Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 06:24 AM

77 posts, read 237,852 times

Advertisements

We moved from an 'A' school in Duval county to PVPV, and the differences were astounding. Like hlauburn said, the kids get a resource every day (library, art, music, PE, media lab) whereas in Duval my son was lucky to get a resource like music once every 10 days (then with holidays and early release it would be even longer). My son will be going into 2nd grade in the fall--he loves it there. There are lots of ways for parents to be involved as well. Like other online review type places, the angry or never happy people are the most likely to sound off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 07:47 AM

196 posts, read 427,498 times
We are moving from Duval to St John's and my children will be attending PVPV this fall. I will have a girl entereing into Kindergarten, a boy entering into second grade and a girl entering into 5th grade. We have debated about what to do (especially with a rising 5th grader!) and have decided that the benefits FAR outweigh the potential negatives. The school that we attend in Duval is an A rated school and considered one of the best of the best. We love our school, but when I went and toured PVPV, I was blown away at how much my children were NOT getting. We truly feel that moving them to the new school district and all the extra's they are going to receive by doing so, is one of the best gifts we can give our children.

I also have friends that previously had their children in private school in town and have now moved out to the beach and have their kids at PVPV. The size of the school was an adjustment, but the quaility of the school they feel is better than the private school their children were attending in town. I have not met one person (kids or adults) that did not love PVPV. Again, the ONLY complaint that I have heard is that some of the parents are a little snooty, but it is a large school so I figure there must be a lot of nice ones too! :O)

We are looking forward to getting out there and making some new friends! It will be here before we know it!

Old 07-18-2012, 08:23 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,504,595 times
Quote:
The school that we attend in Duval is an A rated school and considered one of the best of the best. We love our school, but when I went and toured PVPV, I was blown away at how much my children were NOT getting. We truly feel that moving them to the new school district and all the extra's they are going to receive by doing so, is one of the best gifts we can give our children.
We've been told again and again that this is not true.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:51 AM

615 posts, read 1,712,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger31 View Post
it sounds good to me. My daughter is rather slower in eating and she loves to socialize :-)
What about the lunch, is that any healthier that general standard in the schools?

The 30 min lunch is not a problem...just my observations from being in there during lunch! The school seems to handle it just fine.

I think they try to make it healthy, as far as school food goes, I guess. The menus are set by the school district, and PVPV has a bunch of orange trees, so there is always "free fruit" available. They also have salads available every day (I think). The menu is typical cafeteria food like spaghetti, tacos, pizza, chicken nuggets. My daughter has gotten to the point that she really won't eat much of it on the menu, so usually we end of packing her lunch.

The SCJ school site says they try to use whole grains, low fat cheeses, no fried foods, baked chips, fresh fruit...

They also bring in Dominos Pizza one day and Chick Fil A sandwiches another (for an extra charge).

We are still waiting on the Panera!

Old 08-10-2012, 09:16 AM

90 posts, read 175,196 times
I am looking at that school also. Moving next summer. I hope we get good input from this thread. I know not every parent is going to be happy all the time but I am curious to see the overall input from some parents. Also could you recommend a neighborhood that is family friendly..ie a lot of kids. We lived in JAX way before kids then moved all over the country (job related) and we are possibly moving back..this time with 2 small kids. Our neighborhood in NC is full of kids and I would like to find something similar

Old 08-10-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeRoma View Post
I am looking at that school also. Moving next summer. I hope we get good input from this thread. I know not every parent is going to be happy all the time but I am curious to see the overall input from some parents. Also could you recommend a neighborhood that is family friendly..ie a lot of kids. We lived in JAX way before kids then moved all over the country (job related) and we are possibly moving back..this time with 2 small kids. Our neighborhood in NC is full of kids and I would like to find something similar

It might help to share a little more about what you're looking for, particularly in a house. Price range, sq footage, lot size, old/new etc. That would help narrow it down some...

Old 08-13-2012, 10:06 AM

90 posts, read 175,196 times
Your right...lol. 300,000. We are in a neighborhood where there are kids in 8 out of 10 houses...so they are use to having a lot of friends around. Our neighborhood has a lot of parties at the clubhouse and pool...so that is fun. My daughter does cheer and my son is a swimmer. I work in healthcare so hopefully I will work at Baptist South...I loved Baptist when I worked at the beaches. Hubby is near butler blvd. as long as the neighborhood is good we are pretty easy to please. From what I have read I would like to avoid cdd fees.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:16 PM

22 posts, read 49,042 times
Have two kiddos and moved to PVB last summer. Kids were in 2nd and 5th at PVPV Rawlings this year-- great school, we moved from out of state and were in a 'top school' there-- and the kids had to boost their game here for sure but that's a positive in our book. Kids loved their teachers and classmates-- this was the first year that I had zero days of someone trying to get out of going to school, they truly really enjoyed going. There are some neighborhoods in that price range, some townhouses/condos for sure there or under, and some single families too. Odom's Mill comes to mind or Sawmill Lakes but I think both of those are Ocean Palms Elementary not PVPV-- though seems to have simliar reputation (and both feed to Landrum Middle). We're really happy here, and have no school complaints at all.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeRoma View Post
Your right...lol. 300,000. We are in a neighborhood where there are kids in 8 out of 10 houses...so they are use to having a lot of friends around. Our neighborhood has a lot of parties at the clubhouse and pool...so that is fun. My daughter does cheer and my son is a swimmer. I work in healthcare so hopefully I will work at Baptist South...I loved Baptist when I worked at the beaches. Hubby is near butler blvd. as long as the neighborhood is good we are pretty easy to please. From what I have read I would like to avoid cdd fees.
I feel like I'm constantly pushing it on here BUT we love Nocatee! Although some of the neighborhoods were rezoned from Ocean Palms this year, there are a few that will remain at PVPV for now. There are TONS of kids and always a lot of community activites going on at the waterpark. Of course, there is the dreaded CDD fees, but in our opinion, it's been worth every penny! The amenities are second to none!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville