all the water in your home. on top of that you can get a reverse osmosis system for your drinking water.

whether you need these things or not is entirely up to you,many people do not have any filter systems and get along fine.

I have a complete system and wouldn't consider not having one, since you have noted the residue issues so I suppose you're feeling the need for one, good luck with what ever choice you make.

Old 09-30-2007, 08:18 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall17 View Post
My water softener takes care of the residue, flavor issues, etc. that you're speaking of.

You can probably expect to pay anywhere from $2000-$3000 to have a plumber install a "loop" into your plumbing system. The "loop" will allow you to have all of your interior water flow through the softener before coming into the house. The softener itself can be had for under $1000 (you can pick one up at Sears for $600-$700 easily). It's always cheaper/easier to have a loop installed when building a home, but it can be done afterwards too.

It's well worth it, IMO. I have no soap scum buildup in the shower, the laundry is softer and cleaner, my hair comes out better ....so many benefits, and it cleans the water and makes it taste really good (mine runs through my fridge filter after coming out of the softener too).

Old 10-01-2007, 10:53 AM

39 posts, read 326,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
You can probably expect to pay anywhere from $2000-$3000 to have a plumber install a "loop" into your plumbing system. The "loop" will allow you to have all of your interior water flow through the softener before coming into the house. The softener itself can be had for under $1000 (you can pick one up at Sears for $600-$700 easily).
Thanks, Riveree. This is exactly the kind of specifics I was looking for. You're an asset to this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville