Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2012, 01:31 PM

53 posts, read 113,363 times

Advertisements

I have a 2, 7, and 9 y/o. I'm curious how those familes who have relocated recently how are the kids are doing? Their ages ? What did you do to ease the transition? Did you buy or rent? Do you plan to visit your home state yearly? Holidays?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 05:40 PM

139 posts, read 355,497 times
We moved in the middle of the school year and it was hard the first few weeks on our 9 year old daughter being in a new rental condo, at a new school, not having her favorite things unpacked, different weather and scenery, etc. But she made friends and adjusted to school easily. It helped that in our home state she was in 4th grade, but we put her in 3rd grade after we moved because of the age difference. IE, compare the age that children start school in FL vs your home state so your child isn't overally young compared to classmates. Example - Florida children start kindergarten when they turn age 5 by Sep 1, but in our home state our daughter started school at age 4 3/4 because you didn't have to turn 5 until Dec 31. She would have been 1 to 2 years younger than her classmates if we didn't make the switch. And she was and is a straight A student.

Moving into a rental condo that we didnt like wasn't a good move for our family. We missed our own furniture and things. Ideas that can help your child with the transition - having them join activities like sports or dance lessons right away, attending camps, planning trips to Disney World or other theme parks, letting them visit the area before you move, and for your older children let them visit the houses you are considering buying. We visit back home about 2 to 3 times a year and spend some holidays there and others here. We've had lots of visitors and that's great too, especially when cousins or other kids visit. Good Luck.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:22 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,606 times
Kids have been fine. Kids are much tougher than parents give them credit for. Don't worry so much about them. Just give them a good place to call home and no need to worry at all.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:00 PM

222 posts, read 425,621 times
I agree with Rick - kids are more resilient and adaptable than we give them credit for. We moved here 2 years ago when our kids were both in elementary school and, despite our worries and concerns for them, they did just fine. If you are moving into St Johns County you will find that there are always new people moving in so your kids will not be the "new kids" at school for very long. And because so many people move to this area from other areas, most people are in the same boat and looking to make connections and meet new people. We found our neighbors to all be very welcoming to both the adults and the kids in our family and we spend most holidays with our new-found friends now too. For us, we treated our move like a big adventure for the kids and tried to always show excitement about it which seemed to rub off on them.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:09 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,507,321 times
Like Rick said kids adapt and overcome, may take a couple of weeks but they will be just fine.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:15 PM

98 posts, read 207,232 times
Great question, tmoh. I too worry about my kids when we move. Mine are older than yours but still a worry, perhaps more so because my boys will be 12, 14 and 16 when we move. I mostly worry about the oldest who has his set group of friends and will be entering 11th grade when we move. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville