U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 08:55 AM

98 posts, read 185,963 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks. I searched the forum but couldn't find an answer to this. For those people living in the newer communities in SJC and have their house on one of the water bodies they call lakes (I think they look like ponds), have you had any problem with the lake flooding up to your home? We are going to be building soon and I want my house on a lake but my husband is afraid of flooding from the lake. So this has brought about this thread. Would love to hear any pros and cons to living on lake vs. preserve. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 09:54 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,616,591 times
They are retention ponds. Our house has never flooded and we are right on the water. The lots are designed so that water flows into the ponds and away from the homes. The water definitely rises after a big storm. But it has never come close our house.

pros- I love backing up to the water. My kids can fish in our back yard. My neighbor caught a six pound bass last week! We have a little row boat (not all neighborhoods allow them). We get to see Egrets, Blue Herrin, Pelicans, Huge Turtles.....and rarely small alligators. Plus plenty of other animals. I love not having anyone behind me.

Cons- If you have young kids, you need to be really careful. You hear about kids drowning in retention ponds way too often. There are snakes. And like I said earlier, the occasional gator. I just assume that any body of water in Florida could have a gator, and I've taught my kids the same. Some people say the Mosquitos are a problem, but so far we haven't really had a problem with them.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:16 PM

Thanks for your reply. I really would love to be on one of these ponds so it's nice to hear you experience with them. What neighborhood do you live in? Is the pond/lake really big? It sounds like it must be a good size to fit a row boat. I would love to live where we could put a small row boat or kayak in the lake. My boy are older so I'm not too worried about them drowning though I know that can happen at any age.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurmann2000 View Post
Thanks for your reply. I really would love to be on one of these ponds so it's nice to hear you experience with them. What neighborhood do you live in? Is the pond/lake really big? It sounds like it must be a good size to fit a row boat. I would love to live where we could put a small row boat or kayak in the lake. My boy are older so I'm not too worried about them drowning though I know that can happen at any age.
We live in Julington Creek Plantation. There are a lot of homes that back up onto ponds. Some of the ponds (or lakes) are pretty big, and some are smaller. If you move to a community like JCP, know that neighborhoods within the community may have different covenants. Some may not allow any kind of boat. Ours allow non-motorized boats.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
We live in Julington Creek Plantation. There are a lot of homes that back up onto ponds. Some of the ponds (or lakes) are pretty big, and some are smaller. If you move to a community like JCP, know that neighborhoods within the community may have different covenants. Some may not allow any kind of boat. Ours allow non-motorized boats.
Thanks. Good to know and something to ask before buying.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:59 PM

14,628 posts, read 18,782,788 times
Those "lakes" are retention ponds - man-made "holes" designed to catch excess rain. Many can and do flood during extreme rain events (like our recent TS Debby) unless they're connected to a larger system that has some means of draining them. Also - the banks are subject to erosion. If the erosion is severe enough - it can affect the foundation of your house and/or something like a pool in the back of your house. So I wouldn't buy a house near one if it's built "slab on grade" and/or too close to the water.

Also note that those "nature preserves" are often wetlands subject to similar flooding concerns during/after heavy rains. We built our house on a lot next to a marsh. We filled the area where we built with lots and lots of fill (mostly sand) - and then built the house 4 feet up from the grade level. The back of the house is about 150-200 feet away from the mean high tide line. The closest the water has ever come to us was when Hurricane Floyd passed by (the water reached the bottom step of the stairs leading to our back porch then).

Conversely - when we have drought - those things can dry up. In extreme drought conditions (like we had in 1998-99) you may wind up looking at an empty or almost empty "muck pit". Robyn

Old 07-25-2012, 03:03 PM

14,628 posts, read 18,782,788 times
P.S. My understanding is that Durbin Crossing has some issues with its CDD bonds:

Florida Community Development Districts Bonds

I would definitely retain a lawyer to find out the specifics of the situation - and how they might affect you if you bought a house there.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:58 PM

You can read about the retention ponds in Julington Creek Here I believe our neighborhood pond flows into the very deep Julington Creek, which flows into the St. Johns river. My neighbors both built their homes here 12 years ago and have never had anything even close to a problem with flooding.

During TS Debby, the pond was definitely up. It was actually beautiful. I wish it had remained that high. The shoreline is monitored pretty closely. You'll see workers in boats inspecting the shore and the drainage. There is a system of retention and detention ponds, damns, and drainage points to prevent flooding. Of course, any place could flood given enough water. I feel better living on the pond. When it rains hard enough, I can see the water flowing away from our homes and into the pond.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:25 PM

64 posts, read 143,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
P.S. My understanding is that Durbin Crossing has some issues with its CDD bonds:

Florida Community Development Districts Bonds

I would definitely retain a lawyer to find out the specifics of the situation - and how they might affect you if you bought a house there.

There is so much conflicting information about the ramifications of these CDD bond defaults. Would be really nice to know what the actual impacts are on homeowners in these communities- Durbin Crossing, Nocatee etc.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:42 AM

Thanks everyone for your input. Robyn, retaining a lawyer is a good idea. At the very least I will have my step daughter take a look as she's a lawyer but if she feels this is beyond her scope of practice I will retain someone knowledgeable in this area. ctown, I agree, it would be nice to know how these bonds may affect the homeowners and what the future will be for CDD neighborhoods. I'm hesitant to buy in a neighborhood with a CDD but it seems that so many of them in SJC have them. The ones that don't, that I've looked at, are either above our price range or not as nice as the ones that do have the. I have just recently started looking down there so I still have more research to do. Will be heading back down in September to check out the area some more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville