Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 05:11 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurmann2000 View Post
Okay I have to comment. I live in NJ and will be moving to Jacksonville next summer. I saw this thread and thought to myself, "Oh great, an article with must see places". I figured this would be a good start for when we move down here and want some fun places to explore. So I clicked on the link in the first post to read the article. Disappointing. Of the 10 things listed, maybe 2 or 3 sounded pretty good. I can't help thinking "is this all that Jacksonville has to offer?" There must be more.
I moved down from NJ about 2 years ago (just outside of NYC) and love it here. You won't find the, "vibrant," city culture you can find in NYC or parts of Philly, but we've got lots of great beaches to choose from, an awesome park system, TONS of other free (or very inexpensive) things to do, a great minor league baseball park and other cool things to check out. Oh, we also have (for the most part) incredibly-great weather (summers notwithstanding). You'll quickly get used to seeing the sun and get to the point where, when you don't see if for an hour during the day, you'll start feeling like you're missing out on something.

You'll be hard-pressed to find the things you may be used to doing in NYC/Philly down here. Most of what's worth doing around here involves being outside. If you're not into doing a lot of outside activities, you may be disappointed. Otherwise, you'll probably find it pretty awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 09:57 AM

459 posts, read 1,417,084 times
Wow. What a God awful list... Not trying to be overly negative, but that is really a terrible list. The Jaguars are the number one attraction? Haha...

Old 08-07-2012, 06:49 AM

98 posts, read 207,182 times
GadgetRick: Good to hear someone who has lived near NYC boosting Jacksonville. Don't get me wrong, I'm really excited to move down to Florida and I realize it's not going to be anything like NYC. I do look forward to the beautiful weather and finding fun things to do down there. Even exploring other parts of the state. But I will miss the ability to just jump in the car and drive into NYC for the day. And, believe it or not, I'll miss the snow.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:23 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post
I moved down from NJ about 2 years ago (just outside of NYC) and love it here. You won't find the, "vibrant," city culture you can find in NYC or parts of Philly, but we've got lots of great beaches to choose from, an awesome park system, TONS of other free (or very inexpensive) things to do, a great minor league baseball park and other cool things to check out. Oh, we also have (for the most part) incredibly-great weather (summers notwithstanding). You'll quickly get used to seeing the sun and get to the point where, when you don't see if for an hour during the day, you'll start feeling like you're missing out on something.

You'll be hard-pressed to find the things you may be used to doing in NYC/Philly down here. Most of what's worth doing around here involves being outside. If you're not into doing a lot of outside activities, you may be disappointed. Otherwise, you'll probably find it pretty awesome.
There certainly is "city culture" in Jacksonville, and far too much to list that's worth doing indoors (a strange way to catagorize things).

It's just not as widely known to the masses or obvious as in mega markets like NYC or Philly.

If anyone would like enlightening, let me know.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:55 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,733,784 times
I can never understand why we compare Jacksonville to NYC, NJ, Ch, Boston, Philly, etc. etc. when Jacksonville is the reason we fled those cities up north in the first place.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:57 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,503,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
I can never understand why we compare Jacksonville to NYC, NJ, Ch, Boston, Philly, etc. etc. when Jacksonville is the reason we fled those cities up north in the first place.
Amen, if I want to pay more taxes, I'll move back to Charlotte.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:17 AM

98 posts, read 207,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
There certainly is "city culture" in Jacksonville, and far too much to list that's worth doing indoors (a strange way to catagorize things).

It's just not as widely known to the masses or obvious as in mega markets like NYC or Philly.

If anyone would like enlightening, let me know.
Please do enlighten us. I, for one, would love to hear it.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:05 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,777 times
Shall we do #1-100, one every day?

I will, but you'll have to acknowledge each post for me to move on to the next number.

#1.

CoRK https://www.facebook.com/Corkartsdistrict/info

Really cool and unique things going on here all the time.

Cork Art District is over 80,000 square feet of warehouse space centered around artist studios and galleries.
Concieved by developer Mac Easton and artist Dolf James, CoRK (Corner of Rosselle & King) is located at 2689 Rosselle Street in Jacksonville, Florida.

The first stage of development is near completion and all the spaces have been occupied. Accordingly, the next stage is underway.

The
current occupants are:

CoRK West
1) Dolf James 8000 sq ft studio
2) Jim Draper Gallery 2400 sq ft gallery
3) Crystal Floyd/ Jamie Jordan (Treefort creative) 1200 sq ft studio
4) George Cornwell Fine Art Printing/ Noli Novak Fine Art & Illustration
1000 sq ft studio
5) Jen Jones Art Consulting Jen Jones and Donald Dusinberre 1200 sq ft studio
6) Sharla Valeski "The Next Gallery- Studio 5" 800 sq ft studio.
7) Paul Ladnier 600 sq. ft. studio.

CoRK East
1) Morrison Pierce, mixed media
2) Diane Rabideau-Wise, mixed media
3) Joanelle Mulrain, painter
4) Larry Wilson & Laurie Hitzig, sculpture and painting
5) Helen Cowart, glass
6) Thomas Hager, photographer
7) Shaun Thurston, painting
8) Chad & Krissy Weeks, photographer and drawing
9) Robert Bergeron & George Deacon, video
10) Koula Redmond, ceramics
11) Lynette Matyi, painting
12) Susan Ober, painting and drawing
13) Virginia Cantore, painting
14) Thony Aiuppy, painting
15) Joy Poulard, performance art

Contact the individual artists about visiting their studios.
Most artists can be found and contacted via Facebook.
Event inquiries can be directed to corkdistrictevents@gmail.com

As Mac and Greg continue development on the next stage, tentative plans are for 1) more artist studios and galleries, 2) a live music venue, and 3) space dedicated towards performance art, all which we hope to realize this fall.

You can also follow us on Twitter at
https://twitter.com/#!/CoRKJax

Old 08-09-2012, 12:29 PM

219 posts, read 510,016 times
I'll acknowledge you every day I'm around...

Must say, I've not heard of CoRK. I would definitely consider it something for artsy residents and not a must-see thing for out-of-towners but if you have 99 more things up your sleeve that I've not heard of, I'd love to see them.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:07 PM

232 posts, read 573,744 times
I'd be interested in the list as well.

You should create a new thread for it though. Could make a nice sticky when it's complete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville