Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 08:06 AM

285 posts, read 606,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
It's called honesty... who the **** in their right mind would move to Jax from St. Pete?
Maybe people who can talk without constantly cursing in asterisks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 09:03 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
I would be severely depressed if I had been living in St. Pete and had to move to Jacksonville. Jacksonville doesn't even look like Florida. St. Pete is beautiful with lush tropical foliage and tons of beaches with turquoise water and white sand, and a fabulous downtown with all kinds of museums, cafes, galleries, restored hotel, etc., vintage architecture juxtaposed with new, etc. One of my favorite cities in Florida.

Jacksonville looks more like Georgia, and it's a big spread out city. Not my cup of tea at all. Plus, it's very conservative compared to St. Pete which has a more liberal and Bohemian vibe (that may be a plus or minus depending on the person).

Old 08-19-2012, 09:12 AM

285 posts, read 606,379 times
I think it's just personal preference. I grew up in a retirement town like St. Pete, and I was so happy to get into a younger city like Jax. It does feel more nothern, but I prefer that. To each his own!

Old 08-19-2012, 09:51 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I would be severely depressed if I had been living in St. Pete and had to move to Jacksonville. Jacksonville doesn't even look like Florida. St. Pete is beautiful with lush tropical foliage and tons of beaches with turquoise water and white sand, and a fabulous downtown with all kinds of museums, cafes, galleries, restored hotel, etc., vintage architecture juxtaposed with new, etc. One of my favorite cities in Florida.

Jacksonville looks more like Georgia, and it's a big spread out city. Not my cup of tea at all. Plus, it's very conservative compared to St. Pete which has a more liberal and Bohemian vibe (that may be a plus or minus depending on the person).
Jacksonville and northeast FL. Look more like "real" Florida than St Pete/Tampa/Clearwater could ever imagine being. Evidently someone doesn't know what "real" Florida looks like, but then there's no real Florida left much below Ocala anymore due to all the northern immagrints that have invaded the area. There is nothing in St Pete other than the beaches and the Gulf that even remotely resembles "real" Florida. St Pete is a large glorified retirement community. Men's Health Magazine rated St. Petersburg as the "saddest city" in the United States in November 2011. The magazine calculated this ranking using the national government suicide and unemployment rates, as well as the amount of local households using anti-depressent medication and depressive mood surveys."

Old 08-19-2012, 10:47 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,319,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon4426 View Post
Maybe people who can talk without constantly cursing in asterisks?
It's the forum software that changes it. Prudes apparently run this site

Old 08-19-2012, 12:28 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
Jacksonville and northeast FL. Look more like "real" Florida than St Pete/Tampa/Clearwater could ever imagine being. Evidently someone doesn't know what "real" Florida looks like, but then there's no real Florida left much below Ocala anymore due to all the northern immagrints that have invaded the area. There is nothing in St Pete other than the beaches and the Gulf that even remotely resembles "real" Florida. St Pete is a large glorified retirement community. Men's Health Magazine rated St. Petersburg as the "saddest city" in the United States in November 2011. The magazine calculated this ranking using the national government suicide and unemployment rates, as well as the amount of local households using anti-depressent medication and depressive mood surveys."
I never said "real" Florida. by the way dude, I was born and raised in FL (third generation) been here all my life (different cities), probably older than you, and I pretty much know what "real" Florida looks like (although that was YOUR words not mine ) But hey, if you're happy in Jax good for you, quoting some bogus article from Men's Health doesn't mean squat. Jacksonville (for me) is just an unappealing city, but I'm sure others love it, the OP was asking for differences, which is what my post was based on. I only said it looks more like GEORGIA, and I'm not the only one who has this opinion. And Jax is just WAY to conservative in every way for my taste. But if you are conservative that is a plus. Different strokes.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:58 AM

62 posts, read 136,059 times
My husband and I are looking to relo to FL. In terms of job market, commute, cost of living, beaches, and most importantly, schools, Jacksonville is the most appealing to us. I realize it gets chillier there but I would actually like that a few months a year - the majority of the year will still give us beach/pool days. St. Johns Co is the top ranked school district, you can't beat that. We've been to Ponte Vedra Beach and St. Augustine/Anastasia Island and the beaches are beautiful. Sure the water is not as blue as the gulf (but I go to the Caribbean frequently and the gulf pales in comparison), but still beautiful and it has waves. My kids love surfing. Can't do that over on the gulf. There are plenty of palm trees and lush Floridian vegetation in St. John's Co. Last, from what I understand, Tampa traffic and congestion is up with DC and NYC. And Jax isn't bad at all. It seems every area has its drawbacks, but from what I've researched and from people I talk to who actually live in PVB or St. Augustine, they feel as those the have the best of all worlds. I'd have to give the edge to Jax. JMO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville